Sam's Club closings, now we know the rest of the story.

GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,458 Admiral
They seem to take good care of their employees in this situation IMHO.

Some of the highlights:

Hourly associates will continue to receive compensation for 60 days.

If employees haven't transferred to another store in 60 days they will receive a severance.

10% raise on the minimum wage from $10 to $11 per hour.

$1,000 bonus.

Hourly employees get an increase in full paid maternity leave to 10 weeks for new mothers(was 6 weeks at half pay).

Fathers and non birth mothers that work full time get a maternity leave increase to 6 weeks at full pay. Previously they got no paid leave.

This change brings hourly paid leave inline with salaried paid leave.

WalMart will also offer compensation to employees seeking top adopt. The amount was not disclosed.

The above information was paraphrased from this article since it would not permit me to cut and paste:

http://www.11alive.com/article/news/metro-atlanta-sams-club-closes-without-notice-stores-close-across-the-country/85-507157783
Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Replies

• MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,502 Captain
    Wow. I guess Mr. Mr. will have to apologize.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,584 Admiral
    Evil corporations only care bout themselves.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 26,105 AG
    dave44 wrote: »

I'm clear-eyed about how profit-making corporations operate and don't attribute human qualities to him. I understand the only motive for these companies is profit for shareholders by any legal means. I'm just more of a Henry Ford type of mentality.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 567 Officer
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Wow. I guess Mr. Mr. will have to apologize.

:rotflmao
    Jason :USA
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 6,584 Admiral
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    I'm clear-eyed about how profit-making corporations operate and don't attribute human qualities to him. I understand the only motive for these companies is profit for shareholders by any legal means. I'm just more of a Henry Ford type of mentality.
    Assembly line and automation , one size fits all so it takes less employees?
    Assembly line and automation , one size fits all so it takes less employees?

He also fought unionization, but in the early 1900s, he paid his employees $5.00 an hour, which attracted the best workers and increased his profitability.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,662 AG

Like Carrier and AT&T?

That some will believe anything is no surprise, but to hold up Walmart as a shining example of American corporate values is really something else.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,707 Admiral
    :blahblah

Getting tired of so much losing yet?

Captain Todd Approves

• GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,458 Admiral
    He also fought unionization, but in the early 1900s, he paid his employees $5.00 an hour, which attracted the best workers and increased his profitability.

It was $5 per day.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/03/04/the-story-of-henry-fords-5-a-day-wages-its-not-what-you-think/#3c5b8fe0766d
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,853 Admiral
    Question for Mr. Jr.
    how much do you pay your employees?
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Question for Mr. Jr.

I have two on salary, one hourly, one commission, plus benefits. Obviously, they are paid competitively or they wouldn't work here.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Question for Mr. Jr.

Why would you ask, I mean he could say any number to make himself look good. Not a shot at Mr Jr either, just an observation.

Captain Todd Approves

Yeah capitalism! Funny how that works in the economic ecosystem.

The reality is there are terrible crappy workers and they can fill those terrible low wage jobs at those terrible evil companies offering terrible profits and making terrible profits.

Captain Todd Approves

I wonder how much Walmart has received in public subsidies. I have read in several places that's it's over $6 billion, but surely that can't be correct for a company that thrives on captialism.

Information is subject to so much manipulation today, it's hard to trust anything we read.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,297 Admiral
    I wonder how much Walmart has received in public subsidies. I have read in several places that's it's over $6 billion, but surely that can't be correct for a company that thrives on captialism.

Information is subject to so much manipulation today, it's hard to trust anything we read.

I never seen anybody try harder to make Walmart, a left vs right political thing.

You elitist wannabees should not buy their stock and go enjoy paying out the **** for groceries at Publix's.

:rotflmao
    It's 6 billion because somehow if a worker receives assistance, that is a Walmart subsidy. Give me a break. That's some unicorn style math.
    The $7.8 billion includes an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance for low-wage Walmart employees, including programs like food stamps, subsidized housing, and Medicaid. It also includes an estimated $70 million per year in “economic development subsidies” from state and legal governments eager to host Walmart in their cities.

As for development subsidies, for the most part I am against any government entity doling out special treatment and money to woo a corporation. That is not capitalism.

Captain Todd Approves

• HeatwaveHeatwave Posts: 1,958 Captain
    GA Fin wrote: »
    They seem to take good care of their employees in this situation IMHO.

Some of the highlights:

Hourly associates will continue to receive compensation for 60 days.

If employees haven't transferred to another store in 60 days they will receive a severance.

10% raise on the minimum wage from $10 to $11 per hour.

$1,000 bonus.

Hourly employees get an increase in full paid maternity leave to 10 weeks for new mothers(was 6 weeks at half pay).

Fathers and non birth mothers that work full time get a maternity leave increase to 6 weeks at full pay. Previously they got no paid leave.

This change brings hourly paid leave inline with salaried paid leave.

WalMart will also offer compensation to employees seeking top adopt. The amount was not disclosed.

The above information was paraphrased from this article since it would not permit me to cut and paste:

http://www.11alive.com/article/news/metro-atlanta-sams-club-closes-without-notice-stores-close-across-the-country/85-507157783

Where they able to get this to all the news wires before the days deadline ? Too bad it wasn't part of the PUMPED PR about increases to trigger news. Everyone who makes millions a day will back track with no problem if in a Public Relations disaster. It is only money they need to fix it, and they have plenty of that sitting in huge accounts.

Bottom line is that the country business atmosphere has become so much ME ME ME... Mo Money mo money....
    I use to love going to company picnics back in the 60s and 70s. The owner, or BOSS would shake hands, play horseshoes, and be part of the Gang. Now that guy is isolated so that he doesn't have to look employees in the eye while he takes it ALL.

Everybody that runs a business wants to make profit, that is the name of the game. When you start contributing the statement WELFARE, DRUGS, Taking advantage of benefits, etc. to ALL Employees, then things fall apart. The country could have kept doing what it was doing, running legit businesses while paying good wages, working with UNIONS, and keeping it fair for all. In place of that the GREED took over. Everytime there is a problem with 1 worker out of 10, the ownerships punishes ALL employees by taking away. That was just a good excuse, and put out on TV for all to see as to WHY they had to cut back on wages, cut benefits, and so on. Thus we have a huge gap...

Anyone, can use just about any excuse to say why it is like this... Poor workmanship, not caring, DRUGS again, but really, that is just an excuse to NOT CARE. Spin it how you will, not going to change anytime soon.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,372 Admiral
    mplspug wrote: »

As for development subsidies, for the most part I am against any government entity doling out special treatment and money to woo a corporation. That is not capitalism.

As i hear it governors are lining up to lick the boots of Amazon right now over their new facility.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    What’s even more shocking is watching all of those people being hearded into those Walmart’s at the point of a gun!!
    It's 6 billion because somehow if a worker receives assistance, that is a Walmart subsidy. Give me a break. That's some unicorn style math.

Then why is it OK for so many cities to do it for football, etc... "BRING IN MONEY AND JOBS" THat is the excuse to hand over billions to corps. It is easy to pick and choose on a forum what we like and dont like. As always, the little things lead to big things... Sure most would agree with you, but when it first started happening 20 years ago, many were all in... Now, we compete as state vs state. That is not good for the country. Soon it will be city vs city, county vs county.... The people always lose and guys like the previous owner of the MARLINS always win.. Look at how rich that guy became on the backs of the citizens... It certainly wasnt poor people that agreed to let it happen. It was those waiting on a backdoor handout.
    As i hear it governors are lining up to lick the boots of Amazon right now over their new facility.
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Then why is it OK for so many cities to do it for football, etc... "BRING IN MONEY AND JOBS" THat is the excuse to hand over billions to corps. It is easy to pick and choose on a forum what we like and dont like. As always, the little things lead to big things... Sure most would agree with you, but when it first started happening 20 years ago, many were all in... Now, we compete as state vs state. That is not good for the country. Soon it will be city vs city, county vs county.... The people always lose and guys like the previous owner of the MARLINS always win.. Look at how rich that guy became on the backs of the citizens... It certainly wasnt poor people that agreed to let it happen. It was those waiting on a backdoor handout.

I'm not picking and choosing and I agree with you. I am against stadium subsidies for sure, but unfortunately we are already down that rabbit hole.

Captain Todd Approves

Many things that are happening are good. Not everything is bad... It is good that the economy is moving forward. I would argue that it is too fast, to quick, but who am I to decide what speed things should go at... We cant keep going on like this and expect it to continue, at some point you have to pull back... What then ? Do we BLAME someone, or is it just OK that the economy collapses based on a taxcut, a pumped economy, and stagnate wages make it fall. Even when they increase wages, they cut benefits, charge more for pharma, nothing is really changing except for perception.

Guess we can just ignore reality until it gets here... Then ignore it again and make a statement like "People should have saved their money, done higher education, lived within their means" "no job, it is YOUR fault for not planning ahead, it has nothing to do with the company you work for or the CEO making billions" ? All the same stuff written here in 2008
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,372 Admiral
    I agree about Stadium subsidies. San Diego voted "NAH" and the team left for LA, but I'm not so sure they won't be coming back. LA wasn't filling the stadium even to half capacity and San Diego was selling it out regularly. Glad the residents took a stand and said if you want a stadium, pay for it yourself.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Are you saying Walmart has not received public subsidies to build stores?
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 1,726 Captain
    It will be intersting to see what happens to those soon-to-be-empty Sam's buildings.

The leases usually dictate that they cannot be used by any other competing business.

The country is littered with empty Wal-Mart buildings, and that's the main reason.

After all the local, storefront, businesses have been driven out, Walmarts that don't "perform" bug-out.
  • FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,297 Admiral

They just received them out of thin air? Was this against the will of the tax payers ?

You quoted me, yet missed the development subsidies part. But what I was really saying is your $6B subsidy post was mostly hyperbole and based on some sketchy linkage to subsidizing Walmart, when in fact it was Walmart employees receiving the subsidy.

Captain Todd Approves

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,303 Officer
    There is a difference between capitalism and corporatism. Many people I talk to, primarily left-leaning, think they are the same.

Capitalism has done far far more for humanity than any other type of economic system. It's not perfect, but there is not a better system anywhere else.
    There is a difference between capitalism and corporatism. Many people I talk to, primarily left-leaning, think they are the same.

Capitalism has done far far more for humanity than any other type of economic system. It's not perfect, but there is not a better system anywhere else.

Your exactly right!
    I ask all the time when I hear people complain about it,, name a better system.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file