Almost run over by someone texting

StevebSteveb Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I never thought this would happen. Anchored 1/2 mile from the channel fishing South of Gandy this past Saturday.
Saw a 40'-50' sailboat under power a mile away headed right for me, I thought I will keep an eye on him but he will see me and veer off. 200 yds away I got nervous, started waving my arms- still headed right for me. 100 yds away straight for me- starting to panic- hit my horn 4 times, nothing 60 yds hit another 3 or 4 times finally he woke up and saw me and veered off. Wife on the stern legs up on the gunnel looking aft, so called captain looking at his lap top sitting on his lap. I of course let a few expletive's fly- she looked up for 2 seconds then looked away, he never looked up. I guess he had it on auto pilot, was at the stern- no way he could see anything in front of him.

I guess after a few people get killed from this we will have to pass a law no texting behind the wheel of a boat
Stay safe

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,091 Officer
    The same thing can happen with a person who is farsighted and needs reading glasses to see detail on his chart plotter. They will stare at the screen for long periods to try and figure out where they are, and if the are not using bifocals they really can't see what's in front of them when they look up unless they remove the reading glasses. (I have been on a boat where the "captain" was guilty of this)
    Giimoozaabi
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 4,661 Captain
    Couple Months ago a Navy Ship hit a Container Ship..or vise versa...WTH !
    Trust but Verify..
    Anybody can buy a boat....anybody,,
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • SaltySardineSaltySardine Posts: 140 Deckhand
    but the real question here....was his wife hot?
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 412 Deckhand
    a big heavy jig on their deck or house gets attention too!
  • Mako224Mako224 Posts: 416 Deckhand
    Try that offshore at night with a freighter. I am sure that is not texting related but I am sure autopilot is on and they are not moving course for a 23' CC. I am glad I have MMIS that alarms at a certain distance
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 830 Officer
    Mako224 wrote: »
    I am glad I have MMIS that alarms at a certain distance

Medicaid Management Information System:huh
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,322 Moderator
    Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI)

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral
    Steveb wrote: »
    I never thought this would happen. Anchored 1/2 mile from the channel fishing South of Gandy this past Saturday.
    Saw a 40'-50' sailboat under power a mile away headed right for me, I thought I will keep an eye on him but he will see me and veer off. 200 yds away I got nervous, started waving my arms- still headed right for me. 100 yds away straight for me- starting to panic- hit my horn 4 times, nothing 60 yds hit another 3 or 4 times finally he woke up and saw me and veered off. Wife on the stern legs up on the gunnel looking aft, so called captain looking at his lap top sitting on his lap. I of course let a few expletive's fly- she looked up for 2 seconds then looked away, he never looked up. I guess he had it on auto pilot, was at the stern- no way he could see anything in front of him.

I guess after a few people get killed from this we will have to pass a law no texting behind the wheel of a boat
    Stay safe

How can he be texting if he was asleep? Or was he texting while on his laptop? What does texting have to do with your near miss?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 930 Officer

@Steveb said:

Stay safe

It looks like there is a law proposed right now for texting and driving a vehicle. I wonder if it will apply to watercraft.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 5,910 Admiral
    edited February 2 #11

It'd be even harder to prove.
    Should just take autopilot away from rec anglers/boaters.

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 1,747 Captain

Yeah, because none of us use it correctly. :/

• snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 213 Deckhand

Next time, unload a clip!! It'll dam sure get his attention.

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 452 Deckhand

Unfortunately people on the water think that they have the right of way under all circumstances. Just an extension of today's society.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file