full moon for largmouths

My best time for largemouths is from 6 days before the moon to 3 days after. Does anyone else find that to be true... And how about the new moon, how do you make out then.. I fished today ,6 days down on the moon and it stunk only small bass.

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral

Never noticed, really. I need to track it better, so thanks for giving me the idea. I haven't really started fishing much this year so starting this weekend I'll keep a log.

New moon? I thought the old one was working just fine.

• mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,890 Admiral

The old one disappeared.

Captain Todd Approves

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,219 Moderator

It will make a difference during the spawn. I always seem to have off days fishing "the" full moon ? Fresh and salt. That may just be me.. New moon and full moon will pull water in a lake a little. I think they can feel it as does the bait so maybe a little more activity ?

"You'll get your weather"
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 631 Officer

Fished three days after the last full moon and did really well. TON of bucks, as you would expect around the beds, with a couple mamas thrown in. Was very sure to be careful handling the bigger ones because a couple were still full of eggs.

• excaliberexcaliber Posts: 13 Greenhorn

My absolute favorite time is 3-4 days before and up to the Full Moons in March and August. New moons are really good too. Heck it's pretty much always better fishing bass at night.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,975 Admiral

Wonder when spawning will kick in around here (central fl). The water temps are colder than I've ever noticed them for this time of year for the most part. Will be interesting to see it progress.

They have to be close here. I caught a full female against the bank at sunrise last Saturday.

I'm hoping with the more normal winter this year most of the bass will spawn at the same time instead of more scattered.

Captain Todd Approves

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,963 Captain

When I was young, grandpa would say, Bass feed on the full moon at night and during that time gorge because it is easiest for them to catch Prey. They get worked up for the few days before the full moon because they know it is coming.
    I think it is something old timers knew real well back in the day. When you are fishing for your meal, you pay attention. I have seen tilapia beds already, according to my Okeechobee Guru, he says they build off of bass beds, so it could be scattered somewhat.
    Okeechobee is so muddy now, no grass to keep it filtered.

Last weekend at the pond I saw what appeared to be beds, but I couldn't see anything on them. However they appeared to be too small to be bass or tilapia.

I'm sure the retention pond by my house has great night fishing. The lake is 2 acres and I doubt gets deeper than 5-7' and most of it is 2-4'. It is a little murky, but it is void of any cover. I have only tried it once at night.

Captain Todd Approves

• FlecFlec Posts: 423 Deckhand

I was on Lake Kissimmee this past Friday and the water temp ranged from 72 degrees at sunrise to 80 degrees at 4pm. Don't be surprised if most of the fish have already done their spawning with water that warm already. Fishing sucked by the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file