Anyone been north in pine channel to upper harbor?

Got the boat cleaned up and fired up this weekend. Picked our way through the canal and buzzed north on pine channel toward upper harbor area.

Tide was medium level - not high not low, and in the area where you have to cut across between the two mangrove islands (near the back way to the content). It looked like new bars formed blocking the way through.

Did not want to run the big boat through it and turned around. Question - has anyone run that channel? Is it blocked or was I just seeing churned up mud?

Thanks, bo

Ps - how awesome to run the boat again and relax a bit. Went back south and out past little palm. Our water is still beautiful out there. No matter what happens we are blessed!
Bo G.
Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl

Replies

• piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,796 Captain
    yep be careful
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 268 Officer
    Tell me more Harlan. Can you still navigate through there with a boat bigger than a skiff?

I am sure the changes out there are radical. I swear I saw dry land where fairly deep water used to be. I turned around because my Parker is a solid 18 inch draft on plane.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • GotTarponGotTarpon Posts: 157 Deckhand
    wow we finally launched today after bringing shovels to the boat ramp on 4a and cleaned the ramp. ran out to little palm and back around by coupon. what a mess. The channel is good from the bridge by dolphin marina or what use to be, all the way out newfound harbor clear
    Yes it is open to the mouth of the bite. Little palm is a pretty sad sight

Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 932 Officer
    woodytoo wrote: »

Tide was medium level - not high not low, and in the area where you have to cut across between the two mangrove islands (near the back way to the content). It looked like new bars formed blocking the way through.

This is the E/W cut through at the south end of Water keys? Now not passable? Did your idle over to see? Perhaps just floating mats looking like a bar?
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 2,796 Captain
    do it but travel slow w/ all eyes on deck at water-i have seen submerged boats, mangroves, dock lumber, etc.
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes that is the cut I was referring to. Did not get a good look I didn’t want to come off a plane in the Parker. It sure looked like mud to me, can not confirm.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 932 Officer
    woodytoo wrote: »
    Yes that is the cut I was referring to. Did not get a good look I didn’t want to come off a plane in the Parker. It sure looked like mud to me, can not confirm.

I have run that hundreds of times over many years. If that cut is now not passable it will be a extremely inconvenient not to mention create lots of extra running inefficiencies. I suspect it is still good as there was never any issue there in any previous storm and its about 2' at most low tides if you run it correctly. There is a long bar that will expose sometimes that runs NW to SE parallel with the correct line to near the south end of water key and maybe that is what you saw at a distance with some weeds piled up on it. If you run just south of that between the two keys there has always been enough water for a skiff although it can get tight at dead low. I won't be running that area until later this month to check.
    As have I - run that channel for years with big and small boats. That is why i asked the question, I did not like what I saw and was looking for a confirmation.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • sushiseekersushiseeker Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Path in red is normal path. Orange X can expose at low tides.
  • F M TF M T Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Path in red is normal path. Orange X can expose at low tides.

The op was suggesting that is now not passable.
    Have you run it at low tide after the hurricane to confirm that it is passable as the image indicates?
  • sushiseekersushiseeker Posts: 36 Deckhand
    F M T wrote: »
    The op was suggesting that is now not passable.
    Have you run it at low tide after the hurricane to confirm that it is passable as the image indicates?

No, sorry, to be clear: The orange X may be what the OP saw. I may run the cut this weekend
    in a skiff and will report back if I do. With spring tides this last weekend, there were some low
    tides.
  • F M TF M T Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    No, sorry, to be clear: The orange X may be what the OP saw. I may run the cut this weekend
    in a skiff and will report back if I do. With spring tides this last weekend, there were some low
    tides.

I think the exposed bank near the X is what he saw probably with extra weeds blown up there.
    I hope someone does run it and prove me wrong. Like I said it looked like mud where I never saw it before and I pulled out.

Here is the google earth shot of where I am talking about. Having trouble orienting myself on the shot above.

The area where I saw the mud was between the small northern mangrove key to the left of the circle in the pic and the cut - if that makes sense. It looked like the bar that runs beside the cut pushed down across our normal route.

It was indeed king tide last weekend, but I made sure there was good water before we made our test run.

Like I said - hope I am wrong.

Ps - the image is in the next reply, and that is a before Irma pic
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
  • Skinny RunningSkinny Running Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    No problem running through there post irma at neg. tide. I found no change at all from a year ago. You were looking at stuff blown up on the bank. From a distance it can be deceiving.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file