Billy pate salmon direct drive fly reel

First question
Can the older Billy pate salmon direct drive reels be switched from right to left hand wind easily?
Second question
On the reel body up by the foot it has
T 393 Stamped into it
What does that mean?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    I'll answer your last question first... The letter and numbers are your reel's serial number...

Now for the bad news -you'll need a change of parts to be able to change the reel winding side. Go to tibor.com and find out if they still make or stock those
    parts. The last I heard... they didn't.

If you do find the parts, they'll be expensive...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,785 Captain
    Forgot to mention... I still own two Pate reels -a Bonefish and a Tarpon (and I'd love to own a Salmon model...) they're almost bullet-proof - although a bit old-fashioned and heavy. They've long been out of production and Tibor has had a new line of reels for some years now. Those Pate reels, though, will literally last a lifetime, and still be in good working order when you pass them along to the next generation.... Many aren't aware that there isn't one ball bearing in them - they were carefully machined to close tolerances from solid bar stock aluminum with stainless fastenings and they're smooth as glass -both when winding in line or while you're hanging on and watching line pulled off against a classic cork drag... Teddy built great reels - and the company he started is still doing just that....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file