Sam's Club closings, now we know the rest of the story.

Replies

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,893 Admiral
    Gardawg wrote: »
    without welfare many low wage employees would not be able to live on what they are paid.
    tax dollars may not go directly to Walmart but they supplement an inadequate wage without which they could not retain employees . unless they paid them more.

call it what ever name you want to .

And if you were mr. Walmart you would pay them what?
    And please don’t say that “living wage “ garbage that none of you can give a number.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,479 Admiral
    dave44 wrote: »
    Okay. What is the national minimum wage? What does the law say?

I bet all the leftists wanted to make it at least 11$ an hour when we were stuck in a holding pattern with overwhelming regulations for about 8 years.

If Walmart said 20$ you guys would say the same thing. Really, sooner or later people should be taught to aspire for better.
    Instead they are being taught victimization. Nice.

Would that have been the Longest Job Growth Strength In 75 Years?
  • Service CallService Call Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    It depends on just where in this country you live. Not everybody lives in a big city. Ya,ll people that live in big cities don't seem to understand that minimum wage is a livable wage in some rural areas
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,624 Admiral

The longest low wage job growth.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 23,408 AG
    The problem isn't Walmart, the problem is the job market. Walmart, McDonalds, other fast food, convenience stores, retail cashier jobs, were never intended nor designed to be the primary income source for a family of four. They were the jobs mom got while the kids were in school, the high school kids got after work and on weekends, the job for the college kid to get his degree. It wasn't the job Dad had to buy the groceries, pay the mortgage, and support the family.

If we base our economy on people needing to work Walmart as the primary income source for the family, we can't blame Walmart. We blame the politicians who let it happen. We blame ourselves. The only fix isn't forcing Walmart to pay more, but getting high paying jobs other than Walmart and training people to do those jobs,

I watched a report on self driving trucks and robots replacing truck drivers and the ripple effect on motels, restaurants, etc this will end up having. But it was also mentioned that as these jobs go away other jobs in the robotics industry will open up and that we, as a society, must train people to move then into these better paying jobs.

The sad part is we will probably ship it overseas or farm it out to a third world country and leave our people out of work.

Mini Mart Magnate

Please explain this comment if you are talking about 2009 to 2016. I do hope you are not claiming going from 10% to 5% in 8 years as a positive. It should have dropped a lot faster and a lot quicker. It has never taken 8 years to recover from a recession, job wise before. We had no job growth, we just recovered the jobs lost when the recession hit.

Also the 60s were a lot better as far as job growth, since we were below 4% for almost half that.

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman wrote: »
    The problem isn't Walmart, the problem is the job market. Walmart, McDonalds, other fast food, convenience stores, retail cashier jobs, were never intended nor designed to be the primary income source for a family of four. They were the jobs mom got while the kids were in school, the high school kids got after work and on weekends, the job for the college kid to get his degree. It wasn't the job Dad had to buy the groceries, pay the mortgage, and support the family.

If we base our economy on people needing to work Walmart as the primary income source for the family, we can't blame Walmart. We blame the politicians who let it happen. We blame ourselves. The only fix isn't forcing Walmart to pay more, but getting high paying jobs other than Walmart and training people to do those jobs,

I watched a report on robots replacing truck drivers and the ripple effect on motels, restaurants, etc this will end up having. But it was also mentioned that as these jobs go away other jobs in the robotics industry will open up and that we, as a society, must train people to move then into these better paying jobs.

The sad part is we will probably ship it overseas or farm it out to a third world country and leave our people out of work.

But you see, that is not where this conversation is supposed to go! You ended it too soon and we will have to ignore this answer.

Someone will be along soon to delete it.
    dave44 wrote: »
    But you see, that is not where this conversation is supposed to go! You ended it too soon and we will have to ignore this answer.

Someone will be along soon to delete it.

Oh well, I tried at least.

Mini Mart Magnate

• BibBib Posts: 2,356 Captain

I watched a report on self driving trucks and robots replacing truck drivers and the ripple effect on motels, restaurants, etc this will end up having. But it was also mentioned that as these jobs go away other jobs in the robotics industry will open up and that we, as a society, must train people to move then into these better paying jobs.

so your average walmart employee is gonna leave wallyworld and step into robotics? there's gonna be a lot of pissed off mit, stanford and north avenue trade school graduates.
    Bib wrote: »
    so your average walmart employee is gonna leave wallyworld and step into robotics? there's gonna be a lot of pissed off mit, stanford and north avenue trade school graduates.

I’d say there are a lot of students that are working while they go to school. So you are probably right, in a round about offhand not knowing why way.

What I was saying is, we need jobs that aren't retail service orientated and train people to do those jobs.

Mini Mart Magnate

not sure what your first sentence has to do with what i typed.

cad said workers were gonna leave walmart, and with some training, are gonna get into robotics. i'm sure students who invest 10's of thousand of dollars and 4,6,8 years in robotics school will probably be a little upset. unless cad meant they were gonna sell robots/robot parts at radio shack?

oh, thanks for the dig! glad i could spell it out more clearly for you.

cad said workers were gonna leave walmart, and with some training, are gonna get into robotics. i'm sure students who invest 10's of thousand of dollars and 4,6,8 years in robotics school will probably be a little upset. unless cad meant they were gonna sell robots/robot parts at radio shack?

These guys are spending 8 years in school learning to repair a self driving vehicle when it breaks down on the road?

Mini Mart Magnate

You are welcome. But Cad did explain himself too. The fact is that low wage jobs aren’t meant to support a lavish lifestyle. For the most part they are a transitional job on the way to an individuals future. They receive training and experience. Hopefully they will learn, and better themselves.

Cad is going a little different direction, which is true enough, creating crappy jobs just to show there are jobs is a simple political ploy to show raw data. It’s been used for quite awhile, and the future of real employment, the way it’s supposed to be in America, looks to be on an upward trend.

Or you could concentrate on the new employees in the marketplace that are making 7.50$ an hour?
    wouldn't that be an auto mechanic? just like todays mechanic who's not rebuilding carbs anymore, the computer is mostly what they're dealing with.

not trying to argue, i'm happy for apple and the rest. robotics was a bad example, imo.

when i think of robotics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRj34o4hN4I not something you learn at a 6 month tech school.
    Not to mention the fact that there are around 540K drivers who will be looking for work. Or to mention the fact that you just eliminated that number of middle class jobs that payed $45-80K per year.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG

GD'mit I really hate agreeing with you. But it must be done. Tarpon Eater will have a conniption though. Wally is the lowest of whale **** jobs. Got to start some where though. They do the economy a service by being the provider of cheap goods and even jobs for the mentally handicapped. (IQ's below 60) Just shop at one and see. Glad I could shed some sunshine on some lefttard azzes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,395 AG
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Simple.

Do some research: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Walmart/faq/on-average-how-many-hours-per-week-are-employees-scheduled-in-non-24-hr-stores?quid=1bpd1nch5b8209r8

Read an article: http://www.demos.org/publication/despite-raise-walmart-wages-schedules-still-aren%E2%80%99t-livable

Interpret a table (a bit dated but the points remain):

fig%201.PNG

Or, even do some simple math:

$11.00/hour * 2000 hours / year = $22,000 per year

At that level -- and that's presuming you can get 40 hours per week -- you're entitled to all sorts of federal programs, including CHIP and federally subsidized healthcare.

So, in summary, because the government is subsidizing their hourly workforce by providing these benefits they are subsidizing Walmart.

You know, the same Walmart that's #1 private employer in 22 of our 50 states aided, quite directly, by the federal subsidies its employees get.

Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but facts are facts.

I hope that clears things up for you -- I know the transitive nature of benefits can be befuddling to some -- but I'm here to help....Mike

With help like yours, we'd be praying for something just short of living in shatholes like Haiti. But I'm here to help too. Good god, are you delusional. Let us know next time you fillet up some tarpon to hang in your smoker. Inquiring minds want to know.:rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 610 Officer
    Not all jobs at walmart are minimum wage jobs. And just like Home Depot Walmart has a career path for their employees. You just need to have a good work ethic and be able to follow the rules.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,409 Admiral
    That's true.

It's also worth keeping in mind more than half their 1.4 million employees are part time.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,318 Admiral
    That doesn't necessarily mean they don't get benefits. What is your point?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,409 Admiral
    Oh, but it does. No health insurance. No paternity leave. In fact, none of those nice benefits that were in the Walmart press release are offered to part time workers.

So you might become a bit more educated on the topic:
    https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/wal-mart-to-end-health-insurance-for-part-time-employees/
    http://www.refinery29.com/2018/01/187649/walmart-paid-parental-leave

Setting that aside for a moment, my point is that there are hundreds of thousands of employees -- part and full time -- that are heavily subsidized by the federal government.

Hope this helps...Mike
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Oh, but it does. No health insurance. No paternity leave. In fact, none of those nice benefits that were in the Walmart press release are offered to part time workers.

So you might become a bit more educated on the topic:
    https://www.healthcare-now.org/blog/wal-mart-to-end-health-insurance-for-part-time-employees/
    http://www.refinery29.com/2018/01/187649/walmart-paid-parental-leave

Setting that aside for a moment, my point is that there are hundreds of thousands of employees -- part and full time -- that are heavily subsidized by the federal government.

Hope this helps...Mike

Press release ? Maybe you should not try so hard to sound like a wannabee elitist snob and actually talk to someone who works at Walmart to get your facts straight. Do you ever shop there ?

BTW your links

first paragraph you left out of this discussion intentionally :rotflmao

Wal-Mart to End Health Insurance for Part-Time Employees

By Hiroko Tabuchi for the New York Times:
    Walmart Stores, the world’s largest retailer and the nation’s largest private employer, said on Tuesday that it would terminate health insurance coverage for about 30,000 part-time workers, joining a string of retailers that have rolled back benefits in response to the Affordable Care Act. :rotflmao
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,479 Admiral
    Finfinder wrote: »
    Press release ? Maybe you should not try so hard to sound like a wannabee elitist snob and actually talk to someone who works at Walmart to get your facts straight. Do you ever shop there ?

BTW your links

first paragraph you left out of this discussion intentionally :rotflmao

Wal-Mart to End Health Insurance for Part-Time Employees

By Hiroko Tabuchi for the New York Times:
    Walmart Stores, the world’s largest retailer and the nation’s largest private employer, said on Tuesday that it would terminate health insurance coverage for about 30,000 part-time workers, joining a string of retailers that have rolled back benefits in response to the Affordable Care Act. :rotflmao

So what Dept do you work in?

Starting on Jan. 1, Walmart will no longer offer insurance to employees working less than an average of 30 hours a week,

Starting on Jan. 1, Walmart will no longer offer insurance to employees working less than an average of 30 hours a week,

That could actually be funny if 1) I did work at Walmart and 2) you weren't some kinfolk from Mississippi trying to act like an elitist.

I saw that, why do you and Tarpon keep leaving out the apparent reason (Obamacare) that is outlined in the article.

[video=youtube_share;1yPZ3jllTek]

I must say, I was surprised any Corp would pay any medical insurance once the government decided it was mandatory. They caused the price to go up, they caused less competition and told everyone they better get insurance or else.

It was a downhill slide to mediocrity in the medical world. But then, you championed that because your eye was on the future one payer system that sux everywhere it’s used.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,667 AG
    Another round of Wal-Mart corporate, store layoffs expected

Wal-Mart Stores is again scaling back its corporate workforce as the retailer reportedly will eliminate its jewelry business and decrease the number of co-managers per store, and reduce areas such as direct-store-delivery receiving, according to persons familiar with the changes.

https://talkbusiness.net/2018/01/another-round-of-wal-mart-corporate-store-layoffs-expected/
    Bimini rooting against America again.
    I always get a laugh every time the Walmart debate starts!
    First of all no one is forcing anyone to work much less shop at Walmart.
    Second, if Walmart is this horrible and evil place to work at, why the hell is it hard to get a job there??
    I know for a fact that their truck drivers have some of the best pay and benefits out there and if you do t believe me try getting on with them.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,727 Admiral
    Score one for the capitalism ecosystem!

Captain Todd Approves

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file