Catfish ID ??

Lake Harney (Geneva, FL) area and Mullet Lake Park area St. Johns River. Take a look at the pictures and reply which catfish you think this would be. To my knowledge we have Channel Cats, Butter Cats (Yellow Bullhead) , Brown Bullheads. Also in the River there is White Catfish but not one I am familiar with...I don't think so anyway. So please chime in and let me know what you think.
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• rckdvrckdv Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Thats a white.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 570 Officer
    I was thinking Brown Bull...Whites have the Sharp Fork Tail like the Channel don't they?
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,050 Moderator
    Says whites have a fork but not as sharp as a channel , 19 - 23 rays on the rounded anal fin.
    White.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mplspugmplspug Lake Mary, FloridaPosts: 5,306 Admiral
    I don't think the chin barbels are white enough for a white cat. I don't think it's a brown either. I'd say yellow off the top of my head, but I don't know that they get that big. And I think that anal fin is closer to a black bullhead.

Captain Todd Approves

This Catfish pictured that I was raised calling a Bull (Gr'pa said..LOL) was 3# 14oz (54% of Record BULL or 21% of Record White) and that is the largest I have ever caught in the locations that I was raised on and still fish on the St Johns. If it is a White keep in mind that the State Record is almost 19 pounds and I'd think that surely there would have been one in my life over the typical 1.5 to 3 pounds by now. In comparison my largest Channel Cat is right at 27#'s (61% of Record) vs state record @ 44#.
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 235 Officer
    Definitely not a white. I am honestly not 100% sure on the species though so not guessing
    Wanted to give this a bump and hopefully other members will add to the thread. We did not get 100% verification from the state based on pictures. I am going to effort catching the only three Cats Ive ever seen on river (down here).
  • Travis GTravis G Posts: 490 Deckhand
    Blue cat
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 772 Officer
    Looks like a White imo
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • Phantom309Phantom309 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Open mouthed cat .....
  • baitstealerbaitstealer Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Not a blue,they have a straight edged anal fin.My 1st thought was a channel,but the head doesn't look right.(Eyes too far apart,and mouth too big)I'm not familiar with white catfish,and I don't think bullheads get that big(at least here in Indiana).
    Yes, agree on size...the biggest I have ever seen. Growing up they were never bigger than 1.5 to 2#. No Pressure and plenty of food equals...BIG. I think the record is around 9#.
    Not a blue,they have a straight edged anal fin.My 1st thought was a channel,but the head doesn't look right.(Eyes too far apart,and mouth too big)I'm not familiar with white catfish,and I don't think bullheads get that big(at least here in Indiana).
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    That's a big *** bull. No doubt in my mind.
    It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.
    Ok, I think we have it. There are four types of Bullhead Cats in our area and they the Black, Brown, Yellow and White. See links for description. The Catfish shown on this thread is a White Bullhead Catfish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_bullhead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameiurus

Thanks for all the input and comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file