Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,863 Captain

This editorial is well written and on point... We don't have any problems we didn't collectively cause ourselves over the years. It will take a bunch of money and a lot of determination to fix them. Doing something about the big lake is just a start - but it could be a good one if done properly. Hope our elected officials pay attention.

Capt Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • My opinion is the Sun editorial is written with common misconceptions about the plan.

That being said, 23 feet would make it a significant reservoir with extreme earthwork and erosion prevention costs. Remember, this would make Lake O look like a kiddy pool from a depth perspective.

Much more important is to clean up the water before it hits the Lake.

But, we will beat this dead horse until there is nothing left and end up with a useless compromise

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 753 Officer

i'm confused... if you dig out there, let's say a 15 ft. hole, don't you hit water that is already there ????

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 592 Officer

Since Lake O water level can only rise w/ a rain event or drainage from Kissimmee,
    What keeps the reservoir from filling up before receiving Lake O drainage?

Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • @saltysenior said:
    i'm confused... if you dig out there, let's say a 15 ft. hole, don't you hit water that is already there ????

Reservoir is above the ground .

• @Flatwater witch said:
    Since Lake O water level can only rise w/ a rain event or drainage from Kissimmee,
    What keeps the reservoir from filling up before receiving Lake O drainage?

Lake O drains a very large area North of the lake. Rain on the lake is not the issue, its the drainage basin size

• FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,712 Admin

A 20-foot high reservoir is nuts, we need slightly more land, land that we already own, but need to terminate some leases to Sugar to get it, to increase the footprint of the reservoir so it doesn't have to be so high....which causes all sorts of other issues. Namely costs.

Check out this video. Call the Governor and demand that we get Sugar off our land.

floridasportsman.com/2018/01/23/important-environmental-issue-facing-florida/

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,475 Captain

They closed the sugar cane in Maui. FL ought to be able to do the same.

• saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 753 Officer

they want land for a reservoir........u s gov. owns 100,000 ac. at Avon Park Bombing Range....State of Fl. owns 54,000 ac. at Kissimmee Prairie SP.....all on the river that brings the pollution.......I have not heard of any of these agencies offering a few acres for a reservoir...

• FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,712 Admin

@saltysenior said:
    they want land for a reservoir........u s gov. owns 100,000 ac. at Avon Park Bombing Range....State of Fl. owns 54,000 ac. at Kissimmee Prairie SP.....all on the river that brings the pollution.......I have not heard of any of these agencies offering a few acres for a reservoir...

Good points. We have the land, and incredibly lease a lot of it to ag and others. If we terminated these leases we could get the footprint needed to stop toxic discharges to the coasts and bring clean water into the Everglades.

• OK lets think about this and what makes sense.

everyone jumping on the "Throw them off" wagon.

So if a bunch of politicians decide to build this, and they buy the land but have no money to build it, why should they not lease it out. If nothing else, they get rent, and thE sugarcane growers keep the land cleared.

Clearing of land like that goes for $1500 to$5000 per acre, so lots of money is saved while all the politician make decisions on deals but don't put up the money to build it.

OK Governor and others have approved a budget, but without the matching funds from the US, it can't be built.

I see some really smart people on these threads but no one ever thinks past the first step.

It takes a lot of time and money to build one of these things and get them operational.
    A good example 10 Mile Creek Water Preserve in Ft. Pierce.

I built that back in the early 2000's and maybe, just maybe now its being put into operation.
    15 YEARS LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Most of us WILL be dead before this crap is fixed.

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,025 Captain

Raising the Lake level will accommodate future population growth “ Projections”.
    Projected growth is a hint to a future Glades System that will never be as so many have hoped and imagined.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file