Best low recoil deer caliber??

2»

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 579 Officer
    I shoot a .260 Rem.... I would choose 25-06 or 243 if doing it again. The gun is a dream to shoot and has great knockdown power. The only the reason I would go 25-06 and then 243 if doing it again is cost and availability of rounds. .260 Rem ammo is not carried widely and the cost will limit the amount of shooting you want to do at the range - or it does for me.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,575 Captain
    Thanks to all! Now comes the hard part of figuring out what rifle to get!

How about a Browning x bolt hells canyon? Winchester model 70 featherweight? Remington model 700 or model 7?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,459 Admiral
    Big Mak wrote: »
    How about a Browning x bolt hells canyon? Winchester model 70 featherweight? Remington model 700 or model 7?

All good choices, but don't rule out a Tikka T3
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
    flydown wrote: »
    All good choices, but don't rule out a Tikka T3

Absolutely... There are others worth mentioning with a more attractive price point too... I, myself have recently been looking for a Browning hells canyon speed in 7mm-08 but haven't found one.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 11,958 AG
    Remington model 788 in .243. There are 2 in my family and kill deer dead as dead. 100 gr rem core lokt. end of story.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,809 Captain
    Fletch wrote: »
    Definite difference in recoil. The .270 is a necked down 30-06 springfield round. The .243 is a necked down .308 win.

Been shooting a .270 for years and love it but the gun (Ruger M77) is not without its issues. Accuracy tends to float around and I'm not crazy about the trigger pull. Recently, the extractor started leaving empty casings in the receiver and I had a short strike a few weeks back (was able to rack another round and got the deer though). There are some mods I can do to improve the gun and I will do that but in the meantime, I recently purchased a Browning X-Bolt hunter in 7MM-08. This is by far the most accurate gun I've ever shot right out of the box. Trigger pull is perfect and it shoots very tight groups with factory 139 grain Hornady SSTs. Love the short action compared to the .270 and everything about the gun just feels right.

If I were to step down a little more, it would be a tough pick between the 25-06 and the .243. Both are fine calibers. I have family members that have dusted a lot of deer with both.

A brother has a Savage Axis in 7mm-08. The fit and finish doesn't even compare to that on my x-bolt but I have to admit, it is a very accurate gun at a super affordable price point. I think he paid a little over $300 for it.

You really made some good choices. 7-08 in an x-bolt.

For what it’s worth, any of those older Ruger M77s are dicey in regards to accuracy. Some are good shooters but if you were playing the odds when they were made, you had a better chance of getting a Remington 700 that was a shooter out of the box than a M77.

I have an x-bolt in .30-06 just because it’s a classic caliber and I already had a Remington Mountain LSS in 7-08. If I were to choose any factory setup it would be an x-bolt in 7-08 though for FL

The long range shooters love the 6.5 but IMO the 7-08 is a better hunting cartridge.

If you’ve done a good break-in on your barrel, get all the copper out with some Barnes CR-10 and run some Barnes TTSX’s through it. My x-bolt loves them.
  • HaydenjbassHaydenjbass Posts: 62 Greenhorn

Does the x bolt hells canyom come left handed? I shoot lefty.
    Browning hit it out of the park with the X-Bolt, that's for sure.
    One of these days when my ship comes in I'll plunk down the grand for one.
    Does the x bolt hells canyom come left handed? I shoot lefty.

There are two versions of the Hells Canyon x bolt. I'm not sure about the hells canyon speed, but i think the hells canyon long range does. However, the barrel is 26 inches on the Long Range vs 22 inches on the Speed, if that matters. I personally don't need a 26 inch barrel rifle but all my shots are 400 yards or less. I still haven't found the H C speed in 7mm-08 and I've been looking daily whenever I have a free minute.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,290 Moderator
    TGunn wrote: »
    You really made some good choices. 7-08 in an x-bolt.

For what it’s worth, any of those older Ruger M77s are dicey in regards to accuracy. Some are good shooters but if you were playing the odds when they were made, you had a better chance of getting a Remington 700 that was a shooter out of the box than a M77.

I have an x-bolt in .30-06 just because it’s a classic caliber and I already had a Remington Mountain LSS in 7-08. If I were to choose any factory setup it would be an x-bolt in 7-08 though for FL

The long range shooters love the 6.5 but IMO the 7-08 is a better hunting cartridge.

If you’ve done a good break-in on your barrel, get all the copper out with some Barnes CR-10 and run some Barnes TTSX’s through it. My x-bolt loves them.

Thanks. I picked up some CR-10 last night. Will try those Barnes rounds on your recommendation. Grabbed a Leupold VX2 3x9x50 on sale at Bass Pro a few weeks back. Nothing super fancy but I think it matches up just fine. I wasn't as regimented as some but I think I did a pretty good break-in on the barrel. Picked up a lead sled on sale last week. Planning to dial her in a little more this weekend. I absolutely love shooting this thing.

My Pop bought an A-Bolt in 7MM-08 back in the mid to late 80s. He has an impressive collection of hunting rifles but always falls back to the Browning. He has dropped several whitetails in excess of 400 yards with that gun over the years. Browning definitely stepped it up with the X-Bolt. I have a friend with a Tikka T3 in .270. It's a fine looking and shooting gun but he couldn't keep his eyes off my Browning. I don't splurge on myself very often so I'm extra proud of this one.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
    There are two versions of the Hells Canyon x bolt. I'm not sure about the hells canyon speed, but i think the hells canyon long range does. However, the barrel is 26 inches on the Long Range vs 22 inches on the Speed, if that matters. I personally don't need a 26 inch barrel rifle but all my shots are 400 yards or less. I still haven't found the H C speed in 7mm-08 and I've been looking daily whenever I have a free minute.

I had some difficulty finding my X-Bolt Hunter in 7MM-08. Finally located one at LL Cote Sports Center in New Hampshire. Had it shipped to a local gun shop for a $25 transfer fee. They carry a lot of Browning product. Give them a call. They might surprise you. 800-287-7700

Listing is a few months old but here's one I found on a google search: http://www.armslist.com/posts/6899561/grand-rapids-michigan-rifles-for-sale--browning-hells-canyon-speed-bolt-7mm-08-nib
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."

TGunn wrote: »
    If you’ve done a good break-in on your barrel, get all the copper out with some Barnes CR-10

This is some impressive stuff. Barrel is whistle clean. Thanks for the recommendation.

Absolutely... There are others worth mentioning with a more attractive price point too... I, myself have recently been looking for a Browning hells canyon speed in 7mm-08 but haven't found one.

Here you go, BM. (wow, your initials made me chuckle~)

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/723951202
    Thanks Flydown! That seemed easy enough!
    Thanks Flydown! That seemed easy enough!

If you buy it for me I promise not to snicker at your initials.. Deal? :rotflmao:rotflmao
    Ha... I tried to bid on it but I'm having trouble from offshore.
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,809 Captain
    Fletch wrote: »
    I had some difficulty finding my X-Bolt Hunter in 7MM-08. Finally located one at LL Cote Sports Center in New Hampshire. Had it shipped to a local gun shop for a $25 transfer fee. They carry a lot of Browning product. Give them a call. They might surprise you. 800-287-7700

Listing is a few months old but here's one I found on a google search: http://www.armslist.com/posts/6899561/grand-rapids-michigan-rifles-for-sale--browning-hells-canyon-speed-bolt-7mm-08-nib

I recently purchased a Browning O/U 20ga from LL Cote. Small world. They're a hometown, mom and pop store.

Big Mak---better snatch that 7-08 HC while you can. If you want to give me your info I'll get it for you tonight on my gunbroker account.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file