Any tips on post rut SC lowland hunt?

Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,395 Admiral
Heading back up Friday night, leaving at 11pm, should be there right at 530, going right into the stands and getting in an all day hunt Saturday, then a morning hunt Sunday before driving back. Probably my last hunt of the year and I want to make it productive.

Grunting? Rattling? Are they at all effective post rut? Or just a waste of time/energy? Was thinking of using a couple small bags of protein powder to bring em in hungry, but that's all i figured on bringing. Any advice is appreciated TIA.
People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 847 Officer
    Get someone to throw about 150 pounds of corn on Tuesday or Wednesday. That'll help you.

Otherwise, you just need your stand to be where the deer are. I hunted SC last year and saw deer most hunts.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 7,395 Admiral
    I wish! I don't think we need that much corn even. 50 pounds would do if put in the right spots. We see does most trips, but man, bucks just seem to like to feed and move at night only. Good weather at least, 60 for highs, 40 for lows and not much if any wind.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    To be honest it is hard to kill deer (much less big bucks) on a property that you only make 2 -3, 1.5 day trips to each season. You have to know the property and know where the deer are at this time of year. Can you not find property closer to home to hunt more often?

Grunting and light rattling may work. If you sit 4-5 hrs in one spot and see nothing, use middle of the day to scout, find buck sign and find a different spot for the afternoon and next morning hunts. Good luck.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    To be honest it is hard to kill deer (much less big bucks) on a property that you only make 2 -3, 1.5 day trips to each season. You have to know the property and know where the deer are at this time of year. Can you not find property closer to home to hunt more often?

Grunting and light rattling may work. If you sit 4-5 hrs in one spot and see nothing, use middle of the day to scout, find buck sign and find a different spot for the afternoon and next morning hunts. Good luck.

we have cameras, so we have a decent handle on where they're moving. And this is our 3rd year so i know what to expect from certain stands. But it's tough like you said to really get up there and hunt it enough. I've looked locally and TBH for the money it's hard to beat where i am. Just sucks, with the drive and all. Plus my son is still in High School. So it's hard to get away with him and not miss school.
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Soda,
    Been hunting SC for almost 10 years now. Post rut hunting is all about the food and as you know it really hasn't been very cold in the last few years up there. Normally after Thanksgiving we have only 2 weekends left to hunt so we try to shoot a doe or two then. Deer last week were not moving much at all in our area (not far from Estill) although we did kill two does and a 9 point. I have a friend who corns for us on Friday before we get there since we only hunt Saturday and Sunday then time to make the trip home.
    2013 Xpress H-18 115 Yamaha
    Camo'd out to hide from the fish better:cool:
    Soda,
    Been hunting SC for almost 10 years now. Post rut hunting is all about the food and as you know it really hasn't been very cold in the last few years up there. Normally after Thanksgiving we have only 2 weekends left to hunt so we try to shoot a doe or two then. Deer last week were not moving much at all in our area (not far from Estill) although we did kill two does and a 9 point. I have a friend who corns for us on Friday before we get there since we only hunt Saturday and Sunday then time to make the trip home.

That's what we're doing just don't have anyone to corn up. Guys were there last week and they threw some, but not much. But as I know where they corned, that's where they will be pawing the ground for scraps.
    Just talked to one of my lease mates, they corned up 3 stands last weekend when they were up there so we should be good.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 7,321 Admiral
    change your sit times after the rut to mid day mid morning...deer belly sets in after they start filling up at night and lay around and sleep in like a teenager..
    change your sit times after the rut to mid day mid morning...deer belly sets in after they start filling up at night and lay around and sleep in like a teenager..

The plan is to bring some snacks, and sit all day Saturday. Can't kill em from the hotel. We may move to a different stand but I highly doubt it. The stands we are going to sit are the ones that have been corned so no reason to switch.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,100 Captain
    Take a climber with you and don't hunt the 'stands'. Get away from them. Slip off on the down wind side of the patch/stand and hunt 50-100 yards away from it (corn) where the cover is thick(er). Bucks are moving - you just don't see them. They have to feed, they have to put weight back on (not nearly as critical as northern deer, though). A property I hunt the bucks will crawl into holes once the pressure gets too high. But they're realistically still moving they just skirt every patch and scent check them without ever stepping foot in them. Your shots doing this might be limited to 20-50 yards at best but I'd be willing to bet that you'd at least see a buck.
    I actually don't have a climber. But we've set up some pop up ground blinds, and i've got a small one i'm bringing. MIght pop it up and see if that helps as well. Definitely going to hunt the wind. We have 3 corned stands, and they are stationed at different spots on the property we could hunt the wind no matter which way it's blowing. And the one in the middle is a texas blind so it's pretty shielded.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 21,990 AG
    The plan is to bring some snacks, and sit all day Saturday. Can't kill em from the hotel. We may move to a different stand but I highly doubt it. The stands we are going to sit are the ones that have been corned so no reason to switch.

You are not camping?
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    You are not camping?

No. It's easier to go to the hotel than fiddle with the tent, sleeping bags, etc. plus the hotel is 7 miles closer than the camp grounds. and we never camp on the hunting property.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,364 Officer
    Are you on the river? The hardwood river bottoms are open enough to stalk thru with a rifle and see one feeding thru a couple hundred yards away.

I’ve had luck rattling up there post rut. But the rut is really when rattling is hot there.
    Not on the river, but there are some bottom areas they walk through we can stake out. we know the feeding areas they move through.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,100 Captain
    I actually don't have a climber. But we've set up some pop up ground blinds, and i've got a small one i'm bringing. MIght pop it up and see if that helps as well. Definitely going to hunt the wind. We have 3 corned stands, and they are stationed at different spots on the property we could hunt the wind no matter which way it's blowing. And the one in the middle is a texas blind so it's pretty shielded.

Ditch the ground blind. You’d be better off taking a gobbler lounger, or similar, and blinding yourself in or tucking into existing cover. Much better option than the sore thumb a ground blind would be being setup out of nowhere. Deer would be weary of it being setup now. You’d be better setting it up earlier in the season and letting them get used to it. I’ve killed a few and seen plenty of deer while sitting on the ground - actually enjoy it if I’m rifle hunting. Simple, quiet, and can be deadly at the right time and place.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    Are you going to be able to stay awake Saturday :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    I made this run November 1st as well, we hunted all day that Thursday no problem. Just have to pop a monster energy drink right around 230am when i'm inbetween Gainesville and Stark on 301 at the truck stop getting fuel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file