Christmas Eve LWI

Somehow found myself with nothing to do mid day on Christmas Eve. Wind seemed doable - 15 from the ENE. Inlet was sporty with a few five footers coming in but it wasn't bad once I got outside. Trolled a spread out to 200 with not much happening - some birds working around 125 and some flyers in there but that was it. Pointed back west and found some weed lining up in about 95'. Not exactly a weed line but not exactly scattered weed either. Followed that north and got my first hit towards the north end of Singer Island.

Looked at the depth finder and saw 90' and no jumps so was kind of thinking Bonita territory but once I got him close I saw Christmas tree green. What a sight for sore eyes. We all know the dolphin fishing has been slow so I was glad to see a green hornet coming to the boat. Not a big fish but a slinger anyway - I'll take it.

Made another pass running south through the area without a hit and then turned around and did it again running north. Hit a double in the same spot. This time they were jumping so I knew I had a couple more dolphin on. A little more size on the second two. I love catching fish.

Should I head home? I can see a squall out to the east but I think I have time for one more pass. Reload my spread and set a heading for my spot and it immediately begins to pour. Ok I can take a hint. Reel them up and point for home.

Glad to see the dolphin come in. They were in 95' off the northern end of singer island amongst the weeds and ate a ballyhoo, a skirted ballyhoo (blue and white islander) and a blue and silver Tormenter daisy chain. I think they would have eaten anything although their bellies were full of little silver fish the size of my fingernail.

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,780 Moderator
    Nice eve trip. Hey, you hung around a little longer and your gear got a free freshwater washdown :thumbsup

Keeping busy while away from Florida
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 231 Officer
    I like your thinking
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 940 Officer
    Love to see the kid cleaning the fish
  • LiveSouthFLLiveSouthFL Posts: 119 Officer
    Great job in smell sporty seas! Also, it is great to see a young angle that can clean fish! You've trained him well!
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    Ed Moore
    Live South Florida Realty, Inc.

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit:
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,257 Officer
    You came you saw you conquered, wtg and great memories w Jr angler!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
  • butts182butts182 Posts: 154 Deckhand
    Awesome! FYI, there is some good meat in the top of the head. Hopefully you got it too! It eats very well.
  • Angler ManagemntAngler Managemnt Posts: 1,072 Officer
    Tell him never cut towards his hand - always away!
    Merry Christmas
    Check out our Charter Fishing Videos: Click Here

Click Here for the 2017 Annual Seminar Details
  • Capt TommyCapt Tommy Posts: 258 Officer
    Ok. I was trying to refrain from commenting on fillet style. But I couldn't help but comment on the beer **** from the Betty Ford Clinic - that's just wrong!!! Lol. Good going on your day. Those little green things have been hard to come by.
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 231 Officer
    Thanks for the comments guys! As for Jacob's filleting style, after I posted that pic I looked at it and said, "how many times do I have to tell that kid...". But I think we all know, having been a ten year old boy once, anything your dad tells you goes in one ear and out the other the first fifty times he says it. As for the beer **** - there's nothing like some Florida Keys humor!
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 252 Officer
    Great job finding some dolphin. I don't think there are any more Bonita in that area because I'm pretty sure I have caught ALL of them. :(
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - AmBASSador
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 505 Officer
    Nice job and great report. What kind of beer does Jr drink while filleting ?��
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file