Best Fishing Trip you ever had....

ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

A long, long time ago, out of Destin. A 36 hour over nighter.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 North GeorgiaPosts: 13,551 Moderator

Same trip.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,811 Captain

My most memorable fish 650# Blue
    Most memorable trip, taking my boys to Tropic Star

F the feds

And anytime I was fishing with my father

F the feds
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 758 Officer

Fishing on BOB with any of you mouth-breathers far surpassed any other trip.

But one 2 hour session on a golf course pond at Chateau Elan was particularly memorable.

edited February 3 #6

I've fished the golf course ponds on Hilton Head surreptitiously. There are some mighty bass in those ponds. You had to keep an eye out for gators though. My BIL got bit in the butt while hauling **** across the fairway one morning. Those suckers can move.

Great shot of your Father.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

From one mouth breather to another

F the feds
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 974 Officer

Tough to narrow down just one. However, there is a trip that sticks out in my mind every time I head offshore so it's probably the one. In two days Kamen and I landed 50 keeper grouper between the two of
    us via rod and reel on a commercial trip....this was back around 2006 when grouper digging was at its prime. It was also my first commercial trip and I hadn't really even logged many offshore trips at that point. At that time, we did most of our commercial fishing on stand up rigs. The fishing was incredible. I'll never forget the hottest steak I've ever experienced, which happened on that trip.
    Ten (10) gag between us in 15 minutes, all on a highly pressured public reef. Keeps me chasing to this day!

They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 664 Officer

The trip that stands out with me was several years ago fishing the Lanark docks between Christmas and New Years Day with my son. We were catching redfish and trout with every cast. The bite lasted for two hours. It was amazing how many big fish we caught in less such shallow water.

Terry with Joy in the background.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

A good day in Hilton Head.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,529 Captain
    edited February 7 #12

Best charter I ever went on. Captain Theophile Bourgeois Island Adventure. What a day!

I'm also a mouth breather who fished aboard BOB. Great trip for sure!
    Some photographic evidence...My boys and Dewey's son Auston.
    Oh, and Dewey.

Proverbs 13:3

That was back when Dewey was still using that Just For Men product.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,920 Captain

@ferris1248 said:
    That was back when Dewey was still using that Just For Men product.

That was a morning that you couldn't see a can buoy at 60 yards because the fog was so thick.
    We were all soaked by the time we got to the first spot and it wasn't from overspray or rain.

I've had so may great trips over my lifetime that I just can't pick one...

There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,720 Admiral

I really haven't had that one standout trip yet. But we've only had the boat for 3 seasons. Every time we go to the keys though, something memorable happens. Looking forward to it again.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,081 Captain

Already too many to pick a single trip and, honestly, the best are to come as my son gets older!

@omegafoo said:
    ...the best are to come as my son gets older!

Yessir!

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 2,694 Captain

@omegafoo said:
    Already too many to pick a single trip and, honestly, the best are to come as my son gets older!

Yep My boy turned 21 yesterday and we had many a great rip and hope to have many more. You have a lot to look forward to experience.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,102 Captain

Too many to choose one.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

Easter Grouper in 60' out of St. Marks.

God, save the South!
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 611 Officer

Best trip.......every trip with my son over the last 20+ years.

Best trip of 2017.....The third week of June, a Friday morning, fishing with my Dad. We caught his favorite fish (trout) on his favorite lure (Red 1/4oz jig with a white and pink Sureketch plastic shrimp body) as fast as we could cast. We fished until Noon and ran back to Lanark. We sat under a tree in the parking lot, ate our lunch, and talked about all the great trips we had been on together. His memory at almost 80 was still sharp.

That day was his last fishing trip here on this earth, but I know he is still catching them every cast in heaven.

It is very difficult to win an argument with an educated man and darn near impossible to win one with an idiot.
  • MonelloMonello Posts: 44 Greenhorn

Fishing the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. I ended up going 5 times in a 6 year period. Halibut, salmon, trout, flounder, dolly varden, grayling. Can't wait to go back. A few 50 fish days up there. Spinning, fly, deep sea.

Son's halibut is the 1 on the far left. 87#

2nd best would be the 3 months I spent in Yellowstone National Park. I took a seasonal job so I could stay in the park and fish. I fished 24 times and caught 84 quality fish. Brown, rainbow & cutthroat trout and grayling. Fished in a blizzard opening day on May 25th at 7,000 feet.

• stc1993stc1993 Posts: 4,199 Captain

Some good trips.

I'd like to do an Alaskan trip some time. Also the Island Adventure deal Brad went on.

Those are some spectacular trout from both trips.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,052 Captain

2008,third week of July. We limited out on ars, triggers and scamp. Plus big knot head bsb with some red grouper in the mix. 2 excellent days. Pics somewhere on my laptop.

@ferris1248 said:
    I'd like to do an Alaskan trip some time.

Yeah, that one is on my bucket list. I love some halibut and want to catch them!

@ferris1248 said:
    I'd like to do an Alaskan trip some time. Also the Island Adventure deal Brad went on.

Those are some spectacular trout from both trips.

Here's a reply from another forum about fishing in Alaska. It's not that expensive as you can control a few of the expenses.

I did a DIY trip. The first year was a lot of trial and error. The 2nd year went a lot smoother after I knew what to expect. Packing is the hardest part. Airlines limit what you can bring. I needed poles, reels, waders, coolers, tackle, etc. We made it work for us.

The first 2 years I rented an RV in Anchorage. This serves as your hotel, rental car and restaurant. We were never more than 3 people in the RV. 4 people would work but barely. Buy groceries in Anchorage before heading out. Taking the Seward highway south out of town takes you to some fantastic fishing holes. Many are world renown, especially the confluence of the Kenai river and Russian river. Along the way you will want to stop for many photo ops. Some of the destinations along the way are the town of Whittier, Hope, Seward, Cooper Landing, Soldotna and all the way down to Homer. The entire Kenai peninsula is Anchorage's playground.

You can camp 1 night then just dry camp the next. Dump tanks and take on water while you are in a campground. Other campers will give you good info on where to fish. The local tackle shops are good sources of where to go and how to do things. If you can spin fish you can catch fish when they are running. Heavy rains can put the runs down for a few days.

Other than fishing there are lots of things to see. You may have to get out and walk a bit. Buy bear spray, it's cheap insurance. I've only been out once where I saw a bear. The spray will travel 20 yards so you don't have to be very close to discharge it. A 3 second blast should do the trick.

A trip to Alaska to fish is NOT out of the reach of most people. It does take a bit of planning. Unless you want a 5 star lodge where you do a fly out every day. But the average angler can plan and execute a rewarding trip to a beautiful place that is still pretty much unspoiled by man.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,653 Captain

Nice intel Monello!

God, save the South!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file