High Speed Trolling question

Been out of the game for a while. High speed trolling was just taking off the last time I had a boat big enough

So my question is, when you are high speed trolling for wahoo (16-18 knots?) are you just targeting them or does everything else (i.e. tuna, dolphin, sails,) hit at that speed as well.

I plan on fishing a lot in West Palm area and was wondering where to start building my tackle. Those high speed lures are EXPENSIVE

Thanks

Replies

• mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 545 Officer
    That's pretty much all that will hit at that speed.
    Mike
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,110 Admiral
    You are liable to catch anything, high speed trolling....but if you are thinking of down sizing your tackle to handle the occasional kingfish or dolphin...the experts will all agree to do not down size.

50 wide is what is recommended minimum....

You can catch fish on 30's...but when that big girl shows up, you'll be grossly under matched, and stand a better chance of losing 100 dollars worth of gear.

just sayin'...( if that was your question.)

Then again, not sure what the average size palm beach wahoo is either.
    mikeg32225 wrote: »
    That's pretty much all that will hit at that speed.
    Mike

Kingfish, blackfin, marlin...occasional sail and dolphin....have all been caught while wahoo-ing
  • blackcloudblackcloud Posts: 142 Deckhand
    I guess what I am trying to ask is, when you are high speed trolling, are you limiting yourself to mostly wahoo and the occasional other fish or do you catch just as much variety.

And if you are limiting yourself to wahoo, is high speed trolling for them that much better that you would want to do that instead of normal troll speeds that would get you more of a variety

Thanks for the replies. This all might sound stupid but like I said, haven't trolled in a while
    Gotcha......

yes, except for the odd fish, high speeding with wahoo tackle and big lures the catch rate is mostly wahoo.and high speeding is the "IN-THING" NOW-DAYS...

the guys who troll ballyhoo rigged, naturally do that slower, so as not to wash out their baits, and then the chances for a mixture are greatly increased.

...this is what I understand it to be....i'm sure somebody more in the know than me will chime in though....
    Sea Snake wrote: »
    Gotcha......

yes, except for the odd fish, high speeding with wahoo tackle and big lures the catch rate is mostly wahoo.and high speeding is the "IN-THING" NOW-DAYS...

...this is what I understand it to be....i'm sure somebody more in the know than me will chime in though....

This is what I was thinking.

Does high speed trolling increase the bite because of the speed or because you can cover more ground?
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Posts: 938 Officer
    my experience.... High speeding gets wahoo bite 90-95% of the time... have caught a big mahi and a couple of stinking baracuda's but mostly hoos...

my imaginary theory.... they can't stand to see all those bubbles and huge lure (fish) getting away from them... I think they get offended at the thought of a big baitfish trying to out swim them...:huh

and like Daddy Snake said... don't go chimpin on the reels... and make sure you have some kind of lanyard to tie the rod/reel to the boat so you don't loose anything... good luck and post a pic when you get em' :fishing
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Bent Butt 50Ws at a Minimum...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Jeff_HollidayJeff_Holliday Posts: 500 Officer
    When my 20 year old Penn 50sws die they'll be replaced with Avet EX50/2s. These will catch anything around here, weight 20 oz. less than a typical 50w, have higher drag availability, and are $150 less. Load it with braid for high speeding and throw a top shot on for meat.

To add to your question, highspeeding is typically done during the wahoo run(now). The other pelagic aren't around in numbers just yet. When they are, most guys will switch to bait opening the opportunities for other species.
    Ahhh, now I'm understanding it

Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,434 Captain
    About 18 years ago, before spectra, before 911, I lugged a 12/0 filled with monel to the East Cape in Baja Mexico. I was thinking Wahoo.
    After a nice day of catching some YFTs up to 90 lbs. on Cabilitos (Goggle eyes) offshore we headed back to the beach. The Mexican Captain thought we were crazy when we told him we were going to put out a rod for the 15 knot ride home. I had the old fashioned Wahoo lure with a Islander in front of a big squid skirt stuffed with a big egg sinker. We weren't trolling for 5 minutes before a 250lb Blue snatched it. After a long and fun fight we released the fish after it scarred up the side of the boat big time. Needless to say the Captain was excited and got on the radio and started jabbering in Spanish to the other captains about the catch. To this day, I wonder if he ever started high speed trolling on his own.
    Bottom line is that most pelagic fish swim faster than your high speed spread.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ReefRocketReefRocket Jacksonville BeachPosts: 983 Officer
    I agree with others. From November to Spring, if I can get out with the winter seas, I do the high speed for 1/2 day. I like it becuase it elimantes other bycatch...AJ's, Sharks, and Cudas... And you get two more benifits, you get a reaction from the wahoo... and cover alot of ground. Downside, most CC burn gas like crazy trying it. I have 180 gallons of gas in a 23 ft Kencraft with twin Optimax 225's. I normally need to limit my high speeding to 1/2 day for gas reasons.. but many days in the winter, the day is short... and since I don't run in the dark, my day is limited...even if I can run out to the ledge 40 mph.

Have fun.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com
  • fishfinder22fishfinder22 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    If you slow down to 12-14 knots you will catch more of the other fish mentioned in this post and still catch a lot of wahoo
  • AAnglerAAngler Posts: 339 Officer
    I'm no expert, but I believe hi-speeding is an art form. It is specifically effective for minimizing by-catch. It has a 1000 different tiny things that make all the difference in the world. I've hi-speeded with Tiagra 30s (wide model) and was plenty effective. I bumped to 50s and became more effective and now I have a mix 80s/50s and they work great also. Hi-speeding wears on your gear and mostly your drags. I know this becuase I fish for wahoo year round...and they can be caught year round. I do subscribe to a migration theory somewhat for the seasonal myth. But I've caught big hoos year round, it's just a little harder to find them in the warmer months. I believe this is becuase the warmer water is spread throughout (inshore) and the definitive edges that hold bait in the winter are scattered and less discernible.
    My input:
    1.Get something you can afford in the 50w, keeping in mind you get exactly what you pay for. But most importantly if you go broke buying gear, you won't have gas money.
    2. Service your gear regularly.
    3. Build a network. Get some friends that love to hoo fish to help share the cost of fishing by sharing gear and gas money.
    4. Don't let your ego get in the way of your hoo-education. Fish with anyone, you don't need to be the captain. Self promotion (self-education) costs lots of money in tackle and gas.

Just my 2 cents...Tim
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 851 Officer
    Another reason for such large tackle is trying to get multiple strikes. Cant keep truckin at 13 knts if your spool is empty!

Hobbit free zone!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file