VHF Antenna Failure

Just installed a VHF radio on my center console. I rail mounted a Shakespeare 36" skinny mini antenna. After one trip, I noticed the wire had fallen out of the bottom of the antenna. It seems like a low quality type of connection as it was simply stripped back, inserted and secured with shrink wrap. My question is - Is there a shop in Jax that does antenna installations? I just need this antenna fixed, or a new antenna properly installed.

Replies

• BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,086 Admiral
    I'd be glad to help you.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Great, I'll give your shop a call tomorrow
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Tony, just wondering, what if instead of a catastrophic failure like above (wire falling out), you have a corroded coax connection degrading antenna performance? Is there any way to diagnose that? On CB radio (AM) can use a SWR (standing wave ratio) meter to measure antenna performance. Is there anything similar to measure VHF (FM) antenna performance?
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,086 Admiral
    Bird makes the best vhf watt meter but it is expensive. Shakespeare makes a much cheaper one that does the basic checks pretty well too.

However, it only takes a few minutes to solder on a new Pl259 connector.

We test two things.... watts output, which is supposed to be close to 25, and watts reflected which will also show bad connections or an antenna it's self bad.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 126 Deckhand
    Thank you. I have the same antenna as the OP, which has no coax connector on the bottom, just the coax entering through the antenna base so no way to visually **** corrosion on the internal connection. Sounds like the watts reflected would reveal that. Out of curiosity, what value of reflected watts represents good connections? On CB (AM) an SWR of 1.1 represents the holy grail of perfect conections, representing the 10% loss of energy in coverting the transmission signal from electrical to electromagnetic wave. Just wondering if the transmission loss is similar for VHF and what number represents "good".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file