Finally... one for seven tarpon tonight

Man this cold has just been killing me for the tarpon so far this year, but finally tonight I tried a new spot and it was stacked with em. Probably saw a couple hundred tarpon roll in 6 hours. Got the first one to the boat, and the rest were close but no cigar. They were hitting all sorts of different lures, colors, depths and retrieval speeds. There was just no rhyme or reason to it tonight... but the one bait doing better than most was a purple Hogy paddle tail, 2 oz, fished deep and slow.
Could have been a much better night even... I probably missed a dozen solid hits. I think I'll blame it on me freezing out there... it was 48 degrees when I left. That's a new one for me.

-Mag

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters

Replies

• Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 96 Greenhorn

That's dedication. I guess they bite better at night? Never fished for they, but have caught a handful on the flats incidentally on the flats during the morning while trout fishing... Fun on light tackle. Good luck and stay warm.

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,611 Admiral

Yes, they bite better at night. They have those huge eyes for a reason....and they use them at night.

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,601 Captain

@Firetruck1 said:
    ...I guess they bite better at night? ...

As @tarponator said... absolutely. The visual aspect of catching them isn't as good at night, and the pictures stink... but they typically eat better at night. I've pulled many all-nighters when the bite is hot. Would have last night if my hands weren't freezing.

-Mag

Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • mlangemlange Posts: 52 Greenhorn

48 sounds wonderfull. Jealous!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file