GM plans to release autonomous car in 2019

TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,298 Admiral
dims?quality=100&image_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F5e389a517642e6f326dbabba435d68%2F206023968%2Fgm-cruise-av-lede.jpg&client=cbc79c14efcebee57402&signature=a2750924ca68e3be676b5a7169bcc761ecafcbb4

GM plans to release cars with no steering wheel in 2019

The automaker's fully autonomous car has no wheel and no pedal.

If the Department of Transportation grants GM's latest Safety Petition, the automaker will be able to deploy its no-steering-wheel, pedal-less autonomous car next year. GM has not only revealed what its level 4 self-driving vehicle will look like -- in a video you can watch after the break -- but also announced that it filed a Safety Petition to be able to deploy its completely driverless version of Chevy Bolt called Cruise AV in 2019. The company describes it as "the first production-ready vehicle built from the start to operate safely on its own, with no driver, steering wheel, pedals or manual controls."

Article here: https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/12/gm-fully-autonomous-car-no-wheel-2018/

Thoughts?

Replies

• Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 896 Officer
    3 years ago a guy from Google told the kids ,at my wife school, that their plan was for kids in elementary school to never have to drive a vehicle. Looks like he might be write.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,372 Admiral
    wonder what the towing capacity is
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,707 Admiral
    Text away!
    wonder what the towing capacity is

Or how well it can back a boat down a ramp. Has to be better that 50% of the humanoids.

Or how about having it meet you at the ramp when you get back!

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug wrote: »
    Text away!

Or how well it can back a boat down a ramp. Has to be better that 50% of the humanoids.

Or how about having it meet you at the ramp when you get back!

there's an app for that
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,298 Admiral
    That is a good article. I found this paragraph, in particular, quite poignant:

The shifts and the resulting massive ripple effects will, if we choose to let them, change the way in which we live, how long we live for, and the very nature of being human. Even if my futuristic life sounds unreal, its current state is something we may laugh at within a decade as a primitive existence — because our technologists now have the tools to enable the greatest alteration of our experience of life since the dawn of humankind. As in all other manifest shifts — from the use of fire to the rise of agriculture and the development of sailing vessels, internal-combustion engines, and computing — this one will arise from breathtaking advances in technology. It is far larger, though, is happening far faster, and may be far more stressful to those living through this new epoch. Inability to understand it will make our lives and the world seem even more out of control.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,662 AG
    [video=youtube_share;xGi6j2VrL0o]
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,673 Admin
    No interest. I like driving.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 602 Officer
    It will be a long time before I give up my keys. But I can see it coming for my 84 year old mother. This would still give her the freedom she wants and safety to others.
  • LuckyMrSwLuckyMrSw Posts: 3,208 Captain
    Griz wrote: »
    No interest. I like driving.

^This^
    Please stop derailing my thread.
    `Forum Moderator`

Don't call each other names
    `Same Forum Moderator`
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,853 Admiral
    If you notice, they never discuss the top speeds of these cars.
    I bet this one here won't do much over 45mph?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,105 AG
    I could be doing much more productive and entertaining things instead of sitting in rush hour traffic. Likely not in my lifetime, but bring 'em on!
    Vote for the other candidate
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,853 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    I could be doing much more productive and entertaining things instead of sitting in rush hour traffic. Likely not in my lifetime, but bring 'em on!

Like making another cocktail?:wink
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,673 Admin
    I was just reading a post on a truck forum about a guy driving from Dayton to Detroit through the snow yesterday. One of his comments were the lane assist, traffic warning and back up sensors all quit working due to being iced/snowed over. How’s a self driver going see lane indicators and such in bad weather. Even my back up camera gets distorted from just being in the rain.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,662 AG
    I would guess top speed would be the speed limit on the road, and adjusted for conditions.

But, these Bolts are pretty quick.

specifications include a 200 hp and 266 lb⋅ft Interior Permanent Magnet electric motor, acceleration from 0–30 mph in 2.9 seconds and 0–60 mph in less than 7 seconds, and a top speed of 91 mph.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 13,859 AG
    I enjoy driving so ,,,, no.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Eliminated physical currency, , underway

Eliminate the right to bear arms,,,underway

Eliminate the freedom to travel at will in an automobile, , underway

Eliminate private property rights,,,,underway

Eliminate business owners rights,,,underway

Eliminate freedom of religion, ,,underway

Eliminate the spirit of competition, ,,underway

Eliminate the right to privacy, ,,underway

Etc

Etc

Etc

Just getting started down a path that will lead to,,,, well we are underway.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,009 Captain
    fins4me wrote: »

Etc

Etc

Etc

Seriously, good post!!
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,539 Captain

Etc

Etc

Etc

And it all started with pot(among other things). Imagine someone so hypocritical as to complain about all these freedoms/rights being slowly eroded but be against or even indifferent to an american adults right to pursue happiness as they please. Yep illegalizing MJ played a major role in getting your elimination train rolling. Thank you for the post, really shows a process of thought that I think is a dangerous thing.
    gammisun.jpgxxSearchEngineFail.jpg
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,298 Admiral

Etc

Etc

Etc

Fins,

I ask you this quite sincerely: Why are you so fearful of progress that you view most any incremental change through such a lens?

For example, why isn't cryptocurrency viewed as a free market alternative rather than the boogeyman coming for your cash? Why aren't autonomous cars simply the market addressing a demand rather than your complete loss of driving rights? Etc.?

In the 1970's, did you argue those new-fangled Jelly Worms will lead to elimination of your God-given right to use live earthworms?!?

I truly don't understand what makes that type of fear tick. What life lesson did I miss that strikes such trepidation into how one views change? I don't get it. Why does it make you (or anyone for that matter) so uneasy?

Happy Saturday...Mike
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Fins,

I ask you this quite sincerely: Why are you so fearful of progress that you view most any incremental change through such a lens?

For example, why isn't cryptocurrency viewed as a free market alternative rather than the boogeyman coming for your cash? Why aren't autonomous cars simply the market addressing a demand rather than your complete loss of driving rights? Etc.?

In the 1970's, did you argue those new-fangled Jelly Worms will lead to elimination of your God-given right to use live earthworms?!?

I truly don't understand what makes that type of fear tick. What life lesson did I miss that strikes such trepidation into how one views change? I don't get it. Why does it make you (or anyone for that matter) so uneasy?

Happy Saturday...Mike
    Progress for the fringes most often leads to tyranny for the masses. Ask a couple of bakers about how "progress" destroyed their business. Everyone of the concerns I brought up have legitimate pathways to tyranny. If you are a sheep and blindly trust the herders in DC and beyond then I guess tyranny often looks exactly like progress.
    "Today is MINE"
    In California an almond farmer recently lost his right to farm because our government deemed water collected in tractor tracks as a wetland. It was in the name of progress of course.
    "Today is MINE"
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 364 Deckhand
    Figures they would use San Francisco as the backdrop for this. One thing I can say with certainty the drivers out here are the worst I have ever seen. I have never seen so many rollover accidents. It only rains here during the winter and it does not last long. People drive the same regardless of the conditions and the results show. I don't want a self-driving car but I think it might help things out here. I wonder if they will be programmed to drive at certain speeds and certain routes given traffic patterns etc?
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,539 Captain
    One thing I can say with certainty the drivers out here are the worst I have ever seen.

So you have never driven in Florida?
    gammisun.jpgxxSearchEngineFail.jpg
    mjn wrote: »

I hope everyone in the villages buys one of these self driving cars. Hopefully they make them for golf carts too.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Fins,

Happy Saturday...Mike

Tarponator you said it yourself in the first sentence of your reply, incremental. You are correctly stating what Fins fears. The fringes know they could never outright say we will today ban all private automobiles and everyone will use mass transit and live in giant skyscrapers in cities. So they begin the process by chipping away and using the same arguments you are using in your statement. Example: Here in California you can legally own a gun. But if you think you can simply walk into a store, buy a gun, ammo for that gun, walk out and go to a range and shoot you are sorely mistaken. You must fill out an application and get a background check done (seems reasonable right?), take and show proof of a firearms safety course (seems reasonable right), wait for 7-14 days as a cooling off period (seems reasonable right?), register your firearm (seems reasonable right), buy proper storage and trigger locks for your firearm (seems reasonable right), buy ammo but you must register all the ammo you buy (seems reasonable right?), when transporting your firearm the ammunition and weapon must be secured separately for the duration of transportation (seems reasonable right?). Now when gun enthusiasts state their rights are being infringed upon they are told that they can still legally own and keep a firearm, but going through all of the above makes many law abiding citizens say no thanks, the exact intention. Then the apathy shows when so few law abiding citizens put up with the hassle that the needed votes can be accrued for an outright ban on firearms, the goal from the start. This is not paranoia this is how the system is used by vocal minority groups to get the results they want for their particular issue. Just take the above scenario and apply it to cars. I can take you down the process for cars here in California and how it has changed over the years and the comparisons are similar. California tends to lead the nation down these types of paths. The fringes are patient and very calculated.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,990 AG
    In California an almond farmer recently lost his right to farm because our government deemed water collected in tractor tracks as a wetland. It was in the name of progress of course.

Total and utter BS.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Total and utter BS.

you posting on here raised a thought, these cars must have sensors to detect bicyclists on the road too. I can see a train of 40 cars all behind a group of bikers because none of the cars have drivers to pass.
    mjn wrote: »

Yes for many years. In my observations it is not even close. But you may have a different experience.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,990 AG
    you posting on here raised a thought, these cars must have sensors to detect bicyclists on the road too. I can see a train of 40 cars all behind a group of bikers because none of the cars have drivers to pass.

I just can't see how these cars are gonna function under certain circumstances and someone already pointed out.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file