People driving at dusk/dark with no headlights...

SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,706 Admiral
It's getting worse and it's rather dangerous. Seems to be mostly women with the vast majority driving Fords.

Discuss.
I may be entitled to compensation.

Replies

• nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,074 Admin
    And what about people who just put on their parking lights at dusk? Do they think they're saving electricity, or adding to the life of the headlights by not using them?
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,567 Captain
    My two Fords have an automatic headlight setting that turns them on when it gets dark. It will also turn the headlights on when the windshield wipers are activated.
    In a lot of states, it's mandatory to have your lights on when the wipers are on.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headlight-use/
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,706 Admiral
    There are also those whose vehicles have daytime running lamps that keep the "headlights" on but don't run the tail lights.

Lest we forget that the most important part of driving is to be texting constantly and updating your status on social media sites.
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 10,662 AG
    SAENole wrote: »
    There are also those whose vehicles have daytime running lamps that keep the "headlights" on but don't run the tail lights.

Lest we forget that the most important part of driving is to be texting constantly and updating your status on social media sites.

Good word, don't see it very often.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,372 Admiral
    Most newer vehicles have photocells that turn on the lights at dawn and dusk and you have to be some kind of idiot to shut them off. That said there are no shortage of those on the road this time of year. same people who make right hand turns from the left lane because they have no clue where they are going.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,707 Admiral
    Maybe their other cars have the auto headlights on them?

I've seen it quite often too. More often than I should. Everytime I see it I was to blink my headlights or flick my brights on to tell them. But then I think maybe there is a reason they are trying to be sneaky or they are unstable, so I don't do it. Not my problem and I don't need to get shot.

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug wrote: »
    Maybe their other cars have the auto headlights on them?

I've seen it quite often too. More often than I should. Everytime I see it I was to blink my headlights or flick my brights on to tell them. But then I think maybe there is a reason they are trying to be sneaky or they are unstable, so I don't do it. Not my problem and I don't need to get shot.

I always flash em.

1. i can shoot back

2. I'll take my chances outrunning them w the Ram hemi. Most of the vehicles I see are not something that is going to chase you down. That 03 buick is on it's last legs as is, but it's got an auto light.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 9,706 Admiral
    3. They're not going to see you anyway with their heads buried into their smartphones.
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,189 Officer
    It's horrible. I flash my lights at every one of them but they still don't turn them on.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 1,118 Officer
    Believe its law in Florida, if it's raining and you're running wipers lights are required to be on. Also you can get a ticket driving in a rain with emergency flashers going. I also know a lot of old road courtesies have disappeared such as flashing brights from rear when passing another car to let them know your coming around and the car being passed would flash theirs to acknowledge. Today people don't use turn signals or common courtesies. Leave a few car lengths in front for safety and a moron or two will slide their car in there. I also get a kick out of the bumper stickers saying "watch out for motorcycles they're everywhere". That's so true, they're weaving in and out of traffic between vehicles going down the interstates and pulling past you on the right when you're in the right lane getting ready to make a right turn. The riders (not everyone) are often very careless.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 602 Officer
    I for one am glad the blind the person in front of you before you pass them courtesy is gone.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 2,506 Captain
    HA I have the opposite going on. There's a jeep that is always riding around with their safari LED roof mounted light bar on. I've never had the pleasure of being beside Indiana Jones, but his time is coming
    I also know a lot of old road courtesies have disappeared such as flashing brights from rear when passing another car to let them know your coming around and the car being passed would flash theirs to acknowledge.

That must be a very old courtesy. Either that or you misunderstand that someone flashing their brights behind you means move over you are driving too slow.

Captain Todd Approves

I just want to know when getting in turning lanes is going to come back in style. 3 times last night in a 1 mile stretch someone stopped in the drive lane and pulled over in a 10' span to get into a turning lane right at the light/street to turn. Turning lanes are there for a reason. Why not use them?

I assume this lunacy will abate right around the monday after Easter, usually does
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 8,853 Admiral
    FYI. The mirrors on all the new trucks have a anti glare coating. So while your passing a truck or hanging out in the left lane in a rain or just a wet road with no lights on I can barely see you. If I have to make a lane change the turn signal is coming on and after s couple of flash’s Im moving over.
    And please do not rely on those automatic headlights, most of the time they don’t work.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
    You must have been the landscaper with the big trailer that nearly ran me off 417 yesterday. Wait, he signaled half way into the left lane and as I honked my horn.

At least he was nice enough to go back to the right lane after he passed the vehicle he was behind.

Captain Todd Approves

• evernicevernic Posts: 722 Officer
    SAENole wrote: »
    It's getting worse and it's rather dangerous. Seems to be mostly women with the vast majority driving Fords.

Discuss.

it's an epidemic in SoFla...I see 5,8,10,20 depending how far I go...idiots it's totally dark and they have NO lights on.
    I THINK maybe since newer cars have dash lights on all the time they don't notice...yes I am OLD...dash lights used to only come on when you turned on the lights...if I can get behind them I'll flash high beams on and off, sometimes it works, sometimes not...they are oblivious...end of rant...except for when it rains also:hairraiser
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 6,897 Admiral
    It's a good thing my vehicle does not have a public address system.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,693 Captain
    Always told my kids. It's not for you to see. It's for people to see you.
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    Always told my kids. It's not for you to see. It's for people to see you.

Exactly!!
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 536 Officer
    And there's the cats with the blue headlights...those things mess me up, but then I have a certain amount of night blindness which is unsettling. We generally encounter at least one lunatic on a motorcycle doing about 90 miles an hour around Miami on our way to the keys and he's wearing shorts and flip flops...are you insane man? If we make a quick lane change and he can't brake coming up behind us he's going to be dead...just how stupid are you?
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 6,897 Admiral
    ncdead wrote: »
    ..just how stupid are you?

'bout this much

592c6ecf9a6ab.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C900
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 536 Officer
    That's why I gave up my motorcycles when I was a teenager when I almost killed myself several times...almost hit a dog once late night, squarely hit a bag of feed on my afternoon job after school at the dairy farm ..( 45 dollars a week, 7 days week)that fell off the back off the truck in front....was following a bit close cause I was in a hurry to get there for milking time. Keep your motorcycles. I dig the attraction but back when I gave mine up I said screw this...I'm sticking with my 73 Volkswagen Beetle
    Jesus where did the find the body? 500 feet away?
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,189 Officer
    I just want to know when getting in turning lanes is going to come back in style. 3 times last night in a 1 mile stretch someone stopped in the drive lane and pulled over in a 10' span to get into a turning lane right at the light/street to turn. Turning lanes are there for a reason. Why not use them?

I assume this lunacy will abate right around the monday after Easter, usually does

Drives me crazy when a freaking Prius makes a wide turn like they have a 53' trailer behind them.
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 2,867 Captain
    fishdish wrote: »
    Drives me crazy when a freaking Prius makes a wide turn like they have a 53' trailer behind them.

mustang just can't get out of the habit
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,340 Captain
    Believe it or not I saw a trooper pull a van over for not having it's lights on at dusk. At least I believe it was the reason they weren't speeding.
  • SinjunmbSinjunmb Posts: 91 Greenhorn
    I haven't read the whole thread but it is ironic. I have noticed a lot of people driving without lights when they should be lately. And I'm like don't most cars have auto lights. My 2007 vibe had auto lights and that was over ten years ago.
    Jesus where did the find the body? 500 feet away?

Probably in many pieces?
    hatcity wrote: »
    mustang just can't get out of the habit

:)
    Actually your more right than you think.:wink
    After driving 4000 miles and then getting in my car, it's an adjustment.:hairraiser

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file