Buying in Punta Gorda - Fishing and general advise - how do you like the area?

Looking to buy in Punta Gorda, I'm looking to retire there full time.
Wondering about comments about the area:
How is the area to live in, in general?
Can I fish from canal behind house? In the N.W. Punta Gorda Isles area.
How long to get out to Boca Grande?
How is the fishing in general in the area?
Complaints, issues?
Is the city good at maintaining sea walls?
Code compliance, are they hard a$$ about it, or what will happen if I put my boat trailer behind my house?
Anything else?

Just looking to get some information before I make the leap, any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Yes you can fish off your dock. The Isles are different. They may or maynot let you have your boat on a trailer in your yard. They also pay a yearly fee per lot to Punta Gorda for seawall maintenance. Right now they are waiting for Fema funding to repair Irma damage. I like Punta Gorda (I live outside of town). The people in the Isles give me gas.
  • chicochico Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I am 100% with Lostconch on everything he said. I too am outside of town, about 7 miles north off 17 along the Peace River. I absolutely LOVE Punta Gorda!! Fishing is always on/off again, you can only catch what happens to be there, when you are fishing. If you like a lot of regulations and neighbors telling you what you can and can't do, the Isles might be for you. There are restrictions everywhere, but the Isles has gone overboard on some issues. Code compliance is strict in all of Charlotte County, ever since hurricane Charley hit, in the Isles, you won't get ANY slack. Read all the fine print in both the deed restrictions and the town restrictions and codes, be prepared to live by them. We hope you find a place that suits you here!! Hope to fish with you one day!!
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    OK good replies. So we have not bought yet.
    What areas outside of town are good that will let me have a home on a canal and a good neighborhood?

I am very interested in the area.

Thanks!
    Mike
    My brother was looking at this place, near me. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/28474-Coco-Palm-Dr,-Punta-Gorda,-FL-33982_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplicitClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy It is some kind of auction thing so he changed his mind. This neighborhood is in a secluded area about 7 miles North of town, if you look on a map many houses have canals right behind them with direct access to the Peace River. Only bridges are the two big ones for Rt 41 and 75. There is no thru traffic in this area, neighbors all seem to be friendly as I walk my dog there often. I am on the other end of Hunter Creek Drive, we do not have direct water access. I found my house by looking on realtor.com I am not sure if there are houses available there now, but it's worth a look.
    Like chico I live off the River about 8 miles up 17. There are several loose devolpments out that way. Since Irma fishing has been off but it will come back in the spring
    So guys, I am looking at a house right now just west of the 41 bridge, on the Port Charlotte side of the bridge. So Port Charlotte not Punta Gorda.

I'm wondering is that all fresh water or brackish?
    How is the fishing around the Hwy 41 bridge area?

Where does the water start getting salty down the harbor?

If I wanted to boat out from that general area around the Hwy 41 bridge and go out to Boca Grande to go fishing how long would that take in a standard bay boat?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn as much as I can before pulling the purchase trigger! :-)

Look forward to going fishing with y'all...
  • Garage DogGarage Dog Posts: 153 Deckhand
    Spend some time looking around this site. Listen to the pod casts...A bit quirky sometimes but great info. Anything related to fishing this area can be found here.
    http://fishinfranks.com
    Garage Dog wrote: »
    Spend some time looking around this site. Listen to the pod casts...A bit quirky sometimes but great info. Anything related to fishing this area can be found here.
    http://fishinfranks.com

Yeah, good stuff, kind of fun.
  • vernonvernon Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    just moved into gulf cove off Myakka river you can keep boat in back yard
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,602 Captain
    Mikelleen wrote: »
    So guys, I am looking at a house right now just west of the 41 bridge, on the Port Charlotte side of the bridge. So Port Charlotte not Punta Gorda.

If I wanted to boat out from that general area around the Hwy 41 bridge and go out to Boca Grande to go fishing how long would that take in a standard bay boat?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn as much as I can before pulling the purchase trigger! :-)

It's brackish but mostly salt. You'll see gar there once in awhile but no bass or anything typically.
    Takes about 40 minutes or so in a decent boat to get to Boca pass from there.

Thanks.

-Keith
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    Thanks good replies. I will look in that area as well. I have no knowledge of that area bu I will look it up.

Thanks for the travel time information as well.

Getting a bit anxious about the purchase. Any other information appreciated.
  • youngeryounger Posts: 53 Deckhand
    Thanks good replies. I will look in that area as well. I have no knowledge of that area bu I will look it up.

Thanks for the travel time information as well.

Getting a bit anxious about the purchase. Any other information appreciated.

Let me know if there is any other information you need, happy to help. I have all of the deed restriction info, boating time to harbor in PG, etc.
    Brian Young, Realtor
    Five Star Realty of Charlotte County Inc., Broker
    BrianYoung@fivestarrealty.com
    www.fivestarrealty.com
    941-769-3803
    younger wrote: »
    Let me know if there is any other information you need, happy to help. I have all of the deed restriction info, boating time to harbor in PG, etc.

I've been looking at Punta Gorda Isles too but seems to be very restrictive. I'd like to learn more. I see you're a realtor maybe we can discuss. Send me an email at mikelleenATgmailDOTcom
    I've been looking at Punta Gorda Isles too but seems to be very restrictive.

Anything and everything you do in Charlotte County anywhere requires a permit and the building department, in fact local government in general is a nightmare. It's been that way for the almost 40 years I've been here and it ain't gonna change. You will most likely eventually get what you want but the hassle you'll go through will be unbelievable. Lee county is strict as well but at least Lee county for the most part are nice folks which in Charlotte they are NOT.

Unless you are on a land locked canal, the water is salt, even 7 miles up the river it is brackish with about 50% the salinity of the gulf (according to some scientists who were taking water samples in the river by me). I only purchase a salt water license. Not sure about the boat ride out to Boca Grande, never actually watched the clock, maybe a half hour? Someone else can chime in here.
    I hear what you say about the Charlotte County Officials, I have had contractors struggle to get permits, and get hassled, then the next guy I get has NO problems and has the permits and any variances ready in no time. Go figure. I have even asked the guys with no hassles if there is any grease involved and they say no, just have to know the people.
  • OlivergOliverg Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I am building a place in Rotonda ie Englewood...I love the area low crime good fishing starlight...just saying
    Oliverg wrote: »
    I am building a place in Rotonda ie Englewood...I love the area low crime good fishing starlight...just saying

Ok thanks I will look this area up too in my search.

Bummer about the other comments on county bureaucracy. Are you having issues with permits, etc?

We built a huge permitted shop here in Utah, I was lucky enough to work with a good city inspector, who did his part to keep me in compliance but was also easy to work with.

Not wanting to go off topic here, so any other comments about the area, lifestyle, fishing? What about hunting opportunities and even though I'm getting up in years I'd like to be able to ride some enduro or trails too. Maybe do some motorcycle camping.
    Oh and one other thing. Admittedly a bit of a stupid question as I'll be living right on the water, but how bad are the mosquitoes and no see ums in the area? Especially sitting outside at the house?
    I know it depends on a lot of variables, where I buy, rain fall, etc. Just trying to get a general idea.

Thanks!
  • Capt. KevinCapt. Kevin Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    How much are you looking to spend? I live on the water in englewood and there are some good deals on the water by me.
    Realistically 330 k cash. Could maybe stretch that to 340 or so. Definitely under 350.
    Capt. Kevin said:
    Today 08:44 AM
    How much are you looking to spend? I live on the water in englewood and there are some good deals on the water by me

Can you give me more information? Where is this and what kind of deals are available?

Thanks!
    Mike
  • OlivergOliverg Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I bought a lot in rotunda for 30 k west facing backing on pond...then my house is 311 from edgewater homes...I was very picky as I wanted no flood zone...call trish bowley at edgewater she was great looked hard at cape coral punta gorda but as a northern canadian this area fit me great ples maybe we can get kevin to take us fishin :)
    Thanks. I am flying out this weekend. Will be looking in Port Charlotte AL weekend. Staying a couple of miles from Fishin Franks, might do some pier fishing.
  • qbert4200qbert4200 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    If you are in need of a little mortgage to cover some of the purchase please let me know. I have been lending in Florida for many years and would love to help you out. I am also an avid fisherman in that area.
    Oliverg wrote: »
    I bought a lot in rotunda for 30 k west facing backing on pond...then my house is 311 from edgewater homes...I was very picky as I wanted no flood zone...call trish bowley at edgewater she was great looked hard at cape coral punta gorda but as a northern canadian this area fit me great ples maybe we can get kevin to take us fishin :)

Just be aware that Rotonda WAS in a flood zone until a few years ago when the state/county change it. Depending on where exactly you are your only 5 miles or less from the gulf. You are no longer mandated to have flood insurance. Most of my neighbors canceled theirs, I didn't. and I can tell you that they were not feeling to about that when Irma was on here way here. We were very Blessed that it missed up but I would not even think about not having flood insurance in Rotonda.
    BTW, if your on a pond you probably have some nice large mouth bass in there! Just watch for the gators.
    Have you ever been here in the summer? There is a whole lot more humidity than you have in Utah
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,602 Captain
    Look at South Gulf Cove while you're here also.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Mdmike723Mdmike723 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    My dad is in Punta Gorda off of Rio Villa Dr. Not sure where the Isles are but his neighborhood seems nice. His canal is off Alligator Creek and is about a 30 min run to the pass. I have another 20 years before I can retire but when I do I'll be moving down there.
    Lostconch wrote: »
    Have you ever been here in the summer? There is a whole lot more humidity than you have in Utah
    Yeah great question. We have spent a week this past June during one of the hotest weeks in the year. We were fine. I like hot weather!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file