Holy wicked tuna!

After looking at the upcoming forecast for the week and realizing there will be no boating this week I received the attached photo from my son at school. The fish he is holding is the other half of a double hook up. The fish in the photo was caught on a 50 using a live tinker mackerel. My son's fish which was reported to be larger was hooked on spinning tackle on a swim bait. They killed the first fish after a 40 minute fight and broke the second fish off at the boat after 1.5 hours. He is claiming a catch on his fish. He said he had his fish within gaff range but they were not allowed to kill a second fish. A variation of a Palm Beach release I believe the family bluefin tuna record is still open.

They were fishing east of Cape Cod. I assume sushi for all hands at Mass. Maritime Academy tonight.

Fireman Bill

Replies

• OldSaltOldSalt Posts: 129 Officer
    Southeast forum report?

Can I report on my brother's YUGE halibut in Alaska?! :wink

Nice fish wrong forum....:cool

Mr. Moderator?
  • wiggly wormwiggly worm Posts: 93 Deckhand
    OldSalt wrote: »
    Southeast forum report?

Can I report on my brother's huge halibut in Alaska?! :wink

I bet you’re lots of fun at parties! Nice fish FB.
  • Fireman BillFireman Bill Posts: 524 Officer
    I live in the southeast section where would you like me to post the report?
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 63 Deckhand
    Fireman Bill, disregard old salt he is an old fart with zero personality. Thanks for sharing

Instagator
  • flknifemakerflknifemaker Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Nice report, cool photo too . What kind of boat ?fancy live well
  • Kim ChiKim Chi Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Thank you for sharing your reports.
    Kim Fraser
    Fraser Group, Inc.
    KimFraserHomes@Gmail.com
  • P91473P91473 Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    InstaGator wrote: »
    Fireman Bill, disregard old salt he is an old fart with zero personality. Thanks for sharing

Instagator

Funny though. Yep, that's a Bluefish.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 267 Deckhand
    Thanks for sharing
  • rgambotzrgambotz Posts: 221 Officer
    Nice Feeesh!
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,372 Captain
    OldSalt wrote: »
    Southeast forum report?

Can I report on my brother's YUGE halibut in Alaska?! :wink

Mr. Moderator?

Lighten up Francis! This is the reason so many members are not posting anymore on here.

FB is proud of his son and his catch, and rightfully so! Bill, thanks for posting and giving us something to look at this week.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • Beer moneyBeer money Posts: 69 Greenhorn
    Go figure this guy again...go away please. Nobody wants negative posts on this forum. Great catch!
  • Boca KrisBoca Kris Posts: 123 Officer
    Wow...nice catch. Watch out for the forum ****'s....jeez. Grab a beer and chill out.
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Pass the soy sauce pls!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 246 Deckhand
    Nice fish ..
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,345 Admiral
    I want to be your son! Love the pic
  • CaptNemoCaptNemo Posts: 149 Officer
    Did he use a charter out of Mass? If so, do you know which one?
    It was not on a charter.

Fireman Bill
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 555 Officer
    Awesome catch! When I grow up I want to go to school there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • fishinfinatikfishinfinatik Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Fireman Bill I have enjoyed many of your posts over the years. Pls pay no attention to the knucklehead. If you want to brag on your son and his great catch, go right ahead. It is an incredible fish and I appreciate you posting it. Some folks believe they get some kind of bonus points for being jerks.
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,400 Captain
    nice fish!
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • johnalkijohnalki Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Wow that"s a nice catch considering the opening and closing of the species going on this year.
    Thanks for posting the photo of your son and his catch on OUR forum here in SE FLORIDA and you are a proud papa:fishing
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,317 Captain
    Lighten up Francis! This is the reason so many members are not posting anymore on here.

FB is proud of his son and his catch, and rightfully so! Bill, thanks for posting and giving us something to look at this week.

X-2

Well said Dave. (why in the world would anyone want to rain on someones parade? Salt, you must be one miserable SOB...)

FB - GREAT POST! and most welcome. Love seeing that kind of stuff. Your son's made you proud for sure!
    :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pura Vida!
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 792 Officer
    I bet you’re lots of fun at parties! Nice fish FB.

:Spittingcoffee
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 5,982 Admin
    Great fish, especially on a 50. Did he fight it in a chair or standing up?

As for OldSalt, we have suggested that he refrain from the negative comments.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 964 Officer
    Then he will have nothing to contribute:grin
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,243 Captain
    lol, go away for a couple months, come back, same crap show in this forum with zero help from mods.
    Nice catch
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,372 Captain
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    Great fish, especially on a 50. Did he fight it in a chair or standing up?

As for OldSalt, we have suggested that he refrain from the negative comments.

brianb wrote: »
    lol, go away for a couple months, come back, same crap show in this forum with zero help from mods.
    Nice catch

:rotflmao Ummm, OK
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,827 Captain
    Nice catch.

A lot of tuna get caught off the cape. Some of them are pretty darn big. There are a few classic go-to spots up there, but the fish move around and can be hit or miss anywhere in those waters. Most guys up there go 100 miles out to hit their honey hole. A few guys know how to get them less than 5 miles out.

When I was a kid, most of the fish that size came in on trolling rigs. Throwing top water plugs at them is a more recent fad. Live baiting was always present up there, but has not been truly popular until recently.

A 40 minute fight on a fish like that is actually pretty quick. Those things are strong fish with a lot of stamina.
    My wife showed me a photo our son sent to her of a brick sized piece of seared bluefin tuna served with a whole lobster. Really! I want to go to school on Cape Cod!

Fireman Bill
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,827 Captain
    Yea, the cape seems tempting in the summer, but I've seen ice on the bow rail as early as October up there. The list of year round residents is a lot smaller than the list of people who summer on the sand bar.

Also, your son may have caught that fish just in time.

https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/
    NMFS closes the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) General category fishery for large medium and giant BFT (measuring 73" curved fork length or greater) effective 11:30 p.m. October 5, 2017, through November 30, 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file