Choko S turn gps track

Is there anywhere that lists the s turn waypoints or tracks out of choko. Haven't gone out of outdoor resorts before but will need to in a few weeks. I am sure some has changed with Irma. Thank you.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,696 Captain
    Hope someone can steer you right — but the good news is that the route hadn’t changed one bit after the storm. In fact I saw so little damage (other than flood damage) that I was surprised when I scouted that area after Irma (see the report I filed about two weeks ago.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,658 Captain
    Some of them cuts are 20 ft' wide leaving ODResorts. Time a GPS said turn, your grinding oysters.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Invest in FMT chip. FMT has all tracks pre loaded. Will completely change the way you fish 10k islands
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 508 Officer
    Invest in FMT chip. FMT has all tracks pre loaded. Will completely change the way you fish 10k islands

This^^^^^^^
    Jason :USA
  • F M TF M T Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    IMG_1766_2.jpg
    IMG_1767_2.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1769_2.jpg
    IMG_1770_2.jpg
  • JPizzleJPizzle Posts: 241 Officer
    I have the Lowrance Elite 7 which doesn't have aerial pictures. Is this going to provide enough detail to be worth it. I have looked at your product but haven't seen it on a more basic gps. Thanks.
    JPizzle wrote: »
    I have the Lowrance Elite 7 which doesn't have aerial pictures. Is this going to provide enough detail to be worth it. I have looked at your product but haven't seen it on a more basic gps. Thanks.

Elite Ti will run imagery.
    The Regular Elite 7 like what you have used to run FMT but after the update about a year ago it doesn't have the horsepower to boot the data. The most recent FMT update would surely not work as the data set for 1/2 of FL is now about 30 gb. You are out of luck trying to get any precision insight on your boat running the lower end gps units. Even if you could get it to boot with an older chip, the software in that machine is so antiquated that it does not allow you to turn off any map layers so everything is ON all of the time which would render FMT pretty useless for many areas. If you were running in an area that was a manatee zone, in a State Park near a Military base, in an idle area, etc etc., all of the layers showing would have the screen way too cluttered to easily read.
    JPizzle wrote: »
    Is this going to provide enough detail to be worth it..

The detail is awesome. The ability to scout areas and not even move the boat is great.... I have had zero issues if i just follow the tracks..Im very much a newbie to the 10K islands area and am completely confident in the product...I have explored all kinds of areas.
  • Richard33Richard33 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    I use the navionics app which works well.
  • FlydrifterFlydrifter Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Having used the Navionics App the last few years, I finally bit the bullet, bought FMT, there’s no comparison if you want to run shallow water. Makes a pro out of an Okie.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 930 Officer
    Richard33 wrote: »
    I use the navionics app which works well.

What is your definition of "works well"? The photos are many years old and horrible quality, the markers are all off and most all of the local markers are totally missing. Not sure how you can conclude it "works well" if you can't navigate with it unless you are running in deep water and primary marked channels.

If the track wasn't in your machine already, there is no way you could figure out the S turn at Choko with Navionics let alone try to successfully negotiate it or even see exactly where it is for that matter. You surely wont find any markers for it on that. It's pretty close to a total fail at Choko and the Everglades overall and so many other areas too. You can see where water is and where land is and that is about it. You are on your own running it and its pretty much useless for knowing where to go and where not to go in any challenging area. A basic general guide at best. That is just the sad truth of that product much to the chagrin of the paid TV endorsers and employees who try to defend the indefensible.

The photos don't lie and neither do the thousands of inaccurate and missing vector features. There is a reason you will never see any navionics ads or promotional posts showing Choko photos. Instead you will see only deep channel inlets at major passes with depth contours at 10' and deeper.
  • Strike IIIStrike III Posts: 40 Deckhand
    I'm thinking about upgrading my GPS/Sonar combo unit on my boat and would like to get a unit that will work with FMT software. Can you folks give me a couple of recommendations on units priced on the lower end and some mid-level priced units? This will be going on a Gheenoe so I'd prefer a combo unit that is on the compact side. I fish very shallow water in NE and SW Florida so the sonar function doesn't need all the bells and whistles. Thanks.
    "Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."
    -- James Madison
  • jqmustangjqmustang Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Email Greg at FMT, they are great about getting back to customers.
    info@floridamarinetracks.com

I bought the lowrance hds9 used on the leg-go app. I low balled the guy and got it for $450. I originally wanted to get the simrad go7 but Greg said that the chip didn't work great on 7" screens.

The chip is great! I went to chokoluskee two weeks ago for the first time. It was a negative winter tide and a 15-20 knot ne wind. There was basically no water out there. Thank God for the chip, it was scary out there. There is a small learning curve to it but its great!
    I have the simrad go7 and imagery is superb? And yes the FMT is awesome in the 10K islands!
  • MercuryproteamMercuryproteam Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    I have a GO7 and FMT. Imagery is awesome. FMT is the way to go. Glad I purchased it prior to going to the 10k.
    Strike III wrote: »
    I'm thinking about upgrading my GPS/Sonar combo unit on my boat and would like to get a unit that will work with FMT software. Can you folks give me a couple of recommendations on units priced on the lower end and some mid-level priced units? This will be going on a Gheenoe so I'd prefer a combo unit that is on the compact side. I fish very shallow water in NE and SW Florida so the sonar function doesn't need all the bells and whistles. Thanks.

Elite-7 TI, No Xcdr
    Elite-7 Ti, MFG# 000-12416-001, w/ 7" single-touch LCD. 50/83/200 KHz Broadband, Lo/Mid/Hi CHIRP, and StructureScan sonar. GPS/plotter w/ Navionics Basemap, WiFi, Bluetooth. Transducer sold separately. $649

ELITE-9 TI, MFG# 000-13272-001, Touchscreen Plotter/Sounder w/ 9" LCD. Built-in CHIRP/StructureScan/DownScan Sonar, and internal GPS with Basemap. Optional Insight and C-Map charts. Transducer sold separately. $849

HDS-7 Carbon MFD, MFG# 000-13674-001, SolarMax 7" Multi-touch LCD, dual channel CHIRP Sonar, WiFi, internal GPS with Insight basemap. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, StructureScan module. Transducer sold separately $1,249

Simrad NSS7 evo2, MFG# 000-11184-001, 7" Widescreen Multi-touch Mulit-Function Display w/ internal GPS and built-in Broadband/CHIRP/StructureScan Sonar. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, WiFi. Preloaded Insight maps, optional Navionics, C-Map Charts. $999

NSS9 evo2D, MFG# 000-11190-001, 9" Widescreen Multi-touch Mulit-Function Display w/ internal GPS and built-in Broadband/CHIRP/StructureScan Sonar. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, WiFi. Preloaded Insight maps, optional Navionics, C-Map Charts. $1,699
  • Strike IIIStrike III Posts: 40 Deckhand
    Thanks all for the info! I've fished Choko for many years on the outside but would like to venture into the back country
    more.....this will definitely give me a bit more confidence.
    "Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government."
    -- James Madison
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 586 Officer
    That seems pretty similar
    Put in your 906 chip and zoom into about 200 feet on a unit and instead of what you posted which won’t run on a GPS unit, this is that you really get for the Choko S. Curve with a brand new $399 Navionics Chip. If you find this similar as well, god bless. Good luck trying to figure out how to run the S curve at 6am with either the tablet data you posted or the 906 chip. When the FMT app comes out soon, using the Navionics phone app to compare to it will be very interesting to see. Until then, if you really want an apples to apples comparison, this is what you really get. If you try to cover the problems with the navionics chips with the Microsoft Imagery which you cant get on a chart plotter it's a specious analysis and the vector features still have a long way to go. In this immediate vicinity there are dozens of missing and inaccurate markers, posts, signs and stakes on the Navionics chip and in the photo you posted from the app there are two missing markers right at that spot within that picture.
    IMG_2057.jpg
    Navionics New 906 chip
    IMG_2058.jpg
    FMT
    IMG_2059.jpg
    Navionics New 906 Chip
    IMG_2060.jpg
    FMT
  • MercuryproteamMercuryproteam Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Glenn your product speaks for itself. I was hesitant to spend the money for your chip, but it was cheaper than the deductible on my insurance plan if i banged up a gearcase. Money well spent for exploring the glades with confidence.
  • vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 21 Greenhorn

@F M T said:
    Strike III wrote: »

Elite-7 TI, No Xcdr
    Elite-7 Ti, MFG# 000-12416-001, w/ 7" single-touch LCD. 50/83/200 KHz Broadband, Lo/Mid/Hi CHIRP, and StructureScan sonar. GPS/plotter w/ Navionics Basemap, WiFi, Bluetooth. Transducer sold separately. $649

ELITE-9 TI, MFG# 000-13272-001, Touchscreen Plotter/Sounder w/ 9" LCD. Built-in CHIRP/StructureScan/DownScan Sonar, and internal GPS with Basemap. Optional Insight and C-Map charts. Transducer sold separately. $849

HDS-7 Carbon MFD, MFG# 000-13674-001, SolarMax 7" Multi-touch LCD, dual channel CHIRP Sonar, WiFi, internal GPS with Insight basemap. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, StructureScan module. Transducer sold separately $1,249

Simrad NSS7 evo2, MFG# 000-11184-001, 7" Widescreen Multi-touch Mulit-Function Display w/ internal GPS and built-in Broadband/CHIRP/StructureScan Sonar. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, WiFi. Preloaded Insight maps, optional Navionics, C-Map Charts. $999

NSS9 evo2D, MFG# 000-11190-001, 9" Widescreen Multi-touch Mulit-Function Display w/ internal GPS and built-in Broadband/CHIRP/StructureScan Sonar. Optional Radar, AIS, Sat WX/Audio, WiFi. Preloaded Insight maps, optional Navionics, C-Map Charts. $1,699

Wow these maps look great!!! Please excuse my ignorance but will this chip work on a Garmin ecomap 74sv??

FMT runs on Navico units. Garmin's policy is to only support their own maps.

• vs-MA21vs-MA21 Posts: 21 Greenhorn

@Egrets Landing said:
    FMT runs on Navico units. Garmin's policy is to only support their own maps.

Well that sucks.

Sentiment like that is expressed on a daily basis but those who make the machines make the rules on what maps will run on them. Obviously, there is some reason or logic for this Garmin mapping limitation. You will have to ask them about it if you are inclined to try to understand it better.

It would appear that Navico took the exact opposite approach to mapping. The more maps the better over there.

Regardless of your preference in units, if you are boating person and like GPS, there is nothing not to like about more map options and everything to dislike about no map options. So, I feel your pain as do all of the former Garmin users who were also unhappy with this policy and switched platforms just so they can run the map they want.

• smallblock342smallblock342 Posts: 22 Greenhorn

Question about simrad to Egrets Landing....I know your a simrad guy. If i wanted to could i run FMT chip and navionics chip side by side at once on an evo 2???

With that unit you could run any two chips you want that are supported by Navico side by side.

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 565 Officer

Camped out during last week's full moon................
    Very negative low, were talking 1.5 feet below low tide. A wind driven low.
    I saw more sand bars than I've ever seen.
    There were times I wasn't looking on FMT screen and ran aground--skipper error.
    However, FMT performed very well.
    The "S" turn didn't have enough water for me to get through on plane.
    But lifting the engine floated us through.

FMT very highly recommended, when navigating very shallow environments.

Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Knot LeftKnot Left Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    edited February 9 #29

@Flatwater witch said:

Does your chip have the s turn on it? I am not sure its on mine.

@Knot Left said:

@Flatwater witch said:

Does your chip have the s turn on it? I am not sure its on mine.

If you have an older chip, it may not be on. The more recent releases definitely have it on. I believe it is Black as it is too skinny on a a negative low for most typical boats. If you want to update your chip to get it along with lots of other black Choko tracks that were added over the last couple of months and routinely run by locals let us know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file