Cockroach Bay

Anyone frequent this place in a skiff? Is it pressured by a lot of folks? Any info would be appreciated

Eric B

Replies

• Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,210 Officer

Yes Eric. Many frequent this place in skiffs. It gets a lot of pressure and is probably the main launching point for the South Shore. The actual CRB is tricky to get into and is mostly a skinny area in the back. Some refer to the whole area around there including the flats as CRB. The ramp is a good spot to launch. The road dead ends at the ramp and parking is along the road leading to it. There is no dock so beaching the boat is required. Be prepared for a very long walk to and from your vehicle, especially if you get there late on the weekends. You can find out more info about the fishing in the area by reading threads on here.

Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,715 Admiral

And be careful, it never happened to us but heard about vehicles getting broken into.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn

If you leave anything in your car of value make sure its out of site. Seems like there are a few ramps with problems like this. A couple over on the Lagoon have a similar reputation.

• jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    edited January 31 #5

For the CRB ramp - get there 30-40 min before day break and you can launch w/o issues. After that it starts to pile up. It's a single ramp and you beach your boat to get in/out. Not a big deal to me. Being a single ramp if one clown has to get his lines right, plug in, undo straps right at the ramp you'll want to take a deep breath. Not terribly well lit.

I was retrieving my boat one night and my "Miami-radar" was pegged. So I stopped going at night. One of those "listen to what that voice in the back of your head" moments.

Seen a couple windows busted out, but I believe they said it was a couple homeless folks did it.

Had some chicken wings thrown in the back of my truck. Tasteless, but at least they didn't mess up my truck. Had a buddy have his trailer backed into.

Usual ramp antics.

My favorite moment was when I saw a gal in her confederate bikini going fishing while smoking - leather skin. She was shore fishing. All good, except the fishing knife on the side made the outfit. "Welcome to the Southshore."

I pretty much stopped fishing CRB because of all the pressure; good kayaking though.

Go to Beanies after for a couple beers.

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,820 Captain

@jbdba01 said:

My favorite moment was when I saw a gal in her confederate bikini going fishing while smoking - leather skin. She was shore fishing. All good, except the fishing knife on the side made the outfit. "Welcome to the Southshore."

Did you get her phone #?

Asking, for a friend... :#

God, save the South!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,715 Admiral

@jbdba01 We watched 3 guys try to get a 14' john boat onto a flat trailer for a solid 30 minutes....I guess they didn't understand that 2 of them could have picked the boat up and centered it on the trailer pretty easily. We were always there before 6am and never had issues getting in. Getting out around 1200-2pm was a different story. I always turned around so the truck was facing the ramp. Just made things a little easier. You're right about it being poorly lit, it's not lit at all I knew of.

Good fishing though.

People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,820 Captain

@Soda Popinski said:
    @jbdba01 We watched 3 guys try to get a 14' john boat onto a flat trailer for a solid 30 minutes....I guess they didn't understand that 2 of them could have picked the boat up and centered it on the trailer pretty easily.
    Good fishing though.

Guess, No one ever showed them, that was possible! :D

God, save the South!
  • DavejDavej Posts: 21 Greenhorn

If you want to fish CRB, use the ramp at Simmons Park. Much safer place to go, nice ramp and facilities, and only a 10 minute boat ride to CRB. Ramp fee is $7.00, but it has a lot of amenities, and is secure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file