Books specific to hunting Florida

spanglerspangler Posts: 50 Greenhorn

Can anyone recommend any books specific to hunting/woodsmanship in Florida?

Replies

• spanglerspangler Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    edited February 3 #2

And btw, is there an advanced search feature on this site that I'm missing? I also did a google search of this forum with "book" and "books" and no results returned...

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,784 Admiral

A single book.......probably not.

South Florida is so different from North Florida which has some differences from West Florida, which is almost Alabama.

Even something which would seem almost universal such as gator hunting can have great differences between regions, in the case of gators they types of waterways and the effects of cold weather being significant.

And then there is something like quail.........which in the Tallahassee area is like South Ga. while South Florida is......different....if they've even got enough left to hunt?

was there a recommendation somewhere in there? lol

Never posted that I was looking for a single book..

• Central PA SportsmanCentral PA Sportsman Posts: 23 Greenhorn

@spangler said:
    Can anyone recommend any books specific to hunting/woodsmanship in Florida?

I try to make it down to FL at least once every winter; vaca for wife and I as well s a little hog hunting and deer when open for the friends we stay with. Couldn't find a book but did a lot of boots on the ground investigating as well as searching FWC info, calling and speaking with officers, talking with friends of friends. Then I found this web site and it can be very informational if you ask the right questions. Also recently discovered pod casts which can be very informational; try www.downsouthhunting.com (I think it was episode 22). Good luck

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,784 Admiral

@spangler said:
    was there a recommendation somewhere in there? lol

Never posted that I was looking for a single book..

I've gotten a little old so miss more than I used to.....like the (s) at the end of 'book' in your first post.......

Might be worth accessing the various Water Management District web sites and looking about under their recreation tabs. You will find places to hunt not listed at the FWC site and more than a little info about the property.

• EarlyRiser1EarlyRiser1 Posts: 120 Deckhand

“Bows, Swamps, and Whitetails” by Tim L. Lewis is excellent. Mostly about bow hunting Central Florida, specifically Bull Creek WMA (aka Herky Huffman WMA) and the Morman Ranch.

• smellybucksmellybuck Posts: 17 Greenhorn

One of the other threads on here suggest a book called "studies of the wild Turkey in Florida " by Lovett Williams. Sounds pretty interesting.

• gladesmangladesman Posts: 793 Officer
    edited February 4 #9

Been a long time but I read a book titled "Hunting Wild Turkeys in the Everglades" by Frank P. Harben - mostly about turkey hunting between Lake O and Big Cypress Swamp back many decades ago (e.g. 6-8). Nice historical tid bits also - I couldn't get enough of the old picturesit includes. The author lived and grew up around Lake O and knew Tom Gaskins (Cypress Knee Museum guy at Fisheating Creek). Darn sure not cheap (link here is only one I found that may actually have it and it's used in good condition - self published so this may be the only one available) - but it has the goods on turkey - boring to me but very thorough - although some of the techniques may get U a ticket these days. https://www.ebay.com/p/Hunting-Wild-Turkeys-in-the-Everglades-by-Frank-Harben-1982-Paperback/2756376?_trksid=

Alright everyone; quit suggesting books-I've already bought 3 today.

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 296 Deckhand

A land remembered. Awesome book not necessarily hunting but about florida woods and history

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 710 Officer

@hunterjw said:
    A land remembered. Awesome book not necessarily hunting but about florida woods and history

Still one of my all time favorites!

Illumination in the Flatwoods is a book about a guy that raised a flock of wild turkeys on his own land in Florida, its pretty interesting if you want to learn about turkeys.

@smellybuck said:
    Alright everyone; quit suggesting books-I've already bought 3 today.

lol, me too! Now I've got plenty of reading to do :)

@Central PA Sportsman said:

Also recently discovered pod casts which can be very informational; try www.downsouthhunting.com

Perfect for the 2 hour drive to my spots!

Thanks everyone!!

• gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,501 Captain

I don't care if you don't want another one no one mentioned:

40 years in the Everglades by Cal Stone.

Are you kidding me NO ONE

A must read for anyone that loves the swamps of So Florida

"sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,149 Admiral

@gritsnhuntin1 said:

@hunterjw said:

Still one of my all time favorites!

My wife has the original manuscript of land remembered...priceless

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,450 Admiral

@binellishtr said:

That's a real treasure. My Aunt took a writing class with Patrick Smith when he was just beginning to write A Land Remembered. She gave me a hardback copy as a Christmas Present after it was published, but unfortunately it's not a first edition. To have the original manuscript.. Wow!

DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • smhsmh Posts: 201 Deckhand

I would read anything turkey related you can find authored by Lovett Williams. His works will probably be more informative or technical, seeing as he was a biologist (and hunter). I also suggest "Totch: A Life in the Everglades". While not specifically a how-to book on hunting, its the autobiography of Loren Brown which chronicles his upbringing in the wilds of Southwest Florida. He was an expert woodsman/waterman, and his accounts of his time outdoors are fascinating. It's a pretty quick read.

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 710 Officer

@flydown said:

@binellishtr said:

That's a real treasure. My Aunt took a writing class with Patrick Smith when he was just beginning to write A Land Remembered. She gave me a hardback copy as a Christmas Present after it was published, but unfortunately it's not a first edition. To have the original manuscript.. Wow!

amazing! I usually read it every few years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file