Triple Tail question

So I launched out of Goodland 2 weeks ago with hopes of catching my first triple tail, finally on the 2nd set of crab floats I spotted one. I was so happy just to see what one looked like. I used my trolling motor to get up current and put it in anchor mode, cast past him with a 1/8 jig and Berkeley 4" new penny shrimp brought it slowly past with no results. Finally switched out the jig for a unweighted hook and landed him. Headed back in with my first keeper T T.
Went out last week with a friend looking for pompano but no luck, wind died down so we went looking for triple tail again. Found a bunch of floats in front of Marco, spotted 2 big triple tails but couldn't get them to bight even using live shrimp. Was wandering what I did wrong. There were a lot of people out fishing this day, don't known if they had been spooked? Is there anything I should have done differently. Any advice would be Greatly Appreciated

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 185 Deckhand
    It has been more than 30 years since I did where you did...exactly from Marco down to Cape Romano pots...but I used a 1/4 yellow jig tipped with shrimp tail and brought it to the nose and dropped it making sure it's down current so as not to foul the pot line....crabbers tend to be "nervous " about others touching their pots
  • Bw booneBw boone Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks tarpon41, I did talk to a guide with more than 30 years experience and he told me basically the same thing. His advice was to toss past the fish and reel back, when the jig is in front of his face stop reeling and let it sink to the bottom. I tried this with no luck.
    I think I caught the triple tail bug, kind of like hunting at the same time.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 428 Deckhand
    They always "bite" a pole spear, just sayin!
    we need more internet money
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    We all do things differently - that's for sure.... Whenever my anglers encounter a triple near the surface (during summer time when they're a lot shallower than you find them when they're around pot markers -pots and markers are pulled by crabbers in May...) I note which way the current is running and have my angler work a bit up-current of that - then just work the jig (or fly) within the triple's vision, and that's usually all it takes... When we don't see a fish -but we're on a spot that I know holds them (channel marker, downed tree, etc.) -then I have them simply work the lure as close to the bottom as possible on the side of the structure the fish should be holding on.... A cast or two and we either have a strike or we're gone - this with either a leadhead with a Gulp tail or a Clouser if we're tossing flies at them. We regularly take fish up to around ten pounds in summer this way....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I've been out recently and thrown live shrimp multiple times with no bites then tried a live greenback and it ate it immediately. A few other things I do with live shrimp is bite the end of the tail off and cast up current. That way when the shrimp drifts towards the fish there is less chance of it swimming out of the way, also releases a bit more scent. Lastly, when you cast up current and the shrimp drifts back keep your bail open till you see the fish eat the shrimp. This is especially important in current and wind to make sure you don't end up pulling the shrimp away from the fish. You want it to look as natural as possible.
  • Bw booneBw boone Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll have to throw a net next time out and see if this works. The last time out I was fishing within 2 miles from shore but with the water cooling down will these move further offshore? Thank you lemaymiami for your advice, I'll try deeper around Chanel markers to see if there are any around next time out. I fish out of a 20' boat so need to pick my day's targeting them.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 211 Deckhand
    We've  caught them in the back bays of Goodland,but they are always a surprise because we are blind casting for trout and Reds.  Caught a ten pounder I was sure was a great Red.  I was pleasantly surprised by the bonus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file