Los Suenos in March

ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,009 Officer
I bought a trip to Los Suenos at last April's CCA Polk Banquet with some friends. It is a week stay. We are looking to fish one day on a charter boat. Unfortunately, the Epic is booked so we are looking a Tres Amigos. Does anyone have any experience with this vessel? My wish is to catch a roosterfish. Anything after that is a bonus. Is March a good time to catch roosterfish down there? What is biting at that time? I have never been to Costa Rica so any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Capt. Jon Bull
Shadowcast Charters
Ankona Boats Sales Rep
2018 Tavernier 17.....Coming Soon!!
www.shadowcastcharters.com

Replies

• KeysboundKeysbound Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Shadowcast wrote: »
    I bought a trip to Los Suenos at last April's CCA Polk Banquet with some friends. It is a week stay. We are looking to fish one day on a charter boat. Unfortunately, the Epic is booked so we are looking a Tres Amigos. Does anyone have any experience with this vessel? My wish is to catch a roosterfish. Anything after that is a bonus. Is March a good time to catch roosterfish down there? What is biting at that time? I have never been to Costa Rica so any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Tres Amigos is a nice boat. I believe it is a 38' boat. I fished on her sister boat (the Macushla) about 6-7 years ago. They will put you on fish. I think that fishing for roosters may be dictated more by water conditions than actual timing, but I could be wrong. March is a great time for Sailfish though, so if the conditions aren't right for roosters, there will be other great options.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Posts: 1,009 Officer

Thanks for the intel.

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep

@Keysbound said:
    Tres Amigos is a nice boat. I believe it is a 38' boat. I fished on her sister boat (the Macushla) about 6-7 years ago. They will put you on fish. I think that fishing for roosters may be dictated more by water conditions than actual timing, but I could be wrong. March is a great time for Sailfish though, so if the conditions aren't right for roosters, there will be other great options.

Do you know if there is a regulation that dictates that boats only take out 4 anglers at a time? We have a party of 6 and it looks as if we may need to split up between 2 days. Thanks!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,681 Admin

@Shadowcast said:

I bought that same trip from the CCA and went last Memorial day. I did book the Epic and it was past billfish season but the yellowfin tuna was on fire. We slayed them and all my kids caught more than they could handle. I took my own fishing gear to only to find out that you really con not fish there with boat.

Roster fish was also on my bucket list and on our last full day I booked a half day charter from "some guy of the street in Jaco" . (I have his business card and info I can dig up if you wnat it) Wasnt sure how this was going to end and seemed sketchy at first. The charter was on a panga that was anchored in the bay next to Los Suenos marina. It turned out to be a great trip and wish I booked him a few more trips. They took us to the boat in a water taxi and we fished just in front of Jaco beach with live bait and caught several BIG roosters.

Mark Wilson
    AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 470 Deckhand

You shouldn't have any problems getting into sails and roosters in March . I was in Quepos last March and fished a couple days offshore , and one day inshore . Got my first rooster , and a couple others .

Thanks for the info!

Capt. Jon Bull
    Shadowcast Charters
    Ankona Boats Sales Rep
  • KeysboundKeysbound Posts: 38 Greenhorn

@Shadowcast said:

@Keysbound said:

Do you know if there is a regulation that dictates that boats only take out 4 anglers at a time? We have a party of 6 and it looks as if we may need to split up between 2 days. Thanks!

I know that they only wanted to take 4 when I fished, but we took 6 one day and 5 the other. Just had to pay for the licenses if I recall correctly.

I think it has to do with the size of the boat , and how many people the charter thinks will be comfortable/manageable along with a mate or 2 . Bigger boat will probably take 6 .

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 847 Officer

Fished Tres Amigos, nice set up.

Hobbit free zone!!

• ResinheadResinhead Posts: 8,861 Admiral
    Pje... check your pm's.
    Resinhead said:
    Pje... check your pm's.
    I sent you an email
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 8,861 Admiral
    Got it. Thx.

Leave a Comment