Jacks...and Dinner 1/10

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,619 Captain
Captain Duane (Windsplitter) and I slipped out yesterday for a few hours to see what's happening lately. Due to schedules and the holidays it's been a couple weeks since we fish together.

The jacks were in the river and since they are running a good size this year we fished for them for awhile before going after dinner. They would be there when we came back to go home.

The bigger trout are up on the shallow rocks as they are this time of the year with a warm sum beating down. Reds were there too. Fish were caught on hard and soft jerk baits including the jacks.

Speaking of the jacks we stopped on the way back in and finished off putting 20 nice size (4 to 5 pounds) in the boat for crab bait. I could fish for these bigger jacks every time I go out as they are that much fun to catch. You have to love a fish that weighs five pounds and fights like it's 15 pounds. We literally could have caught hundreds if we stayed with them all day.

We didn't see but one dead fish and it was a small tarpon. A guy fishing close to us was bring in one after another "snooklets" so that year class is still around. Not sure why you would continue to keep catching 12 inch snook regardless if they were biting.

Y'all will have to click on the links until I figure out why all of a sudden I can't post pictures through this forum. I also need to find out why I can't get the picture to show from imgur regardless of the fact that FS thinks the files are too large. Reduced one for FS, do the rest later, but still want to figure out why imgur can't post bigger files here.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,415 Officer
    Good trip. i love catching jacks too. They are also excellent for catching big sharks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 794 Officer
    sounds like fun
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 500 Deckhand
    :thumbsup
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,619 Captain
    I fixed some of them, pain in the butt, FS wants the size under it appears 2.1 which is smaller than what I use to post in the past.

Anyway.

Bill
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 606 Officer
    Fun time. I want some more of that action when it warms up a little.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,518 Captain
    :thumbsup
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    not sure why anybody wouldn't enjoy catching hard fighting fish that put on a wonderful show like snook, and I guess you didn't notice the reds that were scattered in among them. I guess you didn't notice these guys either ;)
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,798 Captain
    Nice action, all "Jacked Up"! Good looking redfish Captain Duane.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elapid wrote: »
    not sure why anybody wouldn't enjoy catching hard fighting fish that put on a wonderful show like snook,

My point was once you catch a few snooklets why would you continue to wear them out for hours especially since they are stressed from the recent cold spell. I'm not a "tree hugger" but I would like the year class that has survived so far grow up in the future.

And I'm pretty sure you weren't the one catching them I was referring to.

And yes, I know where the reds are as I catch my fair share, I really am not sure what you are inferring in your post?

Bill
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,226 Moderator
    Billy wrote: »
    I fixed some of them, pain in the butt, FS wants the size under it appears 2.1 which is smaller than what I use to post in the past.

Anyway.

Bill

That is being "addressed" real soon. I'm trying to get caught up with the "new" setup. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    That is being "addressed" real soon. I'm trying to get caught up with the "new" setup. :cool:

No problem Louie, the sudden change was what caught me, I can adjust now that I know the size limit is smaller than in the past. When things settle down maybe have someone at FS let us know what size is too big to do a direct post? And when are we going freshwater trolling for specks etc? :)

Bill
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Billy wrote: »
    My point was once you catch a few snooklets why would you continue to wear them out for hours especially since they are stressed from the recent cold spell. I'm not a "tree hugger" but I would like the year class that has survived so far grow up in the future.

And I'm pretty sure you weren't the one catching them I was referring to.

And yes, I know where the reds are as I catch my fair share, I really am not sure what you are inferring in your post?

Bill

Bill, nothing was inferred other than I guess you really didn't the reds I was plucking out between those "snooklets". Weren't you guys fishing in a blue gheenoe? I was actually quite encouraged to see how well the snook appeared to weather that freeze, and everything was handled minimally and safely returned to grow big and strong as with the vast majority of my trips.
    Elapid wrote: »
    Bill, nothing was inferred other than I guess you really didn't the reds I was plucking out between those "snooklets". Weren't you guys fishing in a blue gheenoe? I was actually quite encouraged to see how well the snook appeared to weather that freeze, and everything was handled minimally and safely returned to grow big and strong as with the vast majority of my trips.

Fair enough, we were fishing for jacks in the river out of a seafoam green Gheenoe, the guy I saw fishing was in a I believe a Bossman?

I understand about being safe with them but I was under the impression that the person catching them had been doing so for hours as he yelled thus (least I thought he did) when when he passed us going in. Maybe I misunderstood.

At any rate, no harm no foul, this next cold front will pretty much take care of the rest of them anyway. It is like the cold winter of 2010 when I didn't catch another snook until over two years later.

Bill
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,024 AG
    Not bad on the smoker either for dips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file