2018 Snook Kill - Lets help FWC and Law Enforcement

Guys - not a serious contributor to the forum, but an avid reader, and a serious fisherman... my feeling is that snook are the only fish to fish for, and that everything else is bycatch... unless you are with family or doing some social thing...

So - lets help FWC and Law Enforcement - with this cold weather now lasting two days, its very likely that there is some damage to the population. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but if one of us sees some people just snagging or netting cold snook, we should report it. Number to call is here: 911. Yeah, there are other numbers, but with so many jurisdictions, they are the likeliest to be able to reach the correct party in the area - quickly.

I hate to see documented snook kills, but posting general locations and pictures so FWC can do an investigation...

Finally - some metrics... I know... I'm really going to get some grief over this... lol... I've got thick skin so bring it.

Count - how many floating and how many on the bottom that you can see...
Condition - fresh or been floating for awhile
Size - how many estimated small, med, and large snook
General Location - no need to reveal your secret spot, but a general vicinity, such as "upper reaches of the Myakka, near Snook Landing" might tell them... but didn't cover the outside wall deep water hole at the bend just down the river... lol.

I know that Law Enforcement frequently monitors (and comments) on the forums... and I've always felt they are out there to help us... so lets help them too.

GC

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?253878-Snook-Kill-2018-Lets-Help-FWC-and-Law-Enforcement#ixzz54dyqLjzp
Gypsies Call
SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
Old Town Predator Kayak

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 10,137 AG
    You should not call 911 to report snook kills. That could get you in a bit of trouble, or at least admonished by the emergency operator.

You should call 800-636-0511.

Or do it online, here: http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/health/fish-kills-hotline/

That said, with the water in Tampa Bay (at least) bottoming out about 54 degrees last night, I don't think there will be any major problems -- it's certainly not like the last kill we had -- but time will tell.

8726607_wt_24.png?hash=Fri%20Jan%2019%2017:05:47%202018

Hope this helps....Mike
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,560 Captain
    MEH
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 6,223 Admiral
    Of course I hope I'm wrong, but if one of us sees some people just snagging or netting cold snook, we should report it.

If people are taking snook period it should be reported?

Captain Todd Approves

• FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Call 911? Seriously?

And yeah...as Tarponator details...it hasn't been cold enough long enough for a significant die off.

I'm not hearing reports of many dead fish in the upper reaches of the bay.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 925 Officer
    Wow you guys are pretty dumb to call 911. The snook are fine. I've been catching them the last 10+ trips without issue. They are healthy, spunky, fighting hard, reviving well. Water temps are NOTHING LIKE 2010. Snook fishing isn't poor. If you are having trouble catching snook it ain't because of the population - check the angler...
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Well thanks for the info all... glad to hear the snook seem to have survived well through this cold snap. To clarify, my first post was regarding two different topics... 1 - the illegal taking of snook due to cold weather... law enforcement should respond if it is their jurisdiction and then contact FWC... hence my thought that the fastest way to get law enforcement involved if there is an active crime in progress is to call 911. At least, that is what my brother in law, who works today for one of the local PD's told me.

The second part was meant directly for FWC for data collection and tracking of possible fish kills due to the cold.

Perhaps I should have made two posts...

Anyhow, appreciate the comments... bottom line to me is that we have a great fishery, but we need to respect it.
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,277 Officer
    I find it hilarious to hear people so worried and upset about a little cold weather snap.

Truth be told the Florida ecosystem as a whole would be much improved if we had a "once every 100 years" cold snap or two.

The invasive exotics are out of control. Believe me, contrary to what some think, the native species would weather it fine and rebound quickly.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• winderbillwinderbill Posts: 264 Deckhand
    I find it hilarious to hear people so worried and upset about a little cold weather snap.

Truth be told the Florida ecosystem as a whole would be much improved if we had a "once every 100 years" cold snap or two.

The invasive exotics are out of control. Believe me, contrary to what some think, the native species would weather it fine and rebound quickly.

Well said!!! And, just ask red snapper fishermen how providing data to fishery researchers worked out for them!
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 462 Deckhand
    Some people want us to never keep another snook again, ever. Others never want us to keep any fish period. Others don't even want us to be able to go fishing.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 305 Deckhand
    Really looked hard at all my ICW spots Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Didn’t find a single fish cold stunned
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,277 Officer
    lukkyracer wrote: »
    Some people want us to never keep another snook again, ever. Others never want us to keep any fish period. Others don't even want us to be able to go fishing.

And the ones who dream of the C & R only utopia don't realize how short a trip it is from there to no recreational fishing. :shrug

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 305 Deckhand
    When fishing is outlawed, I reckon I’ll be an outlaw
    Kinda like Lee Van Cleef, or Josey Wales, but with a fishing rod
  • BubbletrailBubbletrail Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    Well said GratefulEd / Racer / and CB. I posted in NE and EC over the cold snap snook question on the first few days of freezing temps. We saw few dozen snook floating, dying or already dead, also one goliath that was 75-80lbs. No one was catching anything with the water in the low 50's. Didn't see anyone snagging or dipping the snook other than the osprey, pelican's and Turkey bussards, eating the ones near shore, I was so close to calling 911 on those guys. Only thing that stopped me was I figured if they realize how many fish are being eaten by mother nature they may put more limits and regs on them. And heaven for bid if some person that fished all day and caught nothing picked up a nearly dead fish and took him home for dinner. And again all the info given to the feds on Red Snapper was only used to screw up the seasons.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,454 Admiral
    I picked up 5 wheelbarrow loads of dead snook after the 1st cold snap.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 961 Officer
    People can eat em or they'll feed crabs, birds, and such all the while stinking up the beach/backwater.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 403 Deckhand
    The spring after the 2010 cold kill was the best shrimping and blue crabbing season I'd seen in years; just saying...

cyclical cleansing, nothing more, nothing less...just mother nature putting everything back in balance...observe, discuss, but just avoid the "chicken little" BS!

• skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,926 Captain

@ANUMBER1 said:
    I picked up 5 wheelbarrow loads of dead snook after the 1st cold snap.

Roflmao! 🤣😂

God, save the South!
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 483 Deckhand

Whenever a discussion about the FWC and snook die offs during freezes occur on here a few things must be injected about the FWC's past performance.

Because of the snook kill by the January 2010 freeze the FWC closed the snook season after that until further notice.

2 years and 9 months later after the devastating freeze that killed millions of snook the FWC opens the snook season on Sept. 1, 2013 by trotting out the Snook Man Ron Taylor to declare that:

“They're not to the abundance level they were in 2009, but they're approaching that,” said Taylor, the research institute biologist.

In lieu of the FWC scientists own previous age and growth studies, that was an incorrect and false statement to say at that time just before the September 1, 2013 snook season opening because it had only been two and one half years since the spring of 2010 when the snook would have started to spawn that year. The oldest snook spawned after the 2010 freeze would have only been two and a half years old and not even keeper length on September 1, 2013. The 2012 spawn would be half that length on September 1, 2013.

"Life History"
    "Females attain legal minimum size (current snook regulations) in about four years, whereas males require five to six years to reach that size. Fifty percent of male snook reach maturity at about 18 inches total length and about two years of age, whereas 50 percent of females are mature at about 30 inches total length and five years of age."

So, according to the FWC's own scientists prior age/growth studies what was said that “They're not to the abundance level they were in 2009, but they're approaching that,” was just FWC public relations political cover.

So when I see someone posting we must provide snook (kill) data to the FWC they need to know that when it is politically expedient for the FWC they don't even pay any attention to their own sound data that contradicts what they claimed let alone the angler's data.

@Tarpon Monoxide said:

Whenever a discussion about the FWC and snook die offs during freezes occur on here a few things must be injected about the FWC's past performance.

Because of the snook kill by the January 2010 freeze the FWC closed the snook season after that until further notice.

2 years and 9 months later after the devastating freeze that killed millions of snook the FWC opens the snook season on Sept. 1, 2013 by trotting out the Snook Man Ron Taylor to declare that:

“They're not to the abundance level they were in 2009, but they're approaching that,” said Taylor, the research institute biologist.

In lieu of the FWC scientists own previous age and growth studies, that was an incorrect and false statement to say at that time just before the September 1, 2013 snook season opening because it had only been two and one half years since the spring of 2010 when the snook would have started to spawn that year. The oldest snook spawned after the 2010 freeze would have only been two and a half years old and not even keeper length on September 1, 2013. The 2012 spawn would be half that length on September 1, 2013.

"Life History"
    "Females attain legal minimum size (current snook regulations) in about four years, whereas males require five to six years to reach that size. Fifty percent of male snook reach maturity at about 18 inches total length and about two years of age, whereas 50 percent of females are mature at about 30 inches total length and five years of age."

So, according to the FWC's own scientists prior age/growth studies what was said that “They're not to the abundance level they were in 2009, but they're approaching that,” was just FWC public relations political cover.

So when I see someone posting we must provide snook (kill) data to the FWC they need to know that when it is politically expedient for the FWC they don't even pay any attention to their own sound data that contradicts what they claimed let alone the angler's data.

Did you ever stop to think that in 2009 they may have attained OVERABUNDANT levels due to many years of spawning unfettered by any hard freezes? The 2010 freeze was not some kind of environmental disaster for snook, but I'd argue more of an environmental necessity. There's a reason why hard freezes in Florida tend to be cyclical.

• DoubleD!DoubleD! Posts: 16 Greenhorn

911 is for life and death emergencies (for human beings) Good grief. Where did common sense go??

• Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 483 Deckhand

Please read more carefully, no where in my above post did I say I was for or against the closure, I was simply pointing out that once the snook season was closed by the FWC in 2010 for the reason they closed it their own data contradicted the reason they gave 2 1/2 years later to reopen it on September 1, 2013.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file