Bimini Twist...who uses it/why?

I've never really understood the purpose of using a bimini twist. As I understand it, the main purpose is to create a stronger looped connection in the main line for attaching a wind-on leader. It seems to me that the weakest part of a loop to loop connection is where the the two loops tighten on each other and one loop cuts through the other (which I've had happen). If there's only one line comprising the actual loop in a bimini how does that make it any stronger than a perfection loop? I've fished with some guys who I consider pretty knowledgeable as well as on a few charters and none of them used biminis. But I'm honestly open-minded and if I'm missing out on a trick I'd want to know about it. My current method is main line connected to a 20' +/- wind-on flouro leader using a uni-to-uni. A snap swivel at the end of the flouro leader (uni). Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 642 Officer
    I've never really understood the purpose of using a bimini twist.
    Me neither. In for answers.
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 877 Officer
    The bimini is considered a 100% double. Thus, you don't weaken the main line and have the double to use in the next knot, which might not be 100%. Your point about loop to loop is potentially valid, but there are ways to mitigate -- slip a sleeve of dacron on before closing your loop, for example. Also, if fishing long leaders (not wind on) then you can go to sunset once the double is on the reel.
  • Reef TankReef Tank Posts: 126 Deckhand
    If you doubled your main line with a bimini (or my preference spider hitch) and tied the uni with the doubled main line, you'd strengthen your current weakest component.

Most common use of a double line that I've seen is a trolling setup where you'd double your main line prior to tying on the swivel. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a serious offshore trolling setup that wasn't tied that way.
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,265 Officer
    I use them on just about everything. In most cases to double the main line, then tie on a heavier leader. I either use a uni to uni or a Yucatán for the connection. Most of my rods are rigged at home, so the few minutes it takes to tie a good Bimini is no big deal. I can tie one pretty quick on the boat as well if need be. I will continue to use them till I see a knot failure, which I have not seen yet, using a Bimini or a Uni. Both are my go to knots.
    I should learn the spider hitch, but my theory is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 130 Officer
    A spider hitch will break on itself under a lot of pressure - it’s very tough to put that much pressure on a fish without something breaking before the hitch, but to me, if you’re going to put it in the water, why would you settle for anything less than the best? A Bimini is more of a hassle but I’ve yet to see something better
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Reef Tank wrote: »
    If you doubled your main line with a bimini (or my preference spider hitch) and tied the uni with the doubled main line, you'd strengthen your current weakest component.

Ah, that makes perfect sense. You sold me. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks everyone for the input.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    The BT has a couple of things going for it. For one thing, if you are fishing a tournament that only allows a certain line weight, the BT allows you to double up on the line for several feet & effectively make a heavier leader, without actually using heavier line. The wound up portion of that knot also acts as a shock absorber & further strengthens the overall set up.

On the down side, it's kind of a big bulky knot & fish may notice it more easily than something like a Uni, Palomar, Albright, etc.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,299 Officer
    The first night I used a Bimini twist I got a jig hung in the inlet a figured it's gonna break, twenty minutes later I pulled In a bait bucket full of mud with a cast net and 5 xraps, that had looked like they had been on the bottom for 10 years. I am a believer in this knot.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,348 Captain
    The Bimini Twist is the only (read best) knot to use on saltwater gear (trolling, deep dropping, etc.) On light spinning gear, best knot (for braid to leader) would be the FG knot.
    They both can be terminated or 'set' with a minimum of a 4 turn mono (6 to 8 turn braid) finish knot. The half hitches that are described in the videos to finish the Bimini are useless and will fail.
    I've had spider hitch loop knots fail. I've also used a bristol (no name) knot to join the leader to the loop knot. It's a cool knot, but I've had them fail right AT the knot itself. So, I quit using the Bristol knot. So far, the Bimini can't be beat.
    You can also use both legs that make up the bimini loop, as a Uni going to either a swivel or as the other half of al Albright to a leader. There is a lot to be said about how to properly tie a Bimini. Can't explain it all here. The main thing, remove as much line (Braid) from the reel as you can before tying the Bimini. If you tie it with a short tag, you'll end up twisting a lot of braid over a short amount of line, not good. As for a cats paw connection. It's critical to properly wind it, as well as terminate the knot properly. If you are using Braid to Dacron loop connection, there needs to be at least 6 turns that make up the Cat's Paw connection. If the knot is not terminated properly, it will most certainly cut through the Dacron...
    I recommend RJ Boyle's videos. You'll need to join his 'crew' in order to view the videos, can't share them. But, well worth it.
    Good luck.

Pura Vida!
    Flight Risk answered my next question about whether anyone uses a BT with braid. Thanks for all of the knowledge, everyone. I'm a convert now. You spend so much time, energy and $ to get to that moment where a fish is on the hook I would hate to think I didn't do every little "right" thing to better my chances to succeed.
    Flight Risk answered my next question about whether anyone uses a BT with braid. Thanks for all of the knowledge, everyone. I'm a convert now. You spend so much time, energy and $ to get to that moment where a fish is on the hook I would hate to think I didn't do every little "right" thing to better my chances to succeed.

Orange&Blue,
    Here is a link that shows how to properly 'finish' or lock a Bimini twist, or FG knot as well as any other knot that leaves a tag after wrapping, or half-hitching. This is what I meant in my previous post on Finishing a Bimini. It's called a 'Rizutto' Finish.
    Make the Bimini and tie ONE half hitch in it to keep it from unraveling. THEN, tie this knot with at least 6 to 8 turns (Braid) - 4 turns or so if using mono. It is extremely tight, compresses on itself with tension and will not come undone. I was always frustrated with terminating Bimini's with half hitches... they'd come undone and were not smooth going through the guides. This knot solves that problem.
    Good Post by the way. This forum is a great place to share ideas and other things about fishing. Good luck. :fishing

Here's the Aussie way (by Dennis Vereet) of doing the same thing essentially :)

He uses 30 twists on this Bimini. RJ Boyle recommends at least 40 turns, with an 8 turn finish (Rizutto) knot when using Braided line.

Pura Vida!
    Bill,
    That's an interesting way to finish the Bimini. I had been using a half hitch around each leg, then a half hitch around both legs, followed by an overhand knot, just for safety. I haven't had any failures, but my way leaves an overhand knot sticking out the side. This finish looks a lot more streamline. Nice.
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    Bill,
    That's an interesting way to finish the Bimini. I had been using a half hitch around each leg, then a half hitch around both legs, followed by an overhand knot, just for safety. I haven't had any failures, but my way leaves an overhand knot sticking out the side. This finish looks a lot more streamline. Nice.

I've done it similar to what you just describe except instead of the overhand around all three, I tied a Uni.

Remember me saying there's something I wanted to show you about the Bimini next time we fished? :grin

This makes the Bimini so much more streamlined. Really like this method of terminating the knot.
    (Thank you RJ for the great tutorials)

Pura Vida!
    I've had problems with double uni knots getting loose & letting go after they work their way through the guides several times. I don't use Uni knots anymore. I went back to the Albright for joining two different lines.
    Thanks for the videos, Flight Risk. I think the Rizutto looks a little more my speed.
  • chicochico Posts: 496 Deckhand
    The Rizutto finish is slick as *****!!! Thanks!!
  • jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 141 Deckhand
    Never had a spider knot break on itself. I use 50# power pro on tarpon. I'm not a big fan of spending a lot of time on the fish so after 20-25 min it's go time. So I put a ton of heat on the fish. Typical fish might be in the 120-130 range, but 160 has been done. Cabo 60 and 8' Teramar's.

Spider is bunch easier.

I use albright to connect to leader.

My $.02.
    jbdba01 wrote: »
    Never had a spider knot break on itself. I use 50# power pro on tarpon. I'm not a big fan of spending a lot of time on the fish so after 20-25 min it's go time. So I put a ton of heat on the fish. Typical fish might be in the 120-130 range, but 160 has been done. Cabo 60 and 8' Teramar's.

Spider is bunch easier.

I use albright to connect to leader.

My $.02.

:thumbsup

Pura Vida!
  • ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    That Rizutto finish is awesome.
    Clean clean clean....
    Thanks for sharing that !
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 1,921 Captain
    I've been using a Bimini in braid from 10-130 lb test with a uni to uni for mono or floro leaders for years and years. I have never had one break or slip. As has been posted a Bimini is a 100% knot. With a little practice it's not hard to tie.
    pottydoc wrote: »
    I've been using a Bimini in braid from 10-130 lb test with a uni to uni for mono or floro leaders for years and years. I have never had one break or slip. As has been posted a Bimini is a 100% knot. With a little practice it's not hard to tie.

:Agree :grin

Pura Vida!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file