Mako 224 renovations

I love fishing my Mako out in in the gulf. Have had her for 6 years now. Re-powered last year with a new Suzuki 250 and added a swim platform, live-well/LP and electronics. The one thing that stood out as needing correction was the aft boxes. They came up short of your knee and kept you from the edge of the boat an they where wet storage and always contained water in. Been wanting to remove for a while.

Thought I would share the process.

The first cut took 6 years but got it done. Now its time to start planning the rebuild.

SMaBCMBl.jpg

PpajUsll.jpg

tqGv7pPl.jpg

TquReksl.jpg

vWbCZ6wl.jpg

Dw72uBQl.jpg

xwpehsSl.jpg

Three trash bags of foam and remains of the boxes- Removed about 50 lbs from the boat
hX8Pjzml.jpg

Will keep this updated with the finish work as it progresses.

Replies

• drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,151 Officer
    Looking forward to seeing the completion. What year is your boat?
    My family has a 1984 254 Mako that is still going strong and is on the fifth set of engines..........
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,858 Moderator
    Can't wait to see the finished product, will be quite the improvement.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Posts: 6,735 Admiral
    Good luck with the renovations!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 416 Deckhand
    drgibby wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the completion. What year is your boat?
    My family has a 1984 254 Mako that is still going strong and is on the fifth set of engines..........

This one is a 1984. Was a friend of mines dad in HS and fished on it many times. Had a chance to buy her back in 2011. Addicted to the way it fishes for a 22'10" boat. Easy to operate, efficient and raises fish.

i gain 2.5-sq ft per side with them gone. The 25 gal in floor live-well (Disconnected) wil be my wet storage
    They're closing your boat ramp in December! There's one other one I know of on that chain of lakes but it will be overrun now.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I saw that. I have one in my neighborhood so I am good but Clermont is going to get some back lash from closing the ramp. Prime real-estate I guess always wins. My Larger mako does not fit under the bridges with the water up. I have also redone a '77 Mako 15 that I cruise to the tiki bar in.
    That ramp got so overcrowded with the jet ski drunks and the A-holes who would cut right in front of you to be first we stopped going. I run to Hickory point and put in there, and run the north lake chain now. More to see and do. And that ramp is never busy.
  • anglingarchitectanglingarchitect Posts: 1,480 Officer
    visit "Classic Mako" it's a wealth of good information for all kinds of mods.The people are real friendly and knowledgable also, good stuff.
    I redid my 76 23 Mako a couple of times and still own it.
    rent my beach house
    I am very active over there as well. Spent hours yesterday grinding and cleaning edges. My coosa has not arrived for the floor rebuid so I am making some molds for the corners fro a clean look. Hoping a few more weekends and I will be back out for the Grouper bite.
    Floor template made. Will use this to trim coosa. Getting closer to figuring out a plan. This is set below the lip to accommodate the glass and 1/2" coosa.

hf9wrdpl.jpg

Got some more work in this weekend and had some help from Jeff D...AKA Child Sea-Port. Was nice to use the Garage

Foam leveled and glassed. Putty made and Coosa laid up.

On top of the coosa I have got one layer of mat, 1 layer 1708, 1 layer of core mat and one more layer of mat on the port side. Starboard is ready for glass build up.

X6YxfCal.jpg

E37lrdll.jpg

KSZmBjAl.jpg

2M3A5zKl.jpg

getting closer
    CPgJZXCl.jpg

wnHYNK4l.jpg
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 2,659 Captain
    Good plan!
    Looks great!
    God, save the South!
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,151 Officer
    Coming along nicely!
    Well the lip that I originally left below the cleats has been removed. With that I had to take out the flimsy wall that was in there do to the slope it had.

Looking Aft
    lfeNfvQl.jpg

Looking through the box to the front. In this picture you can see the foam that was exposed when I removed the wall. It was in good shape with some moisture at the bottom

C5CqusEl.jpg

Rebuilding with Coosa 26
    pcz74QZl.jpg

3 pieces formed and puttied in place. Little messy and will need to clean. I changed the floor angle so I filled the seem with new foam. Then I trimmed and spread some chopped fibers and glass bubbles to a smooth finish
    kA5gXdkl.jpg

Backside glassed around the seems. Will go back and sand then add glass across all of it. This will be a lot more supportive in the corner then before. I will have to remove some more of the knee wall to make the lines a little better. Most of the knee may stay as the section is very much a structural point.

Sdzk7R0l.jpg

Got the Starboard aft section cut out.
    VFRVulhl.jpg

Rebuild
    LHEcRbPl.jpg

Spent some time working on fuel line coffin
    From this
    r0C27TMl.jpg

to first pass
    ip1NoD7l.jpg

Cleaned up a little. Snapped this for fishing space
    fMuiBTIl.jpg

Lamp acting as LED's...LOL
    9VFSvFvl.jpg

Spent a lot of time the past couple of days working on little things. Lots of sanding and filleting. Will work on some glass tomorrow afternoon as the fog and dew was thick this morning and will be again tomorrow.
    Aft Boxes finished on the inside with Glass. Seams have two layers of 1708 and CSM. 1st coat of gel is on.
    zZFH9i0l.jpg

Starboard side is close. first skim coat of thickened gel is on. Will sand off and redo to level out the area. you can see I added 1/2" divinycell board to the gunnel wall for some protection of sliding coolers and to stiffen up the gunnels. She is very stiff now. Rough stage but she is taking shape. will be nice with the bolster pads around this area. any one use the Seadeck bolster pads? Curious how those thinner ones worked.
    56cTpa2l.jpg

Here is the port side. I went a little crazy with the grinder and now I have to rebuild the lip for the floor drain. I used 1/4" scored divinycell and then thicken resin with cobosil to for the lip. This was covered with CSM and 1708. will update the trim next time
    RmGJAZTl.jpg

One mistake I made was not covering the floor properly. Now I have to sand and redo non-skid when all doen due to resin spots.
    Great job, a very nice improvement. Not a big fan of the SeaDeck bolsters, kinda thin and firm, after a long day they don't even feel cushiony.
    Current state
    Starboard side 2nd coat and now sanded with 80 grit. I will go bag and sand again then skim one more time.

YpjZ3Tgl.jpg

Port Side light skim coat and sanded once. Still need to clean up gutter drain with over glass
    F6YACQIl.jpg

Since I removed the cleats from the aft box area I added some pull up cleats on the aft ends. Mounted with a backing plate

TIug6WRl.jpg

BXeXEhpl.jpg

Went to Marine connections looking for a set of colming pads but came up empty. . Did sneak a hockey game in with two of my kids this week.

mqogYiOl.jpg
    Wow!

Pop up cleats are really nice!
    God, save the South!
    Took her out on the lake Sunday before the blow. It provides me motivation to finish
    RnrNBLul.jpg

Got some more work in on the fairing and sanding. The drain lip has taken a while to get right. If i was to do something different I would have just filled it in.
    JozTbGbl.jpg

Fiprt1Xl.jpg

I am really liking the space.
    gvNPFJWl.jpg
    Got some work done in the cold today. Worked on the drain gutter
    From here
    RmGJAZTl.jpg

to today. I used a small 1/2" paint brush to work on the radius and some other areas. Not to bad but did have some brush marks. Prep:
    YMp28fGl.jpg

KZ2POa8l.jpg

Xlcifqol.jpg

This is hit with 400,800,1000. not waxed yet as I have to hit it with 180 and touch up some areas.

SjNpAC4l.jpg

Mate Series Rod/cup holders added
    t9shcItl.jpg

In between drying time and football.
    grabbed a couple of these guys on 4lb test
    zwIrmy5l.jpg

Starboard side also has second coat on it for the pin holes. This was not sanded today but most will come off. Man my finger tips are raw from the sanding

yvvecQEl.jpg

I have received in my adtec P-14 filler, Duratec surface primer and Duratec Hi-gloss additive
  • Geno67Geno67 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Looking good.
    Well the weather here is about to turn south. 3 days below 40...[:D] So not much work to be done. I did lay some gel coat yesterday with duratec additive. It was mixed 70/30 and was watery. I ended up adding some glass bubbles to get some consistency. I worked on the port side a little. None of these pictures have any sanding. Again some brush marks and some surface prep areas not perfect. I will sand these areas with 180 then do the final coats with a spray gun. The halogen light makes the wet gel-coat look a little yellowish. It will dry to match the gutter.

5OiCRXdl.jpg

tafQffBl.jpg

vEGsWCUl.jpg

Made a daisy chain and have supplies for 3 more in different patterns. Will add them to my trolling spread this year on a tag line off the outrigger.
    kOsMB0Xl.jpg

I realized how bad the regulations have gotten not by fishing but by reading the magazine articles. Have we come to this as a seafood dish?
    SaMQVNbl.jpg
    Definitely not kick weather. Looking good Bro.
  • surfmansurfman Posts: 3,496 Captain
    Wow, that is a terrible design, looks like a great improvement for sure. Nice job, keep up the good work.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
    edited February 11 #25

Moved the Lumitec lights off the knee and put under the gunnel. These are white/Blue dimimable lights. I have a blue 40" blue LED light coming for under the gunnel

Ok so what changed with the picture codes?

• jbdba01jbdba01 Posts: 118 Deckhand

Does seem odd as [img] is standard html...looks like the new forum uses Markdown. Never used it. So this failed.

[img]http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n554/jbdba01/Capture4_zpskzbuobdz.jpg[/img]

Try ![Image] followed by (, the url for the image, and then) - or use the tool for the thread editor.

Sample

Quite odd.

Looking good Mako. Nice to see things coming together.

• ericfericf Posts: 429 Deckhand

Awesome, will be some nice standing space leaned against the gunnel.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,691 Admin

Way to jump in....making a good boat better. A dreamboat.

Yessir!
    Nice deck space!

God, save the South!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file