Any lake trafford tips?

I took my kayak out there Sunday for a couple of hours with no luck. I was using a black beetle spin with only 1 hit. I didn't go too far from the ramp maybe couple hundred yards. It was very pretty with lots of birds and some BIG gators i felt vulnerable in the little kayak. I fished it a few times 25 years ago with my dad caught bluegill,crappie, and some bass. I'm thinking about going back with the boat and taking my kids. I'll use live bait if I take the kids. Anybody fish this lake? What sort of cover/structure do I look for when going after crappie and bluegill? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 949 Officer
    I fished for crappie there last week. They were in the bull rushes near the ramp. Used lite jigs. Caught several bluegill also. It was slow fishing but we did ok. Searched the open water for schools with no luck. Great fun for the kids and you should do better with live bait.
    Was the lake crowded on Sunday?
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 300 Deckhand
    Yes,don't go wading,lot's of big gators!
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 487 Deckhand
    I fished for crappie there last week. They were in the bull rushes near the ramp. Used lite jigs. Caught several bluegill also. It was slow fishing but we did ok. Searched the open water for schools with no luck. Great fun for the kids and you should do better with live bait.
    Was the lake crowded on Sunday?

Thanks. I had to google bull rushes. I wasn't fishing near those I'll give it a try. It wasn't crowded their were people coming and going though. Lots of people fishing the shoreline. Most of the people there were very ugly not sure why.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 611 Officer
    If you go into the marina and talk to Ski, he will try to help you out!
    Jason :USA
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 949 Officer
    10kman wrote: »
    Yes,don't go wading,lot's of big gators!

:rotflmao
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file