Snook Die Off Gulf Coast

floridafanfloridafan Posts: 65 Deckhand
I have heard of significant Snook losses from the freeze from Wacasassa, Yankeetown, and Ozello. Has anyone heard of other areas where there has been a large kill? How far south did the freeze impact the snook population?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,757 Captain
    No kill at all down here in south Florida (I fish the 'Glades...). Over on Microskiff they've got a good thread on this topic - here it is...
    https://www.microskiff.com/threads/irl-snook-kill.49205/

Hope this helps...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • floridafanfloridafan Posts: 65 Deckhand
    Thank you for the link. Tough deal.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 897 Officer
    Tampa Bay is 100% fine. No issues. Water temp today was 59.3 in the open water and 61-63 in most canals.
  • floridafanfloridafan Posts: 65 Deckhand
    Is the ramp and motel at Chokoloskee still operational?
  • vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Seems fine down here...I Was out yesterday and today south Pine Island Sound and mouth of the Caloosahatchee River, average water temp was 59 and 61 degrees respectively and only saw one dead bonnethead on a flat and a large dead sail cat in a deep canal. I did see a ton of big Snook in groups... but couldn't get a single one to eat the DOA and Gulp shrimp I offered up. I may have had a better chance if I would've had a few nice medium to large live shrimp. All in all a good day on the water and had to stop to catch a couple trout to bend the rod.... Just happy to see our Snook down here still kicking!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,051 Moderator
    I got this report from a friend

"Sickening is the word for all the dead Snook and other fish after this cold snap. The water at the mouth of the Withlacoochee dropped to 42 degrees. That is dangerous to fatal for several species when the drop is sudden.

There were some large Trout, at least one Jewfish, Trippletail, a 7-8# Permit that was barely kicking,a big bunch of Horse Ballyhoo, and many hundreds of big Snook. This was in one small area and the scene changed with the tides.

I saw one Snook that might have been a World Record in May. I've caught a bunch of big Snook up to 48" and measured one that was 50.5" about 4 years ago. Hopefully enough Snook in the Barge Canal, power plant discharge, carious springs and in Crystal River survived and will have successful spawns this summer."
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 897 Officer
    I got this report from a friend

"Sickening is the word for all the dead Snook and other fish after this cold snap. The water at the mouth of the Withlacoochee dropped to 42 degrees. That is dangerous to fatal for several species when the drop is sudden.

There were some large Trout, at least one Jewfish, Trippletail, a 7-8# Permit that was barely kicking,a big bunch of Horse Ballyhoo, and many hundreds of big Snook. This was in one small area and the scene changed with the tides.

I saw one Snook that might have been a World Record in May. I've caught a bunch of big Snook up to 48" and measured one that was 50.5" about 4 years ago. Hopefully enough Snook in the Barge Canal, power plant discharge, carious springs and in Crystal River survived and will have successful spawns this summer."

It's commonly held that their range isn't usually past Tarpon Springs. When they get that far up north it's going to happen.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,075 Captain
    Yeah, as long as the winter kill was restricted to the northern extreme of their range, they shouldn't have to shut down the fishery. But you never know.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,990 AG
    I wonder how the dead fish affect the ecosystem? Could be they are beneficial fertilizer like the dead salmon in rivers? Or just added nutrients the system can't handle. I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,707 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.

Being the mouth of the river, I doubt it has much effect at all on the system, but come of the crabs will be eating good...and then the fish will be eating good.

Captain Todd Approves

• CascobaykidCascobaykid Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I wonder how the dead fish affect the ecosystem? Could be they are beneficial fertilizer like the dead salmon in rivers? Or just added nutrients the system can't handle. I like to think there is a benefit in the long run.

Think about it, Its a natural cycle...How could that be bad for the ecosystem? I'm sure many other sea creatures benefit in many ways from the die off.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,805 Captain
    I fished Suwannee in the days after the worst of the snap. It made the redfish and trout hungry. Saw no dead snook but did see some dying mangrove snapper and a couple of dead catfish. I honestly don't think that much north of Waccasassa there is any sort of quality stock of them anyway. Even if they were hiding in the river mouth at Suwannee the incoming water from the gulf dropped the river down into the 48 degree range, too cold for snook.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 787 Officer

NOTHING goes to waste. In the water the dead are consumed by crabs, minnows, and small fish, just like they do around a fish cleaning station. Birds help on the cleanup along the banks.
    003.jpg 29.4K

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,274 Admiral
    nothing much here cleaning them up cept me, picked up 5 wheelbarrow loads off my property today.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,274 Admiral
    need some real good cold weather to get them back to south of Pasco and I won't have to put up with this crap again.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,693 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    need some real good cold weather to get them back to south of Pasco and I won't have to put up with this crap again.

:rotflmao
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,951 Admiral
    This happens every 5-7 years.
    No big deal. No big tragedy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file