Not as big.........but still a pile of work!!!

Hard to believe but the water in Lake George was actually up by about 6 inches from where it was on last Friday. And the feted smell emanating from the swamps is just as bad. And it got hot fast!

Only good part of the high water as far as gator chasing goes is that we were able to run the boat in places normally restricted to airboats and kayaks. Which of course does not mean that we could chase them the other HUNDRED YARDS up into the trees where the water will let them go now.

Still managed to pull one out. Not as big as the one last week, 11' 6" and close to 400. What he lacked in overall size he made up for in athleticism.

After losing one that was bigger due to Mike's slow reflexes ( As I am writing the report HE gets the blame:wink ) we got a hook into this one right against the trees on the inside of the dollar-pads and grass. Fortunately he decided to go out into the lake instead of up into the trees with the squirrels.

Not that we did not expect to lose him as he bulled his way through the pads and grass. As expected soon as the trolling motor hit the pads it locked up leaving us to fire the big motor and push on until it overheated......which was way before we got through them.

That left us in the pads with the gator still pulling 80# test off the fast shrinking spool. Pulled both motors up, thumbed the spool hard and held on as Mike pulled trash from the line.

To make a long story short we ended up a good 200 yards on the lake side of the pads/grass before he went to ground. About 400 yards from where we started.

Rest was easy.......comparatively.

Replies

• toomertoomer Posts: 308 Deckhand
    What a great feat to land that beast! That hide looks beautiful.
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,110 Officer
    Too Cool! Ben do you open carry when you do that...just in case "it" hits the fan?
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Nice one, what happened to your wife. Did she finally get tired of pulling those big gators in the boat?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,786 Admiral
    Pangaman wrote: »
    Nice one, what happened to your wife. Did she finally get tired of pulling those big gators in the boat?

No.......she loves the whole thing. On this particular day she was at the farm putting corn out in a couple of places, checking/repairing one of her stands, setting out game cams and pulling some wire traps she'd set in the creeks so had a full plate.
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,103 Officer
    Watcha' ya trappin'?
    Ladder Man wrote: »
    Watcha' ya trappin'?

We're in the third year of a spotted turtle study in conjunction with the FWC at the farm. We catch a lot of other interesting things too. Using modified crab traps and eel traps of our own along with some the FWC had purpose made.

We've 8 with transmitters on them now that the FWC has taught us how to track. They've also got us set up with the equipment to do it and have instructed us in what information to record. We do it about half the time, the FWC biologist gets it when we can not.

I attached a picture or two.............
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 886 Officer
    very cool!!
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,413 Officer
    Nice work work "Grand Master"
  • 79507950 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    :hail:hail:hail:hail
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,103 Officer
    Neat, never seen a spotted turtle before.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Mrs Luann trapesin' around in the creeks pulling traps, but still makes sure to paint her toenails....:hail Love it !!

Just like my wife....she'll follow along about anywhere I'll drag her...but the nails and toes gotta be done !!!
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    Mrs Luann trapesin' around in the creeks pulling traps, but still makes sure to paint her toenails....:hail Love it !!

Just like my wife....she'll follow along about anywhere I'll drag her...but the nails and toes gotta be done !!!

I'm with you, haven't figured it out myself, even after near on 38 years. And how she wears boots without socks I will NEVER understand!!!!

But as you say......if they will go WITH US......and enjoy it.......which makes it better for us.......she can do just about any darn thing she wants!!!
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Yessir.....37 years here....:hail
  • pond scumpond scum Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Living the dream life.

I'll also echo the wife and the toenails thing. She's game for just about anywhere I take her whether in the middle of the swamp or 60 miles offshore but don't mess with her "nail day". :shrug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file