More duck hunters arrested?

JaxQuackJaxQuack Posts: 75 Greenhorn
What are we doing to ourselves?

Anybody in Brevard County hear of some guys busted hunting over bait off Sykes creek recently, specifically Jefferson's Pond?

Trey

Replies

• pbsnookerpbsnooker Posts: 879 Officer
    There should be some members and officers from UWF that can give some details
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 886 Officer
    baiting is a big thing cause it works. corn at a wood duck hole is common enough.

My dad didn't raise me that way, but some folks feel a good shoot is worth the risk.

Does anyone remember the guy at one of the STAs a few years back? - he shot like 100 ducks and left em laying - said it was cheaper than a trip to south america to do the same thing...
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,916 Captain
    Ok.....here is what I have been able to find out to now regarding this "rumor"...Nothing official yet, but it seems a UW-F Board Member was ticketed for hunting over bait while visiting on a lease and hunting with a lease member(not sure if they were a UW-F Member or not yet)....Obviously, no one condones breaking the law and the court will act accordingly....As usual,....lets treat people "innocent until proven guilty".....Every time these situations happen the "first blush" is usually not totally accurate.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,809 Captain
    I wouldn't worry too much over it, Newton.

It looks to me like UWF's board members have probably accumulated enough Good Boy Points with FWC by yes-nodding and supporting FWC's nonsensical explanations for spraying schedules to skate on this one.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,027 AG
    If they would allow bait and enforce the limit and shooting hours everyone could have good shooting all over the state. The plantations around here plant and flood ponds and then dump bait throughout the season. It hurts public waters all around them.

For the record, I do not bait because it is illegal but I would support legal bating.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 1,916 Captain
    I am afraid "points" don't help too much with "baiting" violations...even when you are not aware....The law is tough....no hunting until ten days after the bait has been removed....so you could theoretically hunt a spot you had never been to, or not in a while, and no bait is present to warn you...and still get a ticket if the bait had been present over a week before you arrived....

We have deer feeders on the place we hunt...take most of them down long before turkey season...and are careful to mark a minimum of 100 yards from any feed, scattered or in feeders to stay "legal"....Not something you can be careless about.
  • on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,897 Admiral
    So were they arrested or ticketed?
    N. Cook wrote: »
    I am afraid "points" don't help too much with "baiting" violations...even when you are not aware....The law is tough....no hunting until ten days after the bait has been removed....so you could theoretically hunt a spot you had never been to, or not in a while, and no bait is present to warn you...and still get a ticket if the bait had been present over a week before you arrived....

We have deer feeders on the place we hunt...take most of them down long before turkey season...and are careful to mark a minimum of 100 yards from any feed, scattered or in feeders to stay "legal"....Not something you can be careless about.

I think you guys are in with FWC enough and I say they will. . .

giphy.gif

. . .skate!
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,286 Officer
    If someone were to be "In enough" then you would have never had any indication that it happened. I am not by any means indicating that it does not happen because it does. In the alligator industry certain violations by key industry people have been overlooked even when well documented.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 670 Officer
    bgeorge wrote: »
    If someone were to be "In enough" then you would have never had any indication that it happened. I am not by any means indicating that it does not happen because it does. In the alligator industry certain violations by key industry people have been overlooked even when well documented.

But that involves lots of money not “yes manning.”
  • ChetChet Posts: 290 Deckhand

So who did UWF ban? Or is the person even suspended until cleared? Or is it an inner circle thing?

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,373 Admiral

ya, i do believe i was banned for not keeping within the spirit or something yrs ago.. love to hear how this one goes, tru testament to the mantra

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,468 AG

@binellishtr said:
    ya, i do believe i was banned for not keeping within the spirit or something yrs ago.. love to hear how this one goes, tru testament to the mantra

Yeah....I cannot believe those guys banned you... :D

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • waterfowlerwaterfowler Posts: 98 Greenhorn

They were ticketed by Federal wildlife not Fwc

If it was the Federal people, I'm pretty sure that means they will have a court date. No paying a fine and walking. At least that's how it would be for Joe lunch pale. If your shooting on a baited lease your most likely not Joe lunch pale.

What's UWF's official stand on game hogging violators? Saying nothing is saying a lot! Don't forget to drop $25.00 in the mail and help make duck hunting in Florida better for ????????????????

Jr. where you at? Daddy got your tongue?

@Chet said:
    Jr. where you at? Daddy got your tongue?

I stick with what makes America great.. _INNOCENT TILL PROVEN GUILTY
    You still believe in due process...right Phil?
    Don't worry, there will be time enough to sharpen up your pitchfork and light the torches...or are we going to have an ol' fashioned "southern" Lynchin' ?

Besides, what has this got to do with me?...

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 844 Officer

It's pretty **** easy to lure in wild game with bait. Maybe you all that need bait to be successful should learn to hunt its really rewarding. What ever happened to the spirit of fair chase?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,373 Admiral

@duckmanJR said:

@binellishtr said:

Yeah....I cannot believe those guys banned you... :D

Hey Liar, did you ever apologize for lying about other places ive been banned? Mod's here should make people apologize for lying about someone else before letting them post again..thieves and liars cant stand em

Well Jr, for example if the man sees a person walk out a feeder and watches him feed and shoot ducks over it why waste time and money on a trail?

It would show duck hunter leadership if the president of UWF announced a suspension of the alleged offenders until it is settled. It would also be refreshing to see a statement out of UWF condemning actions of any game offense and that the offender would be banned for life UWF regardless of their position. I would hate to see any guilty by association going on.

I personally hope if and when they are found guilty they are stripped of hunting and fishing rights for at least ten years. Any one who would bait would keep shorts!

Well Phil...that's the way the justice system works...Are you a fascist?..Communist?
    And innocent till proven guilty would preclude any action till there is resolution. After all, you don't pay a fine or serve a sentence till convicted..No?

I know you are just salivating thinking of how self righteous you are and are holding the high moral ground... I don't suffer that.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,372 Admiral

@Chet said:
    Well Jr, for example if the man sees a person walk out a feeder and watches him feed and shoot ducks over it why waste time and money on a trail?

It would show duck hunter leadership if the president of UWF announced a suspension of the alleged offenders until it is settled. It would also be refreshing to see a statement out of UWF condemning actions of any game offense and that the offender would be banned for life UWF regardless of their position. I would hate to see any guilty by association going on.

I personally hope if and when they are found guilty they are stripped of hunting and fishing rights for at least ten years. Any one who would bait would keep shorts!

it was the president...lol

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

For someone in law enforcement you surprise me. Don't know about you but most people I know that got arrested went to jail until bonded out.

And yes, I'll take the high moral ground. I don't need a duck so bad I'm going to put out a feeder. When is the equipment sale? Someone wont be needing their equipment from what I hear.

@Chet said:
    For someone in law enforcement you surprise me. Don't know about you but most people I know that got arrested went to jail until bonded out.

And yes, I'll take the high moral ground. I don't need a duck so bad I'm going to put out a feeder. When is the equipment sale? Someone wont be needing their equipment from what I hear.

Well, Maybe you are not well versed in some aspects...You can receive a NTA ( notice to appear ) in some things.
    But to your point...How many people do you know that got arrested Phil?? ...you really should associate with a better class of people buddy...You wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea about YOU.

And I wouldn't worry about buying anything just yet...remember the whole "Innocent till proven" thinggy ;)

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Ok, Jr. Try to understand this. Knowing someone and associating with them is two different things. If I hear of someone violating game laws I stay away. I sure wouldn't invite them into an organizations management. And if they did happen to make it in I sure wouldn't protect them. I would try to protect the organization. its all about where your loyalties lie, with a violator or the org you represent.

edited January 28 #27

UWF’s stance on this is the same as their stance on overspraying or spraying non-targeted plants.

“Innocent until proven guilty by 37 eyewitnesses, multiple videos, signed confessions, and condemnation by God, Jesus, and the Pope.”

@TGunn said:
    UWF’s stance on this is the same as their stance on overspraying or spraying non-targeted plants.

“Innocent until proven guilty by 37 eyewitnesses, multiple videos, signed confessions, and condemnation by God, Jesus, and the Pope.”

Are you going to be at the Lake O plant meeting on Feb 8th?...

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

@Chet said:
    Ok, Jr. Try to understand this. Knowing someone and associating with them is two different things. If I hear of someone violating game laws I stay away. I sure wouldn't invite them into an organizations management. And if they did happen to make it in I sure wouldn't protect them. I would try to protect the organization. its all about where your loyalties lie, with a violator or the org you represent.

I...am not representing ANY organization. Just passing on a little civics lesson.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Sorry Jr. Thought I read some where, you are the go to guy and face of UWF at Goodwin. Are you saying that's not the case? Would that make you just another Joe lunch pale, cell jumper in a quest for the elusive Black-Bellied?

Still waiting for some kind of leadership on the issue. Like they say, saying nothing is saying a lot!

@Chet said:
    Sorry Jr. Thought I read some where, you are the go to guy and face of UWF at Goodwin. Are you saying that's not the case? Would that make you just another Joe lunch pale, cell jumper in a quest for the elusive Black-Bellied?

Still waiting for some kind of leadership on the issue. Like they say, saying nothing is saying a lot!

Well PHIL... I am...and have been.... for about a DECADE now... just another Johnny Lunchpail who tosses in his $25 to an organization that has done more for waterfowlers in Florida...than any other. Do you think DU or Delta are lobbying for you here on any issue..do you think they are doing anything for you here?

As far as me individually... Yes, the powers that be recognize that I am the guy they wanted input from for TM Goodwin issues and changes. I did not invite myself to sit on the advisory group...I was REQUESTED Don't hate the player..hate the game.

As far as that "cell jumper" stuff...pretty funny...since there is only one guy...who was caught red handed..and red faced doing that...I won't mention a name...since I feel we have mended fences.... but just because some Cuban with an ax to grind said it...it doesn't make it true.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file