what if somebody on my boat doesnt have a license?

backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 59 Greenhorn
I have always wondered. Not a commercial boat. Am I in any trouble? Also, what is somebody has a fish out of season or under sized? Thanks

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,405 Captain
    The license issue would fall onto the person without the license. The out of season or undersize fish would be on you as the Captain if the person who caught it didn't man up and take responsibility. By the way those are not tickets, they are actually misdemeanor crimes and you could be subject to arrest.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,053 Captain
    Yep. That's how they explained it to me when we got caught with a 1/2" short amberjack. If the guy who caught the fish doesn't acknowledge that it's his fish, it falls on the captain/boat owner.
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    Thanx guys
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,548 Captain
    As long as the unlicensed person is not seen by LEO with a rod in their hands, no problem.
  • Ron@.38 SpecialRon@.38 Special Posts: 6,632 Admiral
    And of course you can't keep the bag limit for the person with no license.
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Only fish in federal waters (past nine miles) and you need no license. OR--be 15 yrs old or over 64.
  • flatbrokeflatbroke Posts: 112 Deckhand
    State waters extend 9 miles out into the Gulf and 3 miles out in the Atlantic. And besides, unless you qualify for an exemption, it's illegal to land a fish in Florida — even from federal waters — without a Florida fishing license. Sorry, visiting anglers, you need a Florida fishing license.Nov 1, 2016
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,008 AG
    Only fish in federal waters (past nine miles) and you need no license. OR--be 15 yrs old or over 64.

I thought it was 65 and no license needed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • tagtag Posts: 8,668 Admiral
    Flash wrote: »
    I thought it was 65 and no license needed?

Well, 65 = over 64.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,008 AG
    tag wrote: »
    Well, 65 = over 64.

Kinda thought that too. "65 and over". I am good
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • NorthernNorthern Posts: 666 Officer

Doesn't the over 65 rule for no license required only apply to Florida residents?

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 937 Officer

@showstopper said:

You need a Florida license 70 miles out of key west in dry tortuga.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,217 Captain
    edited February 17 #14

@showstopper said:

Not to get off topic, but that made me think of a question. If your over 65 & SW fishing & your from out of state do you have to buy a FL license or are you covered?

I see now someone already asked.

• fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,157 Officer

65 and older applies to Florida residents only. Out of state folks need to have a license.

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 4,405 Captain

What the dsh said

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file