Boynton Inlet 12/14/17 - Mixed Bag

The 42 degree weather this morning kept me from getting an early start. I broke the inlet facing 1 to 2 foot seas, not bad - decided to zig-zag North. Put out a 3 line spread. One ballyhoo with a blue and white Islander, another with a green and yellow Islander, and a shiny spoon on a #4 planer... Didn't get any activity until just south of the bath & tennis club in 120'. The Yellow /green Islander got clobbered by a Bonehead. Reset, not long after the planer starts to scream. One medium sized Kingfish on ice after inhaling the spoon! Circled back, tried again over the same area, no joy. Pressed-on... in area of the Breakers in 95' ft. the green lslander gets crushed! A short fight later & a good sized Bonehead on ice...
Saw lots of 'Peanut" Flying Fish in 100' ft. - birds were working them heavily as were the predators - probably why I got the bites I did during this time. Wound up at the LWI area and decided to call it a day. Had to get around the dredge/barge inside the LWI, made my way to the ditch and headed south back to Boynton. The wind was out of the south/southwest and would have made for a wet ride back to the ramp outside.
Looking forward to some Spanish Macs showing up at Pecks Lake soon with this cool weather...

Pura Vida!

Replies

• Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,216 Officer
    Way to go Bill atleast you had some bites,
    and it was sure cold in the morning.
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 130 Officer
    What was the water quality like - blue or green? Any current? Heading out of Boynton tomorrow am! Thanks for the report!
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Nice that you got some action. Planning to go out tomorrow for mahi, deep drop, then jigging. Not sure how this cold will affect the fishing, heard its a little slow now.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • ReelHazardReelHazard Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report! I'll be out of Jupiter tomorrow so hopefully we'll get reports from that area too.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,329 Captain
    ameristrat wrote: »
    What was the water quality like - blue or green? Any current? Heading out of Boynton tomorrow am! Thanks for the report!

Water was blue. Visibility was good, could see color a good ways down when bringing in the fish. No weeds or debris of any kind out to 350' anyway. Current was about 2.5 knots. Not bad all things considered. Saw a lot of fishing activity just south of LW Pier in 90 ft. Head boats were out too, don't think they are doing much - heard it's slow for them.
    I was hoping for a stray Wahoo or big Kingfish, so I stayed inside of 250 for the most part. Good Luck on Saturday!

[Plastered2850]
    Thanks Neal - You are the inspiration for using a planer believe it or not. You always post that you start off with planers and usually pick up Kingfish - then Mahi etc... :grin
    remel1993 wrote: »
    Nice that you got some action. Planning to go out tomorrow for mahi, deep drop, then jigging. Not sure how this cold will affect the fishing, heard its a little slow now.

Remy - Weather should be nice tomorrow, it's warmed up. With the sun out it makes for perfect fishing weather this time of year.
    I might consider going back out tomorrow... haven't checked the weather yet today. Are you going south or north from PE ? Maybe I'll head that way if I go. I need some Rosies and Tiles. I haven't seen a closure yet this year for 'recreational' harvest of Golden Tiles, just commercial. Anyway, hope you have an epic day out there. You are the Jig-Master from what I've seen.

[ReelHazard] Looking forward to a good catch report!

Pura Vida!
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,864 Captain
    Glad to hear that the chill in the air didn't stop you from bending a rod.

Nice job spoon feeding the king
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 130 Officer
    Phenomenal info Flight Risk, thank you! Will be sure to report back
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Pecks Lake not holding the number of macks as in years past. Nasty Lake O discharges still having a negative impact on our fishery, so sad.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,950 Captain
    WTG Bill!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file