What's The Biggest Fish Or Oddest Thing You Have Caught In A Cast Net?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,531 Captain
Like the title says, let's here it......

Replies

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 737 Officer
    5 foot gator blind casting for finger mullet 18 th street bridge boca raton
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 3,531 Captain
    bocapup1 wrote: »
    5 foot gator blind casting for finger mullet 18 th street bridge boca raton

Oh God. That is not good. Lol
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,274 Admiral
    4-500 lbs of redfish on a cold morning in Citrus county..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • dilligaf84dilligaf84 Posts: 874 Officer
    Manatee in 20ft of water while shrimping.
  • BskyBsky Posts: 71 Deckhand
    3 35" snook casting for greenbacks in bradenton.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,568 Captain
    Nearly new Boca 80 on a Shimano Tallus rod. (I knew approximately where it was at since it was 'lost' overboard during a tarpon battle).
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 9,298 Admiral
    About 500lbs of black drum at the big bridge on the Courney Campbell Causeway in Tampa. It didn't end well for the net.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,262 Admiral
    Not really odd or big, but stingrays are a PITA.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    green moray eel, about 4 ft. long. wadded my net up, and did not like me trying to free him at all! patched on that cast net for a good two hours.
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 463 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Nearly new Boca 80 on a Shimano Tallus rod. (I knew approximately where it was at since it was 'lost' overboard during a tarpon battle).

Nice

I've caught up to 4ft diameter stingrays, a 4ft shark, and once I had a bunch of pinfish chummed up on a day when getting bait was tough. Kinda in a hurry and not paying attention I didn't notice the school of catfish that moved it. 20 of those take a long time to get out of a net.
  • pottydocpottydoc Posts: 1,839 Captain
    A tarpon about 4' long at the Lake Worth spillway. A biiiggg nurse shark catching bait early in the morning on a Steinhatchee flat. Both instances required the purchase of a new net. We let the he shark have the 8' custom net that he was in.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,568 Captain
    farside88 wrote: »
    Nice

I've caught up to 4ft diameter stingrays, a 4ft shark, and once I had a bunch of pinfish chummed up on a day when getting bait was tough. Kinda in a hurry and not paying attention I didn't notice the school of catfish that moved it. 20 of those take a long time to get out of a net.

Man I've done that too.. had about 6 in the net and came pretty close to just cutting the fish out and tossing it. Those reverse barbs on the cats are no joke.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 486 Deckhand
    A 12' net full of houndfish. Threw on ballyhoo and they were there too. Frayed netting.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,865 Captain
    That's a size 11 flip flop for comparison.

When I pulled this guy up, he was all puffed up with water & HEAVY. By the time I got the camera out, he had deflated. It's the biggest puffer I have ever seen. I threw him back.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,262 Admiral
    ^^^That thing is scary!

Had no idea they got that big.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Watched from the back of the skiff my buddy throw a 12' net on top of a manatee in about 4' of water. We didnt know he was there under a school of mullet... Needless to say he launched off the front of the boat, but luckily once he hit the water the manatee was out of the net...
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 81 Greenhorn
    Juvenile Goliath 25cent in stuart.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Caught a ballyhoo in the IRL a few miles south of Sebastian inlet.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,415 AG
    An Adult Great Blue Heron....and... He was wilder than a Honey Badger with hemorrhoids. :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,951 Admiral
    8 lb sheepshead throwing for bait off marina dock
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,346 Captain
    3 pelicans. Flew under the net while it was dropping from the bridge.
  • chicochico Posts: 496 Deckhand
    14" striped bass in Delaware, and a keeper size flounder in Palmico Sound.
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,369 Officer
    Me and my father-in-law were fishing in Stump Pass (fishing from beach). We noticed a big gray heron all tangled up in monofilament line. The bird could not fly and could only take small steps because the line was wrapped around his legs. My father-in-law intentionally threw his cast net over the bird, we wrestled him down and spent about 15 min. cutting line and removing hooks from the birds wings and legs.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 896 Officer
    20# snook and a Bonefish. Both were netted while catching finger mullet in Boynton Beach.
  • HurricaneBKHurricaneBK Posts: 200 Deckhand
    I've caught a few lobster cast netting pilchards on the grass flats around here, even got a stone crab once :rotflmao

Watched some googans intentionally throw a cast net on a tarpon hanging out around a dock's lights at night, it didn't end well for anyone.
    BoatEasy
    The Boater-to-Boater Marketplace
    www.BoatEasy.net
    Find and Share Services, Expertise and Products with Boaters Near You
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 542 Officer
    Floated my cast net with Menhaden once, pretty impressive with a 12' net.
  • SnookSlob1SnookSlob1 Posts: 42 Greenhorn
    I've caught a few lobster cast netting pilchards on the grass flats around here, even got a stone crab once :rotflmao

Watched some googans intentionally throw a cast net on a tarpon hanging out around a dock's lights at night, it didn't end well for anyone.
    Isn’t it illegall to castnet tarpon also a pretty trashy move
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 145 Deckhand
    a very large lionfish off the channel of lake boca...that was not enjoyable to get out of the net.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 536 Officer
    Caught a snapping turtle one night off a small dock in Carolina. I started to bring it up to the surface and saw the dark back and thought it was a doormat flounder and snatched it up on the dock wearing sandals and it was not pleased. Almost got my foot and I almost fell off the dock trying to get away. Took a few minutes to him out off the net...tore it up pretty good but I left with all my toes. Had no idea snapping turtles were in salt water....Jesus that freaked me out.
  • ncdeadncdead Posts: 536 Officer

How **** stupid do you have to be to throw a cast net on tarpon? Hell I don't even try to catch tarpon off the dock with a rod and reel even though they are right there eating scraps of dolphins and tuna from the cleaning table...seems pointless....my buddy did it though...granted it was only about 15 or twenty pounds...he was as drunk as forty hells. He announced that he was going to catch tommy the tarpon..put a chunk of bait on the hook and dropped it down and it was on. Tarpon ran through the pilings..we thought ok this is over but damned if it didn't come back through the the pilings and he got his tarpon. We were howling. Funny thing to watch...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file