Half cent sales tax hike straight to the crapper.

Replies

• GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 96 Greenhorn

Just drove over both rivers on 520 today....holy cow. IRL doesn't look so bad, but the Banana looks like a porta-potty after a 3-day music festival. Its crazy to think that we're only in February...

• KelsoKelso Posts: 19 Greenhorn

The Banana is in really bad shape.. and it seems to get progressively worse every year. This time of year is usually when the water actually cleans up, especially where I typically fish in thousand islands in Cocoa Beach. I am sure the warm month we are having in February is not helping.. has anyone been out in the NMZ lately? Might need to invest in a good push pole and take the motor off the gheenoe...

• NoleLifeNoleLife Posts: 43 Greenhorn

Indian River from at least 192 south past hog point are the same doodoo brown as the Banana...east wind pushed all the crap up to the front street ramp too so it even smells like a porta-potty after a music festival

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 18,508 AG

Wind has the water stirred up in Sebastian...... back to looking real bad.

There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain

North side of 528 has about 4" of vis. Sucks pretty much everywhere. Should be gin clear this time of year...warm or not.

Is there any progress at all being made at this problem? From what I can tell, it is just getting worse..

• whole lot of lovewhole lot of love Posts: 46 Greenhorn

someone is ringing up the cash register collecting our sales tax. what fools we are

• ChadChad Posts: 106 Deckhand

@whole lot of love said:
    someone is ringing up the cash register collecting our sales tax. what fools we are

There was a thread on here prior to the vote debating this. My take, as opined in the thread, is ALWAYS vote no on taxing yourself if you have the opportunity b/c the thieves are going to steal your money one way or another where you get no say at all. Now look at this debacle. The ironic part is that the lagoon would be in the same condition it is right now if we were not paying the extra 1/2 cent and everyone would be saying "see, we should have voted it in and you'd be seeing the results".

In America...we always need to solve complex problems....simply and quickly.

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • FishseekerFishseeker Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    Hey guys - there is a preview tonight of the 2018 report card for the IRL (Banana River included) at FIT in Melbourne.  2940 Science Circle.
    hoping that Teej, Joe the dunk man,Gecko and Johninfl will attend and report back.  
    I just left Cocoa Beach and am sickened by the water in the no-longer -grand canal behind my house in Convair Cove.

questions to ask:  1. Assuming there is ongoing reasearch to provide analytical data (science) to inform decisions is there a data base where one can review these data? 
    2. Is there a proposal being considered to ameliorate to problem with the vittrified clay (orange burg) sewerage lines? Prolapsed plastic liners for example?
    3.  Are there data available that shows the effects, great or nominal, of residential fertilizing?
    4.  Regarding efficacy of filtering suspended algae from the water column:  Are any small scale pilot demonstrations planned?

hope to hear something from you guys
    adios
    David

• HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    I think that is every country. I don't know of one country that methodically solves their problems like the Liberal Democracy in Star Trek.  Truth is we are doing it just as well or bad as everyone else.

IMO the biggest problem here is that it doesn't impact the flow of money.  Melbourne/Palm Bay would still be the same economically if the Indian River became the same as the Yellow River in China.  Like most countries on this planet we have a tug of war between capitalistic protectionism and the push towards futuristic thinking.  In most cases money wins.  This is also why humans are doomed to extinction instead of colonizing other planets.
    Hey guys - there is a preview tonight of the 2018 report card for the IRL (Banana River included) at FIT in Melbourne.  2940 Science Circle.
    hoping that Teej, Joe the dunk man,Gecko and Johninfl will attend and report back.  
    I just left Cocoa Beach and am sickened by the water in the no-longer -grand canal behind my house in Convair Cove.

questions to ask:  1. Assuming there is ongoing reasearch to provide analytical data (science) to inform decisions is there a data base where one can review these data? 
    2. Is there a proposal being considered to ameliorate to problem with the vittrified clay (orange burg) sewerage lines? Prolapsed plastic liners for example?
    3.  Are there data available that shows the effects, great or nominal, of residential fertilizing?
    4.  Regarding efficacy of filtering suspended algae from the water column:  Are any small scale pilot demonstrations planned?

adios
    David

Pete Hinke ( Palm Beach Pete) is going...

I'm going to the St Johns WRAC meeting in Palm bay... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

adios
    David

The St Johns WMD has already done a project on Lake Jessup with N  and P ....bu I am sure it will also filter biomass.  the companys name is
     " Aquafiber"....the process works...and is scalable...but like anything...it ain't free. 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I read about the pilot done using aqua fiber in L Jessup.
    they pumped at 13+ mil liters per day average.  That seems significant, 6+ acft (check my math).
    you said scalable but is it at all mobile?  I know the Tetra Tech report dismissed as too costly.  But this program is slated to collect $300M, correct?   I believe that mom nature can heal herself, given enough time and our philosophy on overpollution changes - but not in most our life times will this happen without removal of tons of biomass.  Let’s block off a canal in Cocoa Beach and run this for a week to see what changes occur, collecting samples/data before, during and after.
    I guarantee you if you can prove that the decline of the lagoon system is contributing to the extinction of a very niche organism you will force the governments hand to put the required funds towards the lagoon.  Look how far California went to save a species of smelt....
    Check out the post from Fox 35 on this issue..https://www.facebook.com/DerrolNailFOX35/
    They are reporting sewage leaks and discharges are the main culprit 
    Follow the link from Fox 35 to see the video..https://www.facebook.com/DerrolNailFOX35/
  • redsnducksredsnducks Posts: 50 Greenhorn

Dr. Barile is dead on....I am interested to see what the testing would look like for Grand Canal system where everyone is on "sanitary sewer".  I put in quotes because we have been saying for years, though others don't want to admit, that our sanitary sewers for all practical purposes function as septic tank leach fields.  While removing muck certainly gives the appearance of doing something, it is essentially the equivalent of bringing in a vac truck to have a septic tank pumped....the sludge/muck is going to come back.  Fertilizer reductions are great, better stormwater management is essential, but prioritizing areas near IRL where septic tanks need to be taken out of service immediately and replacing leaking sewer lines is where it's at - and unfortunately where the cost will be billions.    The FACT that you can buy a parcel of land tomorrow on S. Merritt Island and get a permit to install a septic tank (yes it is a fancy version - but it still sends N to groundwater) is ludicrous.  Hopefully there will be some major implications associated with repeated failures of BMAP goals for IRL - unfortunately, we are in an 8 yr cycle where regulatory enforcement in FL has been completely gutted (oops it is not even called enforcement anymore it is the office of business support!).  The only reason we are not dumping wastewater plant sewage into IRL anymore is because of EPA....unfortunately, there will not be any enforcement from them in the near future either.

• bbailey_33bbailey_33 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    edited February 23 #111
    de-mucking first is just like mopping your floor before repairing the broken pipe.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,562 Captain
    You mean with out repairing the pipe.
    Enjoying dither discussion and most comments.  A couple questions
    1. Kelso sent a url - a link to fox 35.  I’m not able to read/ see as i’m One of the five on the planet not following Facebook 
    2. Redsnducks wrote the “Dr. Barile is dead on...”. Can you elaborate? 
    3.  Does anyone have knowledge on allocation of 1/2 cent tax.?  Which projects are funded first?  Are there data/science to support which projects are funded first?
    4.  What government organization makes the determination?

Gecko, you have anything on this?
    Did Pete attend the soirée last week?  Any revelations from the resource council?

keep smil’n
    adios
    david
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 960 Officer
    Here is the link to the original video.  Pretty depressing......

http://www.fox35orlando.com/local-news/315126628-video
    Is the St. Johns river polluted as well?
  • Lunch Money SurfLunch Money Surf Posts: 1,026 Officer

Dr. Barile is dead on....I am interested to see what the testing would look like for Grand Canal system where everyone is on "sanitary sewer".  I put in quotes because we have been saying for years, though others don't want to admit, that our sanitary sewers for all practical purposes function as septic tank leach fields.  While removing muck certainly gives the appearance of doing something, it is essentially the equivalent of bringing in a vac truck to have a septic tank pumped....the sludge/muck is going to come back.  Fertilizer reductions are great, better stormwater management is essential, but prioritizing areas near IRL where septic tanks need to be taken out of service immediately and replacing leaking sewer lines is where it's at - and unfortunately where the cost will be billions.    The FACT that you can buy a parcel of land tomorrow on S. Merritt Island and get a permit to install a septic tank (yes it is a fancy version - but it still sends N to groundwater) is ludicrous.  Hopefully there will be some major implications associated with repeated failures of BMAP goals for IRL - unfortunately, we are in an 8 yr cycle where regulatory enforcement in FL has been completely gutted (oops it is not even called enforcement anymore it is the office of business support!).  The only reason we are not dumping wastewater plant sewage into IRL anymore is because of EPA....unfortunately, there will not be any enforcement from them in the near future either.

Depressing and 100% on the mark.
    Thanks Net 30
    Hoping to read Dr Barile’s recent publication.  Puzzled by the colorometric map he showed as being septic tank or sewage hot spots, that the map included the NMZ.  Is that likely  based on anecdotal evidence, perhaps high concentrations of the algae specie that is closely associated with human sewage?
    can there be much waste coming from the cape?  Hard to imagine much if, any migrating from the west side.
    Let me know if someone has a link to his report - hoping to see his recommendations for using the tax $

thanks
    adios
    david
  • ChadChad Posts: 106 Deckhand
    There's been threads on here that cited the "experts" (I am sure paid by the county) claim the sewage is 1% of the problem (point source), unless my understanding of that term is inaccurate.  In fact, I have seen it argued on here on threads from people when that figure is challenged because it seems so preposterously low.  So Dr Barile's assertions appear in direct conflict with that and also in line with what you would think makes sense when RAW SEWAGE is pumped millions of gallons at a time into the lagoon.  But they want to keep selling the 1% story?  GMAFB.  $$$$$Why$$$$$  Good to see someone calling it out.

Here's a 1% thread: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/3071539#Comment_3071539 

Oh yea, in other news how much $$$ is going to get washed out to sea when the DIRT they just spent millions dumping on the beach the past month goes bye bye next week.  In other news, NOAA is funding another 10 million dollar red snapper study in the gulf.  10 million dollars.  Our government is out of control on all levels.  Egregious.  Egregious.  Egregious.  
  • FyrestormFyrestorm Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    And here's the 1/2 cent sale tax plan.  Tackles many things but in small quantities.  

http://loveourlagoon.com/BCsave-our-lagoon-project-plan_final.pdf
  • redsnducksredsnducks Posts: 50 Greenhorn
    Chad said:
    There's been threads on here that cited the "experts" (I am sure paid by the county) claim the sewage is 1% of the problem (point source), unless my understanding of that term is inaccurate.  In fact, I have seen it argued on here on threads from people when that figure is challenged because it seems so preposterously low.  So Dr Barile's assertions appear in direct conflict with that and also in line with what you would think makes sense when RAW SEWAGE is pumped millions of gallons at a time into the lagoon.  But they want to keep selling the 1% story?  GMAFB.  $$$$$Why$$$$$  Good to see someone calling it out.

Here's a 1% thread: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/comment/3071539#Comment_3071539 

Oh yea, in other news how much $$$ is going to get washed out to sea when the DIRT they just spent millions dumping on the beach the past month goes bye bye next week.  In other news, NOAA is funding another 10 million dollar red snapper study in the gulf.  10 million dollars.  Our government is out of control on all levels.  Egregious.  Egregious.  Egregious.  

The 1% is correct from a true point source perspective and definition....which means direct end of pipe discharges to an outfall.  The raw sewage leaks/spills actually do represent a tiny fraction....what is constantly glazed over is leaking sewer lines that are the responsibility of the owning Agencies, such as Brevard County, and the portions of the connections we as homeowners are responsible for.  Talk is usually septics, septics, we are now FINALLY starting to see leaking underground sewers AND septics being referenced.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file