How the Zara Spook got its name

I thought I would share an old story I heard long ago. If I remember right, it was told to me by a guy named Don that used to work at the now closed Shooter's Den on Aloma in Winter Park. His father owned the long closed Denmark Sporting Goods store that was in downtown Orlando. He told me that one day an old man walked into their store carrying a shoe box full of handmade lures. He told Don's dad that he lived in Pensacola and makes these lures out of cedar wood. Don's dad was looking them over and asked how do you fish this lure and what do you catch on it. The old man told him that you work the bait back by twitching it and pausing in between twitches (walk to dog hadnt been invented yet) and that it darts from side to side on retrieve. The old man told him that he has caught bass, trout, and redfish on the bait. Don's dad was in the Navy and said he had been stationed in Pensacola for a time, and said what do you call this lure? The old man did not have a name for it. Don's dad said well if it darts from side to side you should name it the Zaragosa because that is what I remember the hookers doing when the sache'd down Zaragosa Street when I was in the Navy. So there you have it. When he sold the company to Heddon they changed the name to Zara Spook.

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,910 Admiral

Great story. I lived in Pcola, and am quite familiar with that street - and no, not because of the hookers! I was there in the 90s, there were several nice restaurants/breweries there.

That makes me want to switch to the zara spook from the top dog. They work the same, but the former has a better story behind it.

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 3,199 Captain

Great story, thanks.

• greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 282 Deckhand

Awesome story! And I always have a Zara spook in my tackle box. It’s the very first lure I learned how to fish with, and it’s just a consistent, effective, and timeless bait. Use it both in freshwater and salt. Thankyou for sharing this!

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 369 Deckhand

@MRichardson said:
    Great story. I lived in Pcola, and am quite familiar with that street - and no, not because of the hookers! I was there in the 90s, there were several nice restaurants/breweries there.

That makes me want to switch to the zara spook from the top dog. They work the same, but the former has a better story behind it.

great story! i like the spook jr better than the original.

le se' bon ton roulet
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn

If they just made them out of wood today instead of that cheap plastic it would really be something.
    A couple of hard hits or a couple of long days fishing and the plastic ones start leaking and are shot. They don't last long these days.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,910 Admiral

Cudas are hard on em.
    But I kept using one until it looked like a cheese grater.
    Just drain it out and work it quick and hope you get bit before it
    gets full of water.

• tijeretatijereta Posts: 181 Deckhand

Good memories, I bought my first Ruger at Denmark's.
    Walt also worked at Shooter's Den after a short stint with Sports Unlimited and the unique Tim's Tackle.

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 92 Greenhorn

That's right. It was Walt. I could not remember his name! It was fun going downstairs at Denmark's. All of the baseball bats, etc... Walt told me that story one day sitting around at Shooter's Den.

• BeautyedfliesBeautyedflies Posts: 33 Greenhorn

i make them, and other old styles out of cedar and other woods from scratch. I have posted them on the old forum several times.

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,091 Officer

According to a story i read years ago where a magazine writer interviewed the angler who caught the all tackle IGF record Spotted Seatrout of 17 lb 7 oz., in 1995, The angler said the trout ate a red head & white body Zara Spook.

http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx?lc=AllTackle&cn=Seatrout, spotted

Giimoozaabi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file