2/6/18 Early season February tarpon action in Islamorada!

Great day on the water with Larry and his son Joe! They've fished at bud n mary's the last 5 years or so and wanted to fish with me. They were after action but Larry said a tarpon was on his bucket list though he knew they aren't always easy to get this time of year. So we decided to mix it up a bit. Mackerel fishing was very good early on with lots of decent size fish. After an hour or so of that we had enough and then gave the tarpon a try. The water was still a little chilly but just getting in that range where you may get a shot or two. Well we were lucky and Larry got to catch two tarpon, one about 110 lbs and the other about 140 lbs! Big migraters that we often see in the early part of season. We stuck it out and tried to get Joe one but didn't have any more bites the last hour or so that we fished, but the tide had slowed down and things seem to quiet down. Anyways a great day any day you get a tarpon this time of year. Larry and Joe can't wait to come back next year to do it again. Back at it tomorrow though I think I'll be doing mostly dinner fishing the next two days with my regular customers Steve and Jim. The tarpon should stick around as long as it stays warm, can be a little hit or miss this early in the year but definitely a good possibility especially when conditions are favorable.

Capt. Rick Stanczyk
Instagram: @richardstanczyk
Facebook: Islamorada Tarpon Fishing

Florida Keys Fishing
Florida Keys Fishing Reports
Bud n' Mary's Fishing Marina
since 1944!

Replies

• Capt HansenCapt Hansen Posts: 24 Greenhorn

I sure like to see this, I'll be in Marathon next month and hope to have a shot at some tarpon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file