Four Deer And A Black Bear In The Yard A Few Minutes Ago

Went out to tend to the smoker (smoking grits/cornmeal) a few minutes ago and four does were eating corn hulls that I threw on the compost pile earlier this afternoon---maybe 35-40 yards from the smoker. We said "hello", and went on about our respective business paying no attention to each other! Very common to see deer in the yard--4, 8, even 12 in a herd at times. Then just as my wife pulled into the driveway a black bear ran across the drive in front of her! As close to me as the deer were! This is the first bear we've seen, though I have, on occasions, found tracks/droppings between the house and the mailbox a couple of hundred yards from the house. Living in the country can be fun!

Replies

• BayBobBayBob Posts: 672 Officer

Something big and heavy destroyed one of my bird feeders a few weeks ago and I couldn't figure out what got it, a bear makes sense. I'm near the south shore of Lake Iamonia not to far from you as the crow flies.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,090 Captain

Have deer daily. No bears to speak of but over the years there have been a few confirmed sightings in the area.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,820 Captain

Do bears, even like grits?

God, save the South!
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,749 Captain

Studies have found bears living in close proximity to people.

Like ... very close ... and the folks never even knew.

The critters, lots of them, were mostly nocturnal.

Population figures had to be re-adjusted.

( This was in Pennsylvania, sone years back. )

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 1,806 Captain

BayBob,
    Most probably was a bear. One crossed Meridian Road in front of me about 3 years ago just south of where Bannerman Road turns back toward Thomasville Road. Early one morning, an hour or so after daylight. Bears are here in our area, no question about it.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,820 Captain
    edited February 5 #7

I had a good view of a FL black bear, driving south on US 19 between Capps and Perry last year.
    It was between 2pm and 3 pm in the afternoon and before the Blue Rock rest area.
    This animal crossed the northbound side of the road to the median.
    There was a full size pick-up truck, and an 18 wheeler running southbound in front of me.
    At first, I thought it was a dog... This animal ran straight across the southbound lanes between the pick-up truck, and a 72 mile an hour 18 wheeler!
    And off into the woods...
    Man-0-Man!
    I know that truck drivers cheeks puckered up something good... 😳

Now a dog would have stopped in the median before doing something so crazy as that!

God, save the South!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,419 Captain
    edited February 6 #8

I had one run across the road in front of me on 67 heading to Cbelle. If I'd been 2- 3 seconds faster I'd of got him. He was at a full run. It was around mid night.

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,937 Captain

Bears... HAHAHAHA!!!!

There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • 76carman76carman Posts: 260 Deckhand

I am just as happy to not have bears as neighbors here in Ocala like I did in Lanark. The bear population there is NOT afraid of people and despite recent hunting is thriving. Just as glad not to have to cautiously open the back door looking for the critters.

• greenbonegreenbone Posts: 70 Greenhorn

Very seldom do you see a bear in Cbelle- it's usually the whole dang family!!
    3-4 is the norm

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file