Tis the season: Best deal on Electric/propane smoker?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
Hello my fellow foodies!
Every year around this time I usually see deals on smokers online and at basspro, but I usually look the other way because I am cheap. I think this year I am going to bite the bullet and try to find a good deal. So post up any that you come across this holiday season, because I am sure I wouldn't be the only one to benefit from such knowledge!
:beer
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    Charcoal, propane, electric or pellet? So electric probably the Masterbuilts. I converted a charcoal vertical to propane but many propane ones can be cheaply built.

How big?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,253 Moderator
    I don't know how big exactly: I'm not trying to smoke a thanksgiving turkey, but big enough to smoke a couple pounds of kingfish fillets.
    I like the idea of a propane unit since it would probably be the same tank as my bbq, but electric would probably give me most precise temperature and timing. I think I'll skip the charcoal unit, even though that's probably the cheapest.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I don't know how big exactly: I'm not trying to smoke a thanksgiving turkey, but big enough to smoke a couple pounds of kingfish fillets.
    I like the idea of a propane unit since it would probably be the same tank as my bbq, but electric would probably give me most precise temperature and timing. I think I'll skip the charcoal unit, even though that's probably the cheapest.

This is my conversion, runs off the standard 20 lb tank. We do smoked fish quite a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash, is 30" good enough? Seems like it?
    I see a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite (the one with the viewing window) 30" electric smoker on Bass Pro's Black Friday listing for $180, but the non-elite model in that size is $170 at regular price on Home Depot's website.

Then again, I see regularly priced propane smokers are not a bad deal after all:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-Charcoal-and-Propane-Dual-Fuel-Smoker-20050412/202904343

Do you think I can find something good at the $100 mark on Black Friday?
    Well as to the size, how many people involved is one thing you need to ask. Mine is probably only 20 inch racks and something like ribs, i have to cut in two. I would think the 30" would be fine. As to the window, if you don't mind cleaning it after every smoke, get it, but it is more a gimmick that practical. One thing to really check is the gauge of the metal. My propane setup above was an old charcoal Great Outdoor Smoky Mountain and one HEAVY smoker. Takes a bit for me to move it. Now the new ones are a much lesser gauge and will not last near as long. So make sure you have a sturdy build before you buy anything without seeing it.
    I would keep an eye out on Black Friday. Season is winding down and you just might find a deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Garza BlancaGarza Blanca Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    I just got this:https://www.hayneedle.com/product/smokehollow40indigitalelectricsmokerwithstand.cfm. I replaced my master built with it. I've only used it a couple of times but so far everything about it is more impressive than the master built starting with the construction. I was going to replace my master built with another one but the construction on the newer models seemed cheaper than the old one. It also has two elements, one for cold smoke,
    80-125 deg, and hot smoke 150-275. I checked the temp probe with my Taylor thermometer and it was spot on. I was reluctant to buy it because I don't like to buy anything without physically checking it out but was really impressed when I got it.
    I just got this:https://www.hayneedle.com/product/smokehollow40indigitalelectricsmokerwithstand.cfm. I replaced my master built with it. I've only used it a couple of times but so far everything about it is more impressive than the master built starting with the construction. I was going to replace my master built with another one but the construction on the newer models seemed cheaper than the old one. It also has two elements, one for cold smoke,
    80-125 deg, and hot smoke 150-275. I checked the temp probe with my Taylor thermometer and it was spot on. I was reluctant to buy it because I don't like to buy anything without physically checking it out but was really impressed when I got it.

Wow, that's fancy. Also a bit more than I was going to spend, but good to know the masterbuilts are not all they're cracked up to be.
    You can probably find it cheaper thru Amazon or eBay. Also you might want to look at the Pellet smokers too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• John-1948John-1948 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    I had a top of the line Bradley electric for several years
    until it just plain wore out. gave it to a much deserving neighbor.
    I ordered a Masterbuilt 30" electric Smokehouse the other day and am waiting here
    peering out my window all day for the FedEx truck to come rolling up and deliver it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Masterbuilt-30-Electric-Smokehouse/7811422

whatever you get - be sure to smoke it a couple of days on different settings to season it
    and become comfortable with the settings prior to actual use.

oh - and don't get one with a glass door..... it will quickly become opaque with soot.
    and besides, who sits around looking at meat being smoked anyway ??

UPDATE: This smoker is everything the manufacturer said it is.
    accurate temp control is right on.
    I bypass the little chute that holds only a handful of chips
    and pull out the tray and put the chips directly in the pan over the burner.

very good quality - very satisfied

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file