New guy could use help

NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 31 Greenhorn

I just bought a home in Burnt Store Marina and will be spending a few months down here every winter avoiding the cold winds of New Jersey. I towed my 17' skiff down so I can go fishing. So far I'm not making out well but it is a learning experience. One of my issues if learning local place names. I hear about "The Causeway" or "The Trestles" but I don't see this names on my Navionics or Garmin charts.

Is there a local source for this information that I can log in to? Or any recommended paper chart with the local names on it?

Thanks,

Gene

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them,

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,611 Admiral
    edited February 4 #2

I'm not aware of one. I'd just ask around the marina, and consider taking a trip or three with one of the local guides. Good luck.

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 576 Officer

The trussels normally is normally referring to the Rail Road trussels that cross over the Caloosahatchee River between Ft Myers and N Ft Myers. It is close to the I-75 span that crosses the caloosahatchee.

The "causeway" is normally referring to the Sanibel Causeway. There are 3 bridge spans. A, B & C.
    A span is the first bridge from the mainland with the most vertical clearance. B span is low. C span has decent clearance and is the closest to Sanibel Island.

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,601 Captain
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 31 Greenhorn

Thanks for this, Kmagnuss. That's just what I needed. I did take a trip with a local guide and he was very helpful. I'm going with him again next week.

I need to explore some more but this wind has been tough. Maybe in the next few weeks it will calm down. I've been to Bokiella reef a few times and not done much. Picked up a few trout in the mangroves. Lot to learn.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them,

• TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 279 Deckhand

There is a lot to learn - that is most of the fun. Fishing is not easy here unless you are just after trout. I found I have to work pretty hard and be dedicated to catch reds and good snook on artificials and fly through the winter. I found early AMs (heading out in the dark) and evenings into dark most productive times to fish in general. Also least crowded. (Or you can join the no sleep club like Kmagnus - that is too hard core for me.)

It helps to have the right kind of boat that runs skinny as the winter tides are extremely low. It really helps to spend a lot of time on the water to develop some patterns on what the fish are doing not that has helped this year due to weather. Can't get any long term pattern happening at all this year. Fishing Franks does have good maps etc on it. Good resource for locations. Not sure fish reports are super timely or accurate but it is a start if you beginning from scratch.

Have fun and give other fisherman lots of space and you will fit right in.

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,601 Captain

Best advice I ever received was to keep a journal. You'll be amazed at what you can pattern if you look back at a thorough journal. You've forgotten more than you remember you've forgotten. :smiley:

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 77 Greenhorn

I second that.
    Time of day, moon phase, tide, temp and location. What bait or lure I has success on. I should include water color/clarity but I seem to always forget.

It helps me out greatly. Tide and temp. Seem to be the big factors, at least for me.

Hope this helps

• NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 31 Greenhorn

I've kept a journal since 1997. Date, time of time, moon, wind, air and water temp, bait, target species, catch, comments, But so far my log down here is pretty empty in the catch column. I did catch a 20" snook today. Water really warmed up (77) hope that turns them on.

Trolling motor quit working today. That's gonna make it tough to fish the skinny water.

• JC_UF_ITKJC_UF_ITK Posts: 461 Deckhand

Welcome to the area. I live in downtown PG and usually launch at Burnt Store. If you happen to see a black Lake & Bay flats boat, say hi.

We haven’t fished much this year, but hope that will change soon. I’ll keep you posted when we start to find fish.

Josh

I’ll be out on Sunday. Probably going to work blind pass. I had a good day there a few weeks back. I’ll post after I’m done with all the details

We did ok on Sunday. We were just south of the power lines and the pelicans were diving. I power polled about 50 yards away from them and started throwing 3” white gulp swim bait. Must have caught 25 trout in an hour. Kept two and the rest went free. About 1/2 were too small. Headed up to red fish pass, caught our fair share of mackerel. We were throwing gold spoons, that seemed to keep them interested. 

The wind really picked up in the afternoon, so decided to call it a day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file