When should you visit the ER?

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,421 Admiral
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    Most "spider bites" are actually staph infections.

well we'll see this afternoon when the dr takes a look. I'm not a dr, but he's got the telltale pair of punctures right at the center of the swelling. But again we'll let them decide.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Healthcare in the Cape Coral/Ft. Meyers area in regards to the hospitals there I found to be a sad joke in my experience. I’m sure someone has received good care, but, that was not experience. Cluster-something is what I found.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,190 Officer
    Were they being seen ahead of you? By your post it sounds like they were in the waiting room with you. Did you tell them your wife had already been seen and told to return if symptoms worsened? I would hope that the ER would triage a potential renal infection higher than signs and symptoms of the very common Flu that is going around.

Both. We told them about the walk in clinic (privately owned) but they aren't in the same system so they couldn't see their records.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,190 Officer
    PROFINITY wrote: »
    Healthcare in the Cape Coral/Ft. Meyers area in regards to the hospitals there I found to be a sad joke in my experience. I’m sure someone has received good care, but, that was not experience. Cluster-something is what I found.

The whole Lee Memorial monopoly is sad. Can't understand why there's no competition here.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,727 Admiral
    Why would you try to drive a physician's practice. Tell them your symptoms and let them make the diagnosis. What if you are wrong but the physician allowed you to influence their diagnostics? Would you prefer an experienced physician try to figure out what is wrong with you or trust Google or WebMD? Right shoulder pain is a common sign of advanced colon cancer, left shoulder pain can be a heart attack or a ruptured spleen. Not sure you would want Motrin and physical therapy for either.

I don't think I conveyed the spirit of what I am saying. Or you are a defensive Dr.

If I go into the Dr for something I might say I am concerned that it might be X, I don't go in and tell him I have self diagnosed myself and know what the treatment he or she needs to give me.

But with some, the mere mention of the internet and they scoff at you.

Captain Todd Approves

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,893 Admiral
    Healthy 21-Year-Old Bodybuilder Dies Just Days After Flu Diagnosis

The flu-related death of a 21-year-old fitness buff from Pennsylvania is a chilling reminder that the virus can kill anyone.

Kyler Baughman had a runny nose and a slight cough when he first went to visit his family for the holidays.

Died because he wasn’t eating right.
    No collard greens, fried pork chops, rice and gravy, butter beans sweet tea and banana pudding!
    That health food crap will kill you.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,303 Captain
    mustang190 wrote: »
    No collard greens, fried pork chops, rice and gravy, butter beans sweet tea and banana pudding!

:funnypost :Agree

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 5,479 Admiral
    mustang190 wrote: »

^^^ 5'10' 268 lbs
    The protein shakes and steroids didn't save him?

Captain Todd Approves

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 7,827 Admiral
    mplspug wrote: »
    I don't think I conveyed the spirit of what I am saying. Or you are a defensive Dr.

If I go into the Dr for something I might say I am concerned that it might be X, I don't go in and tell him I have self diagnosed myself and know what the treatment he or she needs to give me.

My mother recently died of pancreatic cancer. My sister, a normal suburban housewife with no medical or scientific training correctly diagnosed some of her complications by using Google. The doctors were stunned, but sis was correct, and it was something they had not even considered.
    23895.gif
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,893 Admiral
    My mother recently died of pancreatic cancer. My sister, a normal suburban housewife with no medical or scientific training correctly diagnosed some of her complications by using Google. The doctors were stunned, but sis was correct, and it was something they had not even considered.

“Google is your friend”. Told too me by some college kids.
    I normally use the Columbia med school web site and a couple of others.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 395 Deckhand

Not scoffing at you just asking the question. A symptom could be many different things was my point. If you walk in and say I am concerned about it being X and the ER MD does not know any history on you maybe he/she just goes down that path of diagnostics. If this caused them to mis-diagnose you would you defend the physician following your advice and not their training?
    I googled "why am i sleeping on the couch so much" and sure enough, it could be traced back to hard boiled eggs and johnny walker black. Individually not terrible, but when you combine them, deadly.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Come on you know people. They driver to the mechanic's then tell them what is definitely wrong with their cars because they googled it, and 99% of the time they are dead wrong. people are people. They all think they have infinite wisdom because their phones told them that squeal was a fan belt not a wheel bearing.

And that pain in their chest is a heart attack, not a panic attack, or indigestion, or gas.

Problem is I tell my mother who's a RN what i'm feeling, she says appendix. I tell the ER doc the same thing, he's not sure.

Your Mom has training and she knows you. She knows if you make mountains out of mole hills or vice versa. Drug seekers will tell you that they have incredible pain tolerance and that they are in excrutiating pain. Some people describe their symptoms poorly or change their story when they see the MD at bedside (this is very common and I don't know why). Some people have a fear of needles or surgery and will minimize their complaints thinking the MD will give them a pill for their ails. Try to think of all the people out there and their varying intelligence and maturity levels, add in a busy and chaotic environment, tack on the fact that most ER MDs know very little about their patient's medical, social and psychological history, limited intricate diagnostic capabilities and time and tell me how you can expect anything close to perfection. It is not possible, but people not only expect it they litigate based upon it.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,667 AG
    I have professionally visited most every hospital in Florida South of Tallahassee, and the one thing I can tell you is that the company that owns the hospital makes all the difference in the world as to the level of care.

Top tier: Baycare, Florida Hospital Group, and Baptist Health.

Middle tier: Broward Health

Not so great (IMO): HCA, Lee Memorial and a few others.

If you are ever diagnosed with something serious, get thee to the Mayo Clinic in Jax if you can swing the cost. That action has saved the lives of a couple of people I know that were misdiagnosed by their doctor.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 6,907 Admiral
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Maybe you should give the guy a break, he was sitting in the ER with a loved one in pain. You saying that you wouldn't want your wife/child seen right away?

I would expect to be treated the same as others. I wouldn't expect to go to the front of the line unless the medically trained and licensed triage nurse put me there.

If she was all that sick then he should have called an ambulance.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,667 AG
    Gardawg wrote: »
    I would expect to be treated the same as others. I wouldn't expect to go to the front of the line unless the medically trained and licensed triage nurse put me there.

As has been said, ambulance does not necessarily get you in faster.

You are really at the mercy of their patient load and competency at the time of your visit.
    Most "spider bites" are actually staph infections.

Got ourselves a winner here. Apparently the punctures were from him trying to lance it with a needle and not telling us...
    Gardawg wrote: »

Maybe. If her health was immediately life or limb threatening then call an ambulance. Just know that when you do you no longer have control over which hospital you go to.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,224 Admiral
    As has been said, ambulance does not necessarily get you in faster.

You are really at the mercy of their patient load and competency at the time of your visit.

And in Fl the time of year. ER's fill up with admitted patients when the hospital is very low on regular beds. With the flu and snowbirds coming here to get sick and die there are very few open beds in the state. Also it takes time to clean and restock rooms. There is a lot to it.

As far as stupidly. I have seen teen girls come to the "emergency room", for pregnancy tests.

But when it is a loved one, some people with no life experience think the sniffles are an emergency.

BTW has anyone noticed there are very few fat old people?
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    cpr wrote: »
    And in Fl the time of year. ER's fill up with admitted patients when the hospital is very low on regular beds. With the flu and snowbirds coming here to get sick and die there are very few open beds in the state. Also it takes time to clean and restock rooms. There is a lot to it.

As far as stupidly. I have seen teen girls come to the "emergency room", for pregnancy tests.

But when it is a loved one, some people with no life experience think the sniffles are an emergency.

BTW has anyone noticed there are very few fat old people?

I worked in the villages for 3 years, i saw plenty of fat old people. With the diabetes ankles that couldn't tie their own shoes.
    Not scoffing at you just asking the question. A symptom could be many different things was my point. If you walk in and say I am concerned about it being X and the ER MD does not know any history on you maybe he/she just goes down that path of diagnostics. If this caused them to mis-diagnose you would you defend the physician following your advice and not their training?
    My only expectation is that if I say I am concerned it might be X he notes my concern and then uses his training to figure out what it is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain Todd Approves

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,479 Captain
    I googled "why am i sleeping on the couch so much" and sure enough, it could be traced back to hard boiled eggs and johnny walker black. Individually not terrible, but when you combine them, deadly.

Why sleep on the couch? Just give your girl a Dutch over and tell her to deal with it
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Fishdish- I lived on Pine Island for a while. Nice place to visit, although, I can’t live there. It’s too far from everything and there is not anything to do there unless you enjoy being a certified alcoholic.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    My only expectation is that if I say I am concerned it might be X he notes my concern and then uses his training to figure out what it is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I really want to walk in one time and tell the Doc. something is wrong with me.
    Obviously I have no training in your field, I'll just wait till you come to your conclusion.
    :BUNNY gestapo

Captain Todd Approves

• Reptile DysfunctionReptile Dysfunction LP - Edge of the Known UniversePosts: 3,009 Captain
    "If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free" - P. J. O'Rourke
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,238 Officer
    So let me see if I got this correct.......if I do any research to try to self diagnose my condition then I'm an idiot.

But once the doctor tells me what I got..........I'm supposed to dictate and insist what he prescribes for me based on the pharmaceutical companies advertisements I've been bombarded with all day.

:rolleyesYJCMTSU:rolleyes

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

gandrfab wrote: »
    I really want to walk in one time and tell the Doc. something is wrong with me.
    Obviously I have no training in your field, I'll just wait till you come to your conclusion.

Look I get what you guys are saying but if you know what is wrong with you why see a doctor? You can order meds online too. Remember a lot of this is about wait times etc. MDs in ERs will go down the "most likely" corridor based on your symptoms and presentations. The problem is a lot of people now expect a CT scan or an MRI for headaches, back aches and abdominal pain. Remember an ER physician is a jack of all trades, master of none. It is very difficult to get micro-diagnoses in the ER. There is no time to perform 4-6 hour work ups on each patient. Just please step away from yourself for a minute and look at the situation from a larger (or community if you prefer) perspective. The same resource has to be available to all and huge work ups to chase down a Google search are not very reasonable. I don't care how informed you think you are.
    So let me see if I got this correct.......if I do any research to try to self diagnose my condition then I'm an idiot.

But once the doctor tells me what I got..........I'm supposed to dictate and insist what he prescribes for me based on the pharmaceutical companies advertisements I've been bombarded with all day.

:rolleyesYJCMTSU:rolleyes

Not an idiot. But Google "Abdominal Pain" and see the myriad of things that come up as possibilities. Then tell me if, in your opinion, an ER MD has the time to chase down each possibility. Not that I have ever seen but maybe where you live that type of time and money exist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file