Topwater Snookin on the Myakka

Launched the kayak at sunup both Saturday and Sunday morning from my house just south of the 41 bridge on the Myakka. Winds were calm, tide outgoing, with a low late morning. Minor solunar period starting around 8 on Saturday and a bit later on Sunday morning. Weapon of choice on Saturday was skitter walk SSW-11 in silver mullet, and on Sunday was the same, but in bone...

Totals: 3 snook (all dinks) on Saturday, and 6 on Sunday (biggest about 22). Lost many more that threw the hook, and probably had 2-3 dozen blow ups. Its awesome seeing a topwater bite. We need a good cold front to drive the bigger ones up the river, but it was a good couple of outings for mid November. Kind of hard to get quality photos in the yak, so don't usually take many. Anyhow, enjoy the pics... two small snook, and a beautiful sunrise.
Gypsies Call
SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
Old Town Predator Kayak

Replies

• NailerNailer Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Sweet!! sounds like fun.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Always a good day when you can fish.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 1,862 Captain
    Nice post. Thanks.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,638 Captain
    Gotta love the topwater hits. I'll take a few extra missed fish for the excitement of the blow ups and chases.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2017 Tarpon Count: 109/431
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 120 Deckhand
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Gotta love the topwater hits. I'll take a few extra missed fish for the excitement of the blow ups and chases.

You got that right Keith... when I'm not using live bait (in the summer), I'm about always throwing topwater... catching red's on them is a blast too!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file