Micro Wave guides

I'm building a 13'-6" Lamiglas surf rod and was wondering about using the Mirco Wave guides from American Tackle Co. Has anyone used these? If so is there any specific placement specs or can I use a concept system. Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    Ordinary Fuji guides will serve you far better over time... This from a guy that’s
    been building rods since 1971.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • rysherrysher Posts: 353 Deckhand
    microwave comes with placement guide.
    i am not a fan.
    based on real world "scientific" experiments with a group of builders, there is nothing gained compared to a well laid out NGC.
    during testing, they compare the microwave against a COF guide placement and not NGC.
    the problem with NGC is alot of builders dont fully understand the science/concept behind it.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    If you've been building and repairing rods for a lot of years (built my first rod in 1971...) you got to see more than a few new components that were heavily touted (by whoever was paid to tout them...). Some of that gear (graphite blanks, Fuji guides) was not only first rate but has been in hard service everywhere for years. Other items very quickly became curiosities and never caught on at all... I might be wrong but that's why I gave the advice I did about those "microwave" guides. They might work just fine - but you'll generally go a few years before a rod starts needing replacement guides - and if they're "no longer available" - then you're pretty much up a creek...

When I started building rods fiberglass was all that was available - things have sure changed since then but the stuff that did well has been around for years and years (long enough that manufacturers have long been into the "new and improved" mode - but the basics are still around and going strong... Nowadays manufacturers are touting "carbon fiber" blanks -which aren't one bit different than what we've been calling graphite for all these years (except for the price...) but I digress.

Hope this helps - I have pretty strong opinions - but most of them were learned the hard way. I build every rod (except fly rods) that I hand an angler on my skiff during a charter (and keep eight rods aboard each day - and the ones in use each day are specific to what we're up for - that changes from day to day...). When someone breaks a rod - I build a new one (or replace a guide - whatever is needed) so I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't... I'm betting that most clerks in tackle stores have little knowledge of what they're selling at all....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • SouthForkSouthFork Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Hey thanks guys, I'll stick to the Fuji guides.
  • ReelthiefReelthief Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Built two rods with them and both did what they were supposed to do. Built quite a few with the concept system (mostly for other people) which worked well. For my personal rods I tend to keep it simple with cof setups with a good quality Fuji guide. There are so many options out there to choose from. Back in the day it was either the green ring Fuji or wire Aetna foulproofs (which casted pretty **** good). Braided line changed the game with guides. Bob is right in reference to replacement guides. Could mean the difference between a replacement guide or a re-wrap. I would personally do cof with fuji alconites on a surf rod but that's just my preference. Tight lines
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,194 Captain
    I took one look at a Microwave guide and concluded they put a guide foot on a Zebco nose cone. Every thing old is new again. :wink
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,129 Officer
    I have a store bought rod with Microwave guides and it casts just fine not any further than regular guides though. I'm a light is better nut so I use Minima guides on my built rods.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file