Fisherman in the South East Florida area? Need advice.

DiegoBianchiDiegoBianchi Posts: 6 Greenhorn

So, for awhile now, I have been bottom fishing the small reefs out of boca raton. Its good fun and all catching the groupers and snappers but I'm really looking into catching the kingfish and wahoo. Anyone have some advice? Im based in Boca Raton.
Thanks!

Replies

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 792 Officer

Trolling using a poor mans down rigger dragging a wire rigged ballyhoo has worked well for me.
    I troll in between 100 to 200 foot of water. The idea is to get the bait down as deep as possible. Wire is a must.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 1,747 Captain

Post on the SE section with the same question. You'll get plenty of advice.

• GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 117 Deckhand

Like Timmcollins said you definitely want wire. There is also a king fish rig that has a stinger hook setup which is good for the kings. I don't use it because I normally target Mahi but have caught Kings, Bonita, etc with the Ballyhoo setup while fishing for Mahi. The folks that target kings in the Ft Pierce area usually troll the 80-100 ft ridge so perhaps you want to check with the local bait shops for what's in the area you are fishing.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,235 Captain

Try a planer rig on a 40 or 50 lb. rod. Number 2 or 3 planer, 30-50' 80 lb. shock leader with swivel, number 3 1/2 Drone spoon with blue tape and a cold beer. EZ PZ.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• DiegoBianchiDiegoBianchi Posts: 6 Greenhorn

Hahah much different from the bottom fishing I do. Great help though. I have somewhat of an idea what I should do. Where are you guys fishing out of?

• DiegoBianchiDiegoBianchi Posts: 6 Greenhorn

Drone spoon with blue tape and a cold beer. EZ PZ.

A cold beer? That’s why I haven’t had any luck. Definitely bringing some out next time 😂

• gatormonroegatormonroe Posts: 198 Deckhand

I'm in the same boat you are, sort of. I fish mostly off of Marathon, at least until Irma killed my trailer down there. Haven't fished Boca in about 11 years now getting back to it. If you care to share any local reef tips, I'd appreciate it.

Most of my Boca experience consists of semi-blind trolling. We got a 50-pound wahoo a while back in 150 off of the Deerfield pier trolling a pink alien/ballyhoo combo. I'd call that mostly luck, though. That's the only one we've ever caught off of Boca.

Good luck.

• Lucky Hook IILucky Hook II Posts: 464 Deckhand

Simple, put out a couple flatlines while you are bottom fishing, make sure you are chumming. Try to maintain one deeper than the other, based on the current add weight as needed. I normally use from a 1/4oz. to 2oz.

Capt. Jorge Fernandez
    www.luckyhookcharters.com
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 451 Deckhand

@Lucky Hook II said:
    Simple, put out a couple flatlines while you are bottom fishing, make sure you are chumming. Try to maintain one deeper than the other, based on the current add weight as needed. I normally use from a 1/4oz. to 2oz.

Ya, just put out a live bait on a stinger rig. You'll catch them doing this just as easily as you would trolling, with the added benefit of catching grouper at the same time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file