I'll Ask, Is This Insane Or What?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,667 Captain
My son took a small electric trolling motor, chopped off the top and screwed it to the back of my Kayak and rigged a small rod to steer it. Is it true I must register and licence it with numbers on the hull just like my 36 CC offshore boat? How about a large scale RC boat? Is that next? What a freaking joke.


  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,667 Captain
    Sorry for the typo in the title.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 675 Officer
    Very inventive son. But the kayak is now under power.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,633 Captain
    Yes it needs to be registered now that its powered. Been on the books for a very long time.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,130 Officer
    Yep.... if you don't register it he will be stopped by FWC. They will probably issue him a warning the first time but then they will put him into the system, and if he gets stopped again it will cost you a great deal more then the registration fee. If you don't have a title for the kayak you will have to provide one of these:

    A proof of ownership document such as:

    Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin.
    Official statement of the vessel's builder.
    Dealer's bill of sale.

  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 3,870 Captain

    Yep, heck they are even considering requiring a registration for paddle craft too. Mo money for the government cause they aint got enough. I put a trolling motor on my home made canoe and I got it registered.

    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file