The Pompano are moving south( slightly)

In 3 hours fishing I caught some really nice pomp’s and whiting today

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,743 Captain
    South is a relative word. What location please.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • RondoRondo Posts: 761 Officer
    South of what, zippo 0 from Ft.Pierce to Jupiter.
  • ontheedge5658ontheedge5658 Posts: 2,658 Officer
    Larry is based in Jacksonville
  • Big Sky DaveBig Sky Dave Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Rondo wrote: »
    South of what, zippo 0 from Ft.Pierce to Jupiter.

My experience as well.
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Larry is up in Jax. His daughter posts the reports and he/she doesn't respond. He is definitely the indicator as to when they come and go and his YouTube videos will increase your catch like they did for me. I live in Ormond by the Sea and will keep everyone here updated. In fact let's keep this thread going through New Years and update one another on the pompano run. My guess is this weekend's (12/8) cold front will have them moving south into my area and down towards the Cape.

Thanks for all the info Larry, we certainly appreciate it.
    Fished Playalinda with my son on last Saturday. We caught 4 Pompano 3 were above size limit and 5 Whiting. Water was 72 degrees
  • on deckon deck Posts: 647 Officer
    Fished Stuart beach yesterday from 3:30-5:00. Strong s current and funny cloudy water. One dink whiting one jack two cats....sucky. Clams. I have been finding them inshore on the flats but none on the beach yet. Maybe once this cold settles in.
    Fished Ormond by the Sea Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was thick with seaweed and small whiting. Sunday was much better conditions but on got 4 whiting including a nice bull. My neighbor got a 37" red on a red clam fish bite. No pomps to speak of. Hoping for Tuesday 12/12.
  • LUKEtheSPOOKLUKEtheSPOOK Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    i fish the stuart causeway & the hutchinson island beaches also. catching good numbers on the causeway but only shorts from the beaches. my Commercial buddies are catching TONS in the St. Lucie river but they won't tell me where! looking forward to the legal pomps showing up on the beach.
    i fish the stuart causeway & the hutchinson island beaches also. catching good numbers on the causeway but only shorts from the beaches. my Commercial buddies are catching TONS in the St. Lucie river but they won't tell me where! looking forward to the legal pomps showing up on the beach.
  • Mangrove magnetMangrove magnet Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I'm thinking about going to Playalinda tomorrow, just not sure about how strong the wind will be! Whenever I'm out surf fishing I tend to struggle with my line fouling up with sea weed almost every cast and the current pushing my bait in. I have a 9 foot rod, is that enough for surf fishing? I know the solution to my second problem is getting a heavier pyramid weight.
    Nothing from Middle Cove down to Stuart beach from what I hear, going to give Santa Lucia a shot in the am, **** poor year so far, was scoring good from September on last year. Fished with a commercial buddie 2 weeks ago and pulled 44 in the river, nothing from the beach yet.
    Mangrove 9' rod long enough. Try using the Sputnick weight
    6 pomps at Santa Lucia today, heard the bite was better at Stuart beach. By the way I fish 13 footers, fish are out pretty far.
    Fished at the end of my street again in Ormond on Tuesday 12/12. Caught 3 nice bull whiting. Tied my biggest one at 17". The others were 15". Caught a few more medium sized whiting, one short pompano and some blues. Had 3 cut offs, lost 3 sputniks which sucks but managed to snag one back on my last cast. I'm thinking the pompano run has passed south of my area. Will try again Saturday.
  • striperphilstriperphil Posts: 51 Deckhand
    I don't know Larry, but I've seen his posts for years. Like someone said he won't answer your questions or comment on other posts. I don't think he's much of a computer guy, but I would love to spend a day fishing with this guy. I love pomps, but unfortunately I suck at catching them. Larry pretty much catches them every day of the dang year. He's definitely the pompano king of Florida.
  • tesilentialtesilential Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Holy smokes I've seen this guy give a sheepshead/fiddler crap seminar at the Florida sportsman expo a couple years back. Guy was cooler than clams and funny to boot
    awesome pompano action on the stuart causeway this morning! just before and after high tide was a feeding frenzy but they're steadily picking them off all day so far.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Holy smokes I've seen this guy give a sheepshead/fiddler crap seminar at the Florida sportsman expo a couple years back. Guy was cooler than clams and funny to boot

He is a legend for sure, won many tournaments and runs a nice seafood retail store(mostly fish he caught!)

His youtube videos are funny too!
  • on deckon deck Posts: 647 Officer
    Been finding them inside st lucie inlet on the tide changes. Not great numbers but enough for a couple dinners. Still nothing on the beaches for me yet.
    I fished 12/24 in Ormond by the Sea. Got 7 pompano; 4 solid keepers. 10 whiting; 6 nice bulls up to 16". Sharks and lots of snapper blues. The trick to the Pomps was to keep my rigs within 10' of the shorebreak. Belated merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah to every one.
    Fished OBS again 12/26. Started at the top of the tide and the whiting bite was on fire. Took home 9 nice ones, mostly "bull" whiting around 14-15"er's. One 14" pompano, thick with an attitude when I was reeling it in, thought for sure it was a bluefish.
    Thanks for the report One Drop. My son is going to Playalinda tomorrow. I'll post a report on Friday.
    Well looks like this first front of 2018 will blow the pompano south of us until mid March. I fished 12/30 and 12/31 and nothing but small whiting. Weather was nice but the water was coffee. Time to hit the backcountry and flats for winter redfish and seatrout. I'll surf fish here and there with my daughter to enjoy the beach but I don't think pomps will be back until spring with the exception of a few solo cruisers coming through. One side note about that. A tourist from New Hampshire was fishing my beach last February, freezing his butt off he said but he shows me a picture of a permit he claims he caught and it was a legit 6 or 7lb pompano. I mean I couldn't tell how big it was from the picture but it was freaking huge, way bigger than my biggest pomp at 5lbs. So you never know and that's the best part of fishing in paradise.
  • chicochico Posts: 492 Deckhand
    Pomps are off the Boca Grande beaches.
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Been doing really well in Indian river . Find a flat with some nice drops and bait. Catching on doa shrimp and bait busters. Big jacks and all the pomps were over 5lbs.
    Looked up bait busters. There sure are a lot of colors! What colors work for pomps? How do you fish them? Thanks
  • fordmag84fordmag84 Posts: 39 Greenhorn

Hearing reports of pomps on the Palma Sola Bay flats in Bradenton.

Tried Seagrape Beach Feb 5 afternoon up to an past high tide with fish bites. Zilch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file