Don Garlits, 86 years old and going strong.

ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a15933028/don-garlits-dodge-challenger-srt-demon/

"This is a man who has nearly burned to death twice, trapped inside a nitro fireball after high-speed engine explosions. One particularly harrowing incident, a planetary-gearbox failure at 25,000 rpm, mutilated his lower legs. Another time, a parachute failure at 200 mph sent Swamp Rat 6-B blasting through a metal fence, breaking Garlits’s spine. The dragster rolled, went airborne, and landed across a set of nearby railroad tracks. Spectators pulled him from the wreckage."

An interesting article.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• JabbarrJabbarr Posts: 31 Greenhorn

A bygone era. The drag racing sport will never reclaim the glory days of Garlits and Shirley Muldowney. I grew up near **** Bend Park in Bowling Green, KY and it was a close second to religion at that time in the 70s - early 80s.

• ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

You're right about that. I hearken back to the days of Huston Platt, Ronnie Sox, Grumpy Bill Jenkins, Steve Bagwell,
    Phil Bonner, Garlits, Dyno Don Nicholson, and many more. It was small town garages, backyard guys, "run what ya brung" guys pulling open trailers during the 60's and 70's.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,081 Captain

Got an autograph of his somewhere at the house that I got from the Gatornationals. Something impressive to watch (and feel) what those guys do in person.

Pretty cool article

• BayBobBayBob Posts: 664 Officer

Any Tallahassee locals remember the drag strip on Highway 20, talk about "run what ya brung"! My favorite though was going by there and someone had spray painted the tall tin fence with "Jesus Saves" in red spray paint, next time I went by some wag had painted "in his top fuel dragster!" with black paint.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

:D

God, save the South!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,102 Captain

A real legend in his own time.

• dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,690 AG

While this is a very good article by R&T, one thing is for sure, NHRA will never let a Demon run in any class in its current trim. The car has zero safety equipment for 140 MPH quarter mile speed.

“The car exceeded our limits of 9.99-seconds and 135 mph. Therefore, it must be brought into compliance with the rules and regulations found in Section 4 of the NHRA Rulebook.”

“We currently have guidelines in place that allow new (2008 and newer) performance models to run as quick as 10.00-seconds provided they are stock vehicles as delivered from the factory,” Gray explained. “However, once a competitor runs 9.99-seconds or quicker, there are a number of changes that would need to be made to a stock vehicle in order for it to be accepted for competition.”

That’s why you’ll see the tag line “Officially Banned by the NHRA” used in Dodge’s national ad campaign for the car.

Middle East - Those who enjoy taking from the U.S. taxpayer while contributing nothing.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,608 Captain
    edited February 10 #9

@ferris1248 said:
    You're right about that. I hearken back to the days of Huston Platt, Ronnie Sox, Grumpy Bill Jenkins, Steve Bagwell,
    Phil Bonner, Garlits, Dyno Don Nicholson, and many more. It was small town garages, backyard guys, "run what ya brung" guys pulling open trailers during the 60's and 70's.

I remember watching "Dandy" **** Landy pulling plugs between rounds, and who could forget Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick?

Was honored to help push Garlits back to the line after a burnout in 72' or 73', before top fuelers had a reverse gear. He won the "Gateway Nationals" that year.

( Ha! The auto censor removed "Richard" Landy's name. )

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,920 Captain

There was a time that any word or name that could be substituted for an offensive body part was banned and blocked.
    Had to get creative to get your point across.

There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

@dstockwell said:
    While this is a very good article by R&T, one thing is for sure, NHRA will never let a Demon run in any class in its current trim. The car has zero safety equipment for 140 MPH quarter mile speed.

“The car exceeded our limits of 9.99-seconds and 135 mph. Therefore, it must be brought into compliance with the rules and regulations found in Section 4 of the NHRA Rulebook.”

“We currently have guidelines in place that allow new (2008 and newer) performance models to run as quick as 10.00-seconds provided they are stock vehicles as delivered from the factory,” Gray explained. “However, once a competitor runs 9.99-seconds or quicker, there are a number of changes that would need to be made to a stock vehicle in order for it to be accepted for competition.”

That’s why you’ll see the tag line “Officially Banned by the NHRA” used in Dodge’s national ad campaign for the car.

Those restrictions can be easily overcome. Cut off switch, approved roll cage, driver restraint system, a few other mods and they are ready to go. I suspect we'll see the Demon on the track very soon. I imagine you'd need a comp license too.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,690 AG

Yea, but I believe FCA thought they would be able to just drive up to the track and run, and that won't happen.

Middle East - Those who enjoy taking from the U.S. taxpayer while contributing nothing.
  • 76carman76carman Posts: 260 Deckhand

I remember all those names as they came to run at Yellow River and Newton County strips. I saw Marvin Schwartz do a burnout on top Of Garlit's foot. The resulting commentary was colorful to say the least. In these days of button-down mentalities I doubt we will see their equals again.

For those of you who haven't undertaken the pilgrimage, Garlit's museum is less than two minutes from the Hwy. 484/I-75 intersection here in Ocala. It is well worth the trip. I guarantee that all the oldtimers here will have an acute case of nostalgia,

I've driven by that museum a thousand times, meaning to stop. I need to do so.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,608 Captain

@ferris1248 said:

Only ten or twelve times for us.

Next time, for sure.

• stc1993stc1993 Posts: 4,199 Captain

@ferris1248 said:

I have too. All the trips we've taken to Tampa & Orlando & I've never stopped.

I need to put it on the list to see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file