Buying in Punta Gorda - Fishing and general advise - how do you like the area?

2»

Replies

• MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Look at South Gulf Cove while you're here also.
    So I think I was looking in that area on Zillow but not sure. It looked like the canals were land locked?
    Any comments on the North Port area? Thinking about a home off Big Slough in North Port.
    Fishing, etc?
    Anyone want to go fishing in the Port Charlotte area this Sunday or Monday?
    I'll buy the gas! :-)
    (Yes I am asking for someone to go fishing with when I don't even have a boat, hahaha.... :-) )
  • chicochico Posts: 492 Deckhand
    The "thing" that sets Punta Gorda apart from some of the other areas is that there is a true sense of community, lots of social events, music, markets, celebrations, festivals, seems like they are celebrating something every week. My wife's first impression was that it was almost like a big family, "almost a cult" she said of her first experience there. I do think Englewood is very nice as well, and much closer to the Gulf. Take a look around, I am sure you will find something NICE in your price range!!
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,514 Captain
    Most of the houses near big slough are in a 5 year floodplain... i.e.... they flood on average once every 5 years. Most, not all, are cash only houses as insurance companies won't touch them.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Most of the houses near big slough are in a 5 year floodplain... i.e.... they flood on average once every 5 years. Most, not all, are cash only houses as insurance companies won't touch them.

That's good to know. I will have to look that up further.

Any charter availability this weekend Capt. Keith?
  • DazDaz Posts: 76 Deckhand
    Mikelleen wrote: »
    So I think I was looking in that area on Zillow but not sure. It looked like the canals were land locked?

We're not landlocked, but the SGC canal system is separated from the river/harbor by an actual lock. Brackish water and no tides. Wide variety of pricing in here from $200s to $1mil depending on lot size and location (dry, water, sailboat access water).
    Daz

Egret 167 c/K
    41' Island Packet cutter
    Offer made and accepted house in North Port, on big slough. Yeah a bit more N.E. than I'd like but it's a great, newer home with a 3 car garage. So here we go.
    Went to the boat show at the fair grounds yesterday. Good times.
  • oldcrackeroldcracker Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Offer made and accepted house in North Port, on big slough. Yeah a bit more N.E. than I'd like but it's a great, newer home with a 3 car garage. So here we go.

Got 4 lots in Harbor Heights if anyones interested. About a mile to the ramp. Nice and dry but not much there.
    USCG Capt. Don Mathews
    www.steelheadschool.com
    29' Hydra-Sport Vector twin 225 Yamaha's
    21' Nitro CC inshore
    Nokomis Fl.
  • chicochico Posts: 492 Deckhand

Glad you found something!!
  • ScottaenglundScottaenglund Posts: 66 Greenhorn

I may be late to call his conversation, but I moved down to Cape Coral. We have a fair bit of rules as well, and you are responsible for your own sea wall. Sea wall replacements are not cheap. But getting to the gulf is pretty easy. Takes me about 25 min. The city is well established. I have great neighbors, and the fishing from my dock in s pretty good, most of the year. Snapper, snook, jacks.

Worth checking out

2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file