Halibut? Just a big flounder!

Since this forum is my home forum I thought I would share my latest trip from out here in the great northwest. I am working in Oregon and decided since I am already here to try my hand at a Pacific Halibut. Newport, Oregon has some excellent charters, and I took passage on the Enterprise with Capt. Dave from Newport Tradewinds charters. The fishing grounds were about an hour and 40 min from port, or about 25 - 30 miles out, and with a very short season there were a lot of boats there. Seas were not bad for up here, about a 3-4ft wind wave on top of a 6 ft swell, with the temp in the high 50s and a 50% chance of rain, not your typical Florida weather. I had asked the Captain if anyone had ever caught a Halibut on a spinning reel on his boat and he looked at me and said "You know we will be fishing in 6 to 7 hundred feet right?" So I said, "No problem"... Captain Dave sure had them locked in because on the first drop we were hooked up as soon as it hit bottom. Boat limited out on 3 drifts and were back at dock in 6 hours total, usually a 12 hour trip... It is nice to check out fishing in other locals just to remind myself how good we have it in south Florida.... By the way, Stella 20000 on a Terez 6'9'' impressed the Captain... Florida style!
Any day on the water...., you know the rest....

• ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,064 Captain
    Nicely done, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to give Halibut a try.
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 192 Deckhand
    Thanks Shoeless, its about like deep drop back home in Florida, and the meat is really good....
    Any day on the water...., you know the rest....

• bambam78bambam78 Posts: 555 Officer
    Way to represent Florida! Halibut on a spinning reel!

Thanks for the report. That's some great eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,092 Moderator
    I like me some halibut ! Caught some in Cali and Alaska . Nice job.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,840 Captain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file